Author Topic: 10 weeks in and losing steam...  (Read 784 times)

Offline edowns88

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:46:56 am »
My10.5 week old is for the most part a great baby. Unfortunately I can't get him to drop the 2/3 am feed despite a dream feed given between 10 to 11 pm. He is a big boy around 14 lbs and is formula fed 4 to 6 o every 3 hours during the day. I can't increase any day feedings because he spits up and 6 oz is pushing it.

He is getting adequate day time sleep and I am at my wits end since I have an 18 month old too. He is up for about 1 to 2 hours during the night waking. Normally that would be fine, but we are all sleeping in my parents one bedroom basement. He seems to want to go to bed at 7 which I have been doing. I've tried offering a pacifier and reducing the middle of night feed. I am out of ideas! Super frustrated since I have been incredibly consistent since day 1 with him.

Please give me input. I know things could be worse..I'm just exhausted after a major move and getting 5 to 6 hours of broken up sleep. My friend who has a baby the same age and does no schedule has been sleeping through the night for a month! I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 10 weeks in and losing steam...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 13:47:14 pm »
You aren't doing anything wrong honey, it's normal for a baby to need a night feed as well as a dream feed at this age :-*. It's so hard not to compare, but every baby is different and if he is napping well and only needing that one feed besides the dream feed, that's actually brilliant.  Are you offering a full bottle as soon as he wakes?  Honestly, that's what I'd be doing at this age, he's still so tiny.  You say he's awake for 1-2 hours, is that if you try not to feed or does that happen even if you feed straight away?  What does his daytime look like at the moment, is he getting enough awake time?

Offline edowns88

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:01:13 am »
Ah, well I realized his daytime is messier than I thought. Lots of fussing and only one good nap lasting 1.5 hours. I'm just so much busier with the two kids I haven't even focused in exact times. Yesterday probably wasn't the best day to keep exact track since I had to drag him out grocery shopping. He was all over the place with his fussing and I know it's because he didn't have a great nap environment. Trying to get more specific EASY times and will post when I have them.

I am trying to push him on that night feed since it worked with my first son. One night we forgot to dream feed and basically got the same stretch of sleep from him. But I have done both going from pushing him to feeding right away. Unfortunately he is restless for the remainder of the night until he is fed again in the morning. He takes a full feed at te night feed, so I don't think he is hungry. I wish there was a way to get him more ounces during the day without him spitting up.

Thanks for the help!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:30:34 am »
Try to remember all babies are different, and just because your first did long stretches without a feed early on doesn't mean the second will be the same ;). Good luck xx

Offline edowns88

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:04 am »
I know. I'm just absolutely miserable.:( he has been up off and on since 2 am after his middle of the night feed until 6 am. So in addition to getting crap daytime sleep, his nights suck too. He also has chronic constipation issues that I can't get under control.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:24:20 am »
Oh (((hugs))) honey, these LOs are tough :(. Have you seen your doctor about his constipation?  That could definitely be making his sleep more unsettled, there's a lot of digestion goes on during those early hours of the morning.  There are lots of natural remedies that can help, as well as some prescription medications.  Not sure if you have tried any of those yet?

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »
I'm no help but just wanted to let you know my lo is almost 13 weeks and still wakes sometimes at the 3-4 hour.  I know how you feel.  I also have tried everything and its just now starting to get a little better.  I don't want to speak too soon for I know it'll probably return.  I know its hard bc you just want them to sleep:). It'll get better soon is what I keep telling myself.  If you find something that works let me know.  And btw maybe try a little cultrelle probotic in the bottle to see if it helps with the constipation.  That could be your issue. Good luck
Tina

Offline edowns88

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 16:22:54 pm »
Probiotics came today and I know I need to be better about putting prune juice in his bottle...I've been so tired, I keep forgetting. I'm letting him sleep today..and following a loose EASY schedule. He had a monster hard poo and I feel terrible. No wonder he didn't sleep. I'm hoping once I get the constipation resolved, his night time will improve. Contemplating changing formula, but have already dabbled into that game with no luck.

13 weeks...I can only hope things improve! My son seems pretty fixed on his night time feed.

Offline tfuentes00

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 17:10:40 pm »
Maybe the probotic will help without the use of prune.  It really has helped my older ds and I live by it now.  She was real fixed also.  I was beginning to think it was a habitual waking and of course it got worse before better  :-\  sorry I know you don't want to hear that but just fyi.   She is getting better slowly just keep at what your doing,  I also used less milk at the ne and then started ap with rocking and paci to get her back to sleep bc she went a whole week of about 830-530 so I didn't feel she was hungry that's kind of where we are at right now.
Tina

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:11 am »
Just checking in to see how you're doing?