Author Topic: 5 month old night wakings  (Read 7706 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2012, 15:17:12 pm »
this friend of mine swore by magic marlin's sleep suit!

since he is rolling, will he sleep on his tummy?

how long do you wait before you go into him at night?
heather

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
Re: 5 month old night wakings
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 20:49:15 pm »
Sorry thought I replied to erins message but its gone..

To make him more cosy, I think. DP struggled to settle him for nap earlier and tried the pillow - bingo! Worked immediately! He's always done well with swaddle and is same sort of thing.

Heather, I've not heard of that sleep suit, could use a little bit of magic!!
He's only rolled 3 times from front to back so not ready for tummy sleeping? Does tummy sleeping reduce jolting? I'm thinking yes?
He sleeps right next to me so I could well be rushing in, no easy option to change the arrangement....
Laura

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 21:43:08 pm »
Gotcha.  Some babies seem to love the coziness, I don't know what the solution is though!  Heather has a good point, can you just not move until he starts crying the "I need you" cry?  Hard when he's right there though!

Offline nona

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:24 am »
i'm reading "bringing up bebe"....the French are really into "le pause" ie waiting into they really need you if they can't soothe themselves LOL

i'm sure you sleeping so close is part of the problem. it's unavoidable! i had to move DD out bc she started rubbing her fingers up and down on the netting on the side of the pack n play....so loud and annoying! can you stick him in your closet or right outside your door?  there is no way you are getting any sleep at all!

yes, sleeping on the tummy does help bc they can't really jolt when they are on their tummy. obviously back is best but DD soon started sleeping on her tummy on her own once she was rolling & I ditched the swaddle.

here is the suit:
http://www.magicsleepsuit.com
heather

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 02:23:51 am »
"le pause"  LOL, I love it.  :)
Oh, and James does that scratching the pack and play thing when we travel, not so easy to sleep through!

Offline louis-mummy

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 20:02:54 pm »
i had to move DD out bc she started rubbing her fingers up and down on the netting on the side of the pack n play....so loud and annoying!

i can imagine! sounds as though she was quite happy doing it?! theres no way he will be playing or contendedly resting before going to sleep!! he's very 'needy'. i can't think when i've heard him stirring in his sleep and then going back off on his own, it might have happened once or twice  :P
yeah i need to try and sleep him elsewhere, need some thermal pj's first!

the magic suit looks ace, don't sell here  :( i am looking at a 'swaddle up'
Laura

Offline nona

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 20:30:56 pm »
yea, she is more independent than DS was (and is!)
heather

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 08:08:46 am »
This thread could be about my dd at the moment!  I have no words of inspiration, only that of solidarity!  I hope he settles for you!
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline louis-mummy

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 16:16:26 pm »
sorry to resurrect this thread but i am dying here  :'( major migraine today prob caused by lack of sleep

we had an ok night recently, think it was Sunday?, can't think what was diffferent. played white noise on continuous loop but no meds, dressed him in fleecy sleepsuit (has been cool during nights here), naps were normal

past couple of days his naps haven't been going too well. nights he's been taking a long time to settle down initially but then sleeping from 8-12ish quite solidly. after that hes awake every 1-1.5hrs. end up feeding him most times but he does not want to go to sleep afterwards. not happy wakey but crabby-bum. tried calpol last night but didn't seem to make any difference. had to get him in bed with us at 3am, DP gets up for work at 4.30 and has to drive for 40 mins (have told him to get some earplugs!)

today hes napped ok but is really cranky, keep feeding him as nothing else calms him, have given him some teething gel and calpol, he's acting tired rubbing his face but already had 4.5hrs total nap today.

I know we really need to try moving him to his own room, just to see

ok gotta pick him up now  :P
Laura

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 16:59:08 pm »
Bummer, I was hoping things were better.  Those post-midnight wakings really sounds like discomfort of some sort or a prop issue (which is where you started on this thread, wasn't it?)...though the crankiness during the day makes it seem more like discomfort.  Hmmm, let me keep thinking.

Offline louis