Author Topic: Nap dodging again.  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Nap dodging again.
« on: November 14, 2011, 19:03:59 pm »
We had this issue about a month or two back.  My 18 month old DS would become resistant to naps.  Then it must have been illness related because it passed (helped by a couple of doses of Calpol). 

Well now it's back again and the thing is, he doesn't seem ill.  He does seem tired though so I don't know if I've got into some kind of OT cycle?  I'll give you a 'typical' day (he's still in a cotbed btw with the sides up):

Wake anything between 5:30 (normally) and 6 (5:30 onwards is when we allow him to leave his room if he does wake earlier.  Months of trying has not got him any later.)  He's fairly consistent on this but this morning he woke at 5:20.
Milk - 6/6:30ish (when he starts whinging for it)
Breakfast 6:45ish
Lunch 11:30
Nap (refusing as of the past 3 days) noon
Snack 2:30 / 3ish
Tea 4:45ish
Bath 6:30
Reading with stories and milk 6:45
Bed 7, normally asleep by 7:15 / 7:20, normally will chatter to himself for a bit.

He used to be a nightmare to put down for naps when he was younger.  Today I took him out for a walk in the end.

Our nap routine is like this.  He eats lunch, then has some stories on our bed with me (like the bedtime routine), then we have a cuddle and I put him in his cotbed.  It used to be that he'd then go to sleep, sometimes I'd have to lie him back down again once or twice.  Now, I put him down today, he sounded like he was calming down and then he was crying out "Sock, sock, oops!" which means he's taken off his socks and thrown them across the room.  So I did what I have always done before (he's fond of doing this), pick them up, no eye contact, lie him back down again, walk out.  Problem is, he then gets really upset and starts crying on his back (so I can't lie him down again like the PUPD for his age group would suggest).  I try picking him up, he calms down immediately but if I put him down, it gets way worse.

So, seeing as he sleeps on a mat at nursery, I tried lying down with him on the floor on a thick furry blanket.  He was really happy but just wanted to crawl off and play  :-\

So I end up taking him on a three mile walk where he falls asleep in less than 2 mins but I was determined he would have a decent nap.  So he has an hour. 

He is eating loads at the moment and has had huge developmental leaps in the past few days, today for example, he has learned the words for milk, cheese, poo (he's told me he's pooed the two times he's done it today) and has learned how to do simple 2 or 3 piece jigsaws!  So it could be a growth spurt.

It's just he always looks tired.  People always comment on it.  He always has dark circles but there is no convincing him; at least at home.  At nursery he regularly has 90 min naps.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
Re: Nap dodging again.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:23:34 am »
Bump?

Well he woke at 6:10 this morning (the latest for some months) and he's in nursery today where he always sleeps fine.  He's back at home on Wednesday though so I'd welcome any ideas!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:06:25 am »
hi there

First thing I would say is keep consistent with where he's napping if you can, if he knows you'll try the floor or th buggy he's less likely to settle in the cot, yk? (I know it's really hard when you just want him to have some sleep!!)

Have you tried putting him down any earlier? I am wondering if he is OT as his nights are quite short...

What time do they put him down at nursery?

Yay for the 6.10 WU ;D
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:34 am »
They put him down around 12:30 at nursery but sometimes earlier if he seems tired.  I don't have a choice on him napping on the floor at nursery but I'd rather nap in his cot at home. What am I meant to do if he doesn't though? Sometimes he gets so upset he's literally flinging himself around in the cot! What am I meant to do if he really won't go off?

Tbh napping in the buggy bs the cot has always been a transition he's been able to make.  His night time sleep is normal for him.  He's having more sleep in total now than he was 6 months ago but nothing extends his night sleep.

Offline Roseii

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 14:43:15 pm »
that's good about the total sleep! We generally say try to settle for 45 mins, then give up, try again in a bit if there's time, if not I would do the buggy/car nap so you know he's had *some* sleep..xx

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 19:37:05 pm »
Ok.  Plan for tomorrow; I'm going to try some "just in case" calpol (he's had recurrent colds for the last 3 weeks so it could be that) and try putting him down at 12:30pm.  If he's not asleep by 1:15pm, we go for a walk.

Interestingly, I'd always been told by nursery "he goes straight to sleep" but today they admitted they stay with him and rub his back or nudge his back back and forth (ie rocking him) if he won't go to sleep.  Interesting.  I don't want to get into the rocking at home but what does everyone else do?

Also presumably there does come a point (hopefully not yet) where he goes from 1 to 0 naps.  He did drop his second nap early so I suspect that will be early too.  How on earth does everyone manage that????

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:59:49 pm »
Hi All.

Well I still put him down at midday, he had been yawning and saying "lie down" in late morning (I let him lie down in the lounge just in case he was going to sort himself out but he just lay down then got back up again.)

Today I gave him some baby nurofen at 10:10 so that would have been fully kicked in by midday and also I put him in a lightweight summer grobag so he couldn't mess about with his socks and just in case he was cold.

Wow we had a battle.  He was crying lying down (what are you meant to do with that?  I was shusshing from behind a door).  He ended up getting really upset.  Lots of getting up, crying.  He started to calm down a bit after 20 mins and when I lay him down again he'd quieten down but would start howling again as soon as I stopped touching him.  In the end I did a bit of APing and lay him down but then took a while to take my face and hands away.

He does have an awful cough at the moment.  I can just hear him coughing on the monitor so the nap might last all of 30 mins (whoop, whoop!)  Ah well, better get him.  He's crying now.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 13:48:20 pm »
Well he was stood up, really upset.  No way I was going to try lying him down again after earlier.  Picked him up, he fell asleep on me.  He's currently asleep on the floor in my lounge.  Urgh.

Offline Roseii

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 22:21:40 pm »
Hi sweetie, sorry it's been so rough, how's the cough now? And the sleep?
xxx

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 03:12:56 am »
He's properly unwell and on antibiotics :(

Offline Roseii

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 04:11:53 am »
Oh no :( If it makes you feel any better I'm online at 4am too :P
Give yourself a break whilst he's recovering ((hugs)) xxxx

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 08:19:01 am »
Yeah, he was up from 2am on and off with a temperature so we've been administering the baby nurofen.  It's bizarre it's like a switch; baby nurofen wears off; very grumpy child with a temperature.  

He came into bed with us at 5:45 which is normal morning time for him and then fell asleep on my shoulder for an hour.  I was having dreams about being pinned down by a bear!  I don't think we were made to co-sleep!

Offline Roseii

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 08:56:52 am »
LOL!! I always have weird dreams when DD2 sleeps on me (which is a recent development ::)) Are you alternating with calpol? xx

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 14:50:17 pm »
Yep, he's also on Amoxycillin and we're alternating the ibuprofen and paracetamol.  Temperature has gone down but he's still pretty grumpy and off his food.

Offline gormella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 20:34:21 pm »
Hi Lemonthyme

My 20 month DD is going through exactly what you went through with your DS in November.  Is his napping back to normal now after his illness? 

My DD acts tired at nap time (never had a problem with nap time before last week) but when you lay her down and leave the room, within 5 mins she's screaming and nothing calms her.  Like you, I pick her up and she has sometimes fallen asleep in my arms in the chair.  So I know she still needs a nap. Maybe she needs a later nap and is not tired enough to sleep? 

Just wondered if you figured out if it was illness, developmental or something else?

Thanks!

Philippa