Author Topic: Freezing food  (Read 738 times)

Offline mtmom30

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 04, 2006, 21:50:42 pm »
Okay, I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but I'm just getting started with feeding my daughter solids and I feel VERY clueless most of the time :-[ .  I am hoping to make and freeze my own baby food for her, but I am wondering if lots of (or any?) nutrients are lost by freezing foods?  i.e., should I try to make/give my daughter freshly pureed food as much as possible and resort to frozen whenever I run out of time?  If it doesn't make a difference, I'd most likely give her frozen food because it would be so much easier than preparing fresh food every day.  But if frozen is no healthier than store-bought, should I even bother?

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Freezing food
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 23:01:15 pm »
They say that frozen is just as good, just make sure you buy really good quality ingredients and freeze straight after cooking.

I have found that ice-cube trays in freezer bags works well, once the food is frozen I then transfer to small ziplock bags which I can label and date.

I have a pile of food which I have stockpiled in my deepfreeze in preparation for my return to work in less than 2 weeks  :'( so as to make my life a little easier at dinnertime!
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Freezing food
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:54:11 am »
good luck with the baby food making!  i started making dd's food about 2 months ago and she LOVES it! it is healthier with NO preservatives, u know EXACTLY what's in it and there is soooo much more variety.  i suggest if u don't already have one to get a baby cookbook - i have annabel karmels and it is great!  so many different recipes - hopefully with all the variety i won't have a picky eater as she gets older - i always make sure to make her things i would not normally think of myself b/c i don't like it and that's where the cookbook REALLY comes in handy!  i also use ice cube trays and freezer bags - good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005