Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 122470 times)

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2005, 01:59:02 am »
Oh Adria...  I hear you in so many ways.  I truly think as someone just said, that we are all at that stage.... but I think each in different ways.

You have my thoughts.. Big hugs.

I will share what I do with Owen and seems to work most times for us.  I let him fuss.... not cry, but fuss.  If it becomes crying I go straight in, but sometimes he fusses for 15 minutes or more.  I figure, as long as he's not crying, then he's not in any pain and maybe he's just grumbling about a bad day or something.  (I alwasy try to give him an old man's voice like I read in BW... it makes it easier for me.)  Also, you let him sleep in his swing.. we used to do that too, but now Owen sleeps only in his crib.  We leave a little music on to block out the outside noise.  Maybe your lo has out grown the swing and is ready to sleep laying while being still. 

One other thing I noticed is that you hold him for20 minutes wtih the paci.  My wind down with Owen is not nearly that long, but I'm not sure waht the "norm" is.  When he begins to look tired, I take him to his room, pull down the blinds, turn on his sheep that makes white noise, I swaddle him, sing a lullaby and then  say have a nice sleep.  I doubt it takes longer than 10 minutes max.  But my lo is an Angel baby, so I haven't struggled too much with naps.  Hope some of this may help you. 

Lastly, I would like to say that I would love 4 hours of continuous sleep!  I cannot believe that I once thought I knew what it was to be sleep deprived....  On occassion it has been 4 even close to 5 hours.  But not often enough.  I can't wait.     
  But then again, me and DP are already talking about starting on #2.  I figure I want to keep it close together and never be this sleep deprived ever again.... LOL

Keep Smiling!  (i know i try)
 :D
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline daisymelan

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2005, 02:04:27 am »
Sorry, one more thing.

Are there any moms out there still BFing?  We tried to give ds a bottle of formula and he turned his nose up... he'll drink breast milk, but not formula.

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2005, 02:13:22 am »
Hi Daisymelan, we're still bfing here. Not sure that I have any advice for you though. Luckily Avery will take formula without too much fuss. Are you trying to wean or just supplementing? If you don't mind pumping I'd just keep doing that but if you're trying to wean you'll probably just have to keep at it.  :roll:  There are some great mod's on the bfing board that could probably give you some helpful advice if you wanted to post there as well.  :wink:

Good luck. Sorry I'm no help. :)
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2005, 02:23:58 am »
Adria, I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your little man.  I can't really offer you any advice, because I dont' really follow any one method, I just do what it takes to get Cait to sleep.  What works for my family wont' necessarily work for your family.  I just wanted you to know that we are all here for you and I am always here for you to vent to....I don't have much in the way of advice (unless you are ready to go rebel, and then I could give you an earful!! :shock:  :wink: ) but I am always available to give you a shoulder to lean on....or sleep on if need be.  Hang in there....they eventually get it.

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #469 on: November 16, 2005, 03:34:34 am »
GUESS WHAT WE GOT TODAY :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

A CRIB  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  and a changing table and dresser  :D  :D

DH finally gave in and we got a cheap crib set from Wal-Mart, nothing fancy but it will certainly work better then nothing till he gets something made.

He put the crib together and Caeden promptly got in and rolled over and hit his head on the side  :(  :(  :(  :(  SO - now that I didn't think to buy bumpers and pad at Wal-Mart, DH headed back out to get something.

Anyway - just had to share - now if we can have another good sleeping night I will feel wonderful!

BTW - Daiseymelan  - we are still breastfeeding only too - Caeden has never had a bottle yet though we have tried a sippy cup. Any reason you are wanting to switch to formula at this point? Just curious..... he must think that milk of yours is pretty good!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #470 on: November 16, 2005, 04:32:46 am »
Adria,
    I agree with Sara about being consistent. You have posted on here in the past about the four hour routine, the dreamfeed... and for suggestions on naps and settling down for sleep. I have wanted to give you some advice, atleast share with you what works for me, but you don't seem to answer my posts.  If you are willing to try the baby whisperer methods, I would be happy to help, it has worked wonders for me. Whatever methods you use, just be consistent and ride them out. I have spent many days in the trenches, but it has seemed to pay off.

