Author Topic: Your lo constipated? Try this!!  (Read 11269 times)

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Your lo constipated? Try this!!
« on: July 18, 2005, 03:34:48 am »
Ok.  I feel strange posting this but it worked like a charm for my lo, so I thought I would share it. 
My lo has been somewhat constipated lately (due to the fact she will not eat any solids that have fiber in them) and she has been turning red & purple in the face while straining to get poop out!!  I didn't think nothing of it since she does get some out, though very little & very hard. My girlfriend watched my lo last week & she noticed how fussy she was due to it.  She called me later that night & told me that she did a little trick her mom taught her kids to go to the bathroom when they were babies.  That day my lo had 3 bm. :shock: 

Today my lo was straining sooo hard that I got worried & called her & asked her exactly what she did.  She said to take a bar of soap & shave a strip off of it and mold it to where it's like a suppository about an inch long & insert into her bottom.  I did not want to do it, so I made my husband do it. :wink:   Within 5 seconds, my baby went poop!!!! It worked sooo well and she was so happy afterwards.  She did cry a little during but nothing too bad.

So there it is folks.  I'm sure there are other measures that will work just as well, but I just had to share this. :lol:

Kathy

Offline mattandcindy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 04:14:02 am »
Yes, this definitely works!
I am a nurse and we do this (modified) with adults. It is called a soap suds enema! It has been around forever. :D
Cindy

Offline Leann

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 23:02:09 pm »
Wow, this really works??  I'm afraid to try it.  Does it matter what sort of soap...?
Asher Walter, 21 Feb 2005
mostly textbook with a tiny bit of touchy

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 23:36:29 pm »
Probably a really nice smelling one? :lol:  Kidding aside, my ped recommended the same with a rectal thermometer.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm considering it since lo seems to be struggling to poop and we haven't even started solids yet.
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 23:41:50 pm »
I don't think so. But I would use a "mild" soap.
Cindy

Offline krice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 00:53:33 am »
Just did the "soap suppository trick" on my LO.  Actually made DH do the dirty work.  It only took about 5 seconds and then we had poop . . . boy did we have poop!  We used Ivory (in case you are wondering). Mind you the grunts and squeals to get it out were a little more than I expected.  I was thinking "Oh God, what have I done".  . . . but then it came out.  Earlier in the day I tried the thermometer probe and only got a little nugget - the soap suppository sure did the trick.
Cheers,

Kathy
Mom to Matthew (05-06-05)

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 01:21:54 am »
Krice -  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: My husband & I are still laughing because we thought the same thing when she went.  It came & came & more came out!!! 

Leann - We just used bar of shower soap (I think Dove) and made it very smooth.  Don't worry, it didn't hurt her.  She just didn't like something there, but once she went, boy was she smiling!!! :lol:

Kathy

Offline wilksterette

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • CHEEEEEEESE!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 22:17:09 pm »
My friends baby had the same problem. Her ped told her to use a q-tip with a touch of vaseline on it. It worked fine for her so she didn't have to worry about "molding" soap or a skin reaction (which my baby has had to soap).
Corrine
Corrine
Wife to Gary 01/07/05
Mom to Natalie 03/02/05
Mom to "Taylor" EDD 11/04/07

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 22:18:53 pm »
I'm debating about using this trick.  I think Asher might need it, but -- is this a stupid question? -- I can't tell if he's truly constipated or if he just doesn't need to go yet!  He sometimes will have a dirty diaper every day and sometimes he'll go for several days without having one.  He's had some rice cereal for a few days and has been doing some "grunting"...but will I hurt him if I try this and there wasn't really much wrong with him?  It's Friday and he hasn't gone since Monday.  He's gone this long before, but.....!!

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 23:01:15 pm »
Not too sure about the technique, but is it likely it works because a lot, if not most, soaps are glycerine based?  Glycerine, & glycerine suppositries are a remedy for constipation.

My only concern with this method is that the nature of the anus & rectum is to 'draw' things into it, and I personally would be a little concerned of soap getting drawn to far in, especially with regards to infections and reactions.  That said, I have no medical training, so I could be talking complete tosh. :wink:
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 03:14:34 am »
Well, here's an update for anyone who is wondering about this.  We finally tried this tonight because Asher was fussy and obviously uncomfortable.  Plus, we're visiting my in-laws this weekend to make things even more complicated!  Thank goodness they are very nice people.

Anyway...he was already crying pretty hard by the time I even put the thing in there.  That made him even madder and I had to hold him and walk around for about 5 minutes before he calmed down.  He WAS able to poo, however, several minutes after we did it.  And of course the thing came right back out with the poo.  I had this irrational worry that it would get stuck I guess.  There wasn't nearly as MUCH poo as I had expected but he seemed happier after it was over.

I think it's that darn rice cereal.  I need to figure out now how to start him back on solids and which foods to use that will not do this to him again.

Offline mattandcindy

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 05:03:46 am »
Hi!
Thanks for the update. Well, at least he pooped!
Btw, our LO's have the same birthday!
Abigail also gets constipated from the rice cereal. I have tried oatmeal the last two days but so far, no improvement. I will try barley next if oatmeal doesn't do the trick.
Cindy

Offline Leann

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 04:07:09 am »
Happy 5 months old Abigail!  :)

Yes...he did go, although he has hardly gone since then and I'm wondering if he still isn't a little stopped up.  We are going home from the in-laws tomorrow and when we are at home I may try some juice or feed him some pears or something.  Let me know if the oatmeal works any better than the rice.  Anyone have any more experience with the different cereals?  Does mixing them with veggies help at all?

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 09:58:22 am »
My mom told me about this method. We haven't had to use it yet though.

As for the rice cereal making them constipated, I've read that you don't actually need to start them on rice cereals, you can go straight to veggies. We started Luka on thursday, but as soon as he is used to the idea of eating, I"m going to give the cereal a skip.
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

Offline Carolina

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Your lo constipated? Try this!!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 11:07:54 am »
I will give you one more advise, which actually worked very well in my case. When my baby was about 3 mths old we had to introduce the formula milk, that is when he was very constipated (3 days couldnt poo). The pediatrician said to give him ...just water to drink!!! Or make a weaker formula milk. After that...no more trouble, has worked very well  :D  So try this as well