Here is an old post that I put on here awhile back when you had some questions about eating throught the night and a routine. I never heard anything from you after you asked for help. I would be so happy give you some advice and help if I can and if you want it. There will be moments when we are so frustrated we don't know what to do... but what a blessing it is to have these precious gifts in our lives... even with the sleepless nights  :)

Old post:
Adria,

I am so sorry you are frustrated. Tracy's methods are not going to work perfect for every baby and every situation but I don't think this is the place to talk down about her, after all she cannot defend herself. Tracy did a wonderful thing in her life and helped millions of babies and tired parents figure it out. It has worked wonders for our family, I am so glad that I found her book. As a first time mom, I found all the information on parenting overwhelming but her approach makes sense and creates a predictable day. Not all of her methods are going to work and there are certaintly bumps along the way, but the best thing we can do is give them a try and be consistent with what we are doing.

You posted a while back about transitioning Jency to the 4-hour EASY and working on naps. I believe that if you get him on a good routine the naps will begin to work themselves out and in turn help with the nightime sleep. Do you do a dreamfeed? By doing one, you control when he eats and he is not waking in the middle of the night hungry. It didn't work for us in the beginning but we stuck with it and now it's working great. You mentioned he does not go down well. What does your bedtime routine look like?

Hang in there, it will pass. Check out the sleep board, there is wonderful information on there. If Tracy's methods are not working for you that is okay, try something else. Whatever you do, be consistent with it for atleast a week, it takes awhile for our little one's to figure it out!

Big hugs
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline daisymelan

June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #471 on: November 16, 2005, 14:35:24 pm »
Jennifer:  Congrats on the crib.  I'm sure that has lessened your stress. 

Now in regards to feeding ds formula.....  I just want a night out!  Pretty sad I know, but I want to go out to see a band and drink until 2am.  Now, I used to pump, but was so discouraged, I quit.  The problem is, I don't think I have a large milk supply.  I mean, there have been occassions when I haven't nursed (lo was giving bottle of breast milk) and I could easily pump out 8 oz.  But if I try to pump after nursing, I only get about 2 oz.  It's pretty sad.  (I've tried everything... baths, looking at ds, looking at pics of ds, imagery)  Also, I find pumping so time consuming.  I have tried both manual and electric, but I don't think I have good name brands but I don't really have the money to justify buying another new pump. 

I know that morning is best, but what am I supposed to do with ds while I'm pumping?  I don't have any family around to stop in for a half hour so I can drain my boob.  LOL 

Any ideas would be great.

Hope it's sunny where you are, cuz it certainly isn't here.

Jodie

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #472 on: November 16, 2005, 14:44:24 pm »
Quote from: daisymelan
Now in regards to feeding ds formula.....  I just want a night out!  Pretty sad I know, but I want to go out to see a band and drink until 2am.  Now, I used to pump, but was so discouraged, I quit.  The problem is, I don't think I have a large milk supply.  I mean, there have been occassions when I haven't nursed (lo was giving bottle of breast milk) and I could easily pump out 8 oz.  But if I try to pump after nursing, I only get about 2 oz.  It's pretty sad.  Also, I find pumping so time consuming.  I have tried both manual and electric, but I don't think I have good name brands but I don't really have the money to justify buying another new pump. 

:lol: I could have wrote this myself. Except, I'm already going out. :wink: I too hate pumping and decided that dh would just supplement those days that I "needed" time off. I wish I had some advice for you on the formula situation though.  :?  Maybe try a different kind???????? I'm not real educated on formula's but I bet someone on the bottle feeding board would know something.

PS: go out, have fun, and drink until 2am. Sounds wonderful (until the next day that is  :roll: )  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

PSS: it's snowing here  :x
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2005, 17:01:02 pm »
We give Luke Enfamil Gentlease.  It's for babies with a lot of gas and fussiness.  We used to give him Nutramigen (AKA Liquid Gold) but were able to transition to the Gentlease with no problem.  It's the same price as regular formula!  I don't think there's a bad formula out there.  Just make sure you get one with Iron.  Enfamil Lipil with Iron, Similac Advance with Iron....even the store brands are good.  My pedi confirmed that it's all the same stuff, just not the brand name, so it's good.  Our grocery store has HEB with Lipids and Iron and it's the same stuff as Enfamil Lipil with Iron....

Can I ramble on some more?
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2005, 23:06:57 pm »
You know what really sends me into orbit?  When EVERYBODY has to have their own freakin opinion, whether you asked for it or not!!!!!  It is 55 degrees here (we're not exactly in the Arctic Tundra) and I took Luke to a bridal shower this afternoon.  I walked from the car to the house, and from the house to the car.  The kid has on a footed long sleeve outfit and I got blasted for not having him in a hat and a coat with a blanket.  GIVE ME A FREAKIN' BREAK!!!!!!

sorry  :x
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2005, 23:49:33 pm »
Quote from: amystoker
It is 55 degrees here (we're not exactly in the Arctic Tundra) and I took Luke to a bridal shower this afternoon.  I walked from the car to the house, and from the house to the car.  The kid has on a footed long sleeve outfit and I got blasted for not having him in a hat and a coat with a blanket. 

That cracks me up - it's been below freezing here all week and I was feeling bad cause I have Caeden in a heavy jacket with hat but no mittens and his hands were so cold last night - I felt awful!
55 here would be like summer! It's suppose to be 40 or below all week - and gets downright cold at night! BTW - whoever said it was snowing.....we got it Sun night and it is still on the ground in some places, mostly melted off the streets though!

And daisymelan - I hear you on wanting a night out - I would settle for just a few hours! DH isn't ready to leave Caeden though..... any ideas on convincing him he would be fine with my mom while we went out to dinner?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #476 on: November 17, 2005, 15:08:21 pm »
Iwould love to go out for more then 2 hours!
Jency won't take a bottle!!
I am scepticle about formula because the #1 inged. is corn syrup! :?
He doesn't sleep as it is!
He's got a cold that my sister gave him.
 :(
It was 9 degrees last night.  Jency loves to be out side in the cold.  usually i just have him in his winter cloths with a blanket around.  His little nose, hands, and ears get so cold but he doesn't care!
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #477 on: November 17, 2005, 18:14:05 pm »
Ummmm.....Adria.......what kind of formula ingredients have you been reading?  I personally went to Cait's can and NO where does it say corn syrup.  I would think that would be a HUGE FDA no-no.  Just curious what brand you are looking at.

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #478 on: November 17, 2005, 19:06:38 pm »
I have to agree with BJ on that one.

Adria, have you tried pumping and giving a bottle?  If Jency's hungry enough, that bottle will be gobbled :-)

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #479 on: November 17, 2005, 19:30:12 pm »
The other thing I have heard is when offering the bottle - either breastmilk or formula - have someone besides you give it to him - your husband or whoever may watch him. He may not take from you well cause he knows he typically gets milk in other ways from you!

Just a hint I have heard that may help!

Also - if you will be back close to a feed and don't want to give anything else, I have heard giving a small amount of water is fine and often helps "stave off" the hunger for a while - giving you another 30-45 minutes. Honestly - if I leave Caeden with my mom or husband I will plan to be back to feed and if he is getting hungry and wants something I will let them give him some water. He has taken from me before from a sippy cup and gets like maybe an ounce, if that - but it entertains him and does seem to help him go a little longer to the feed!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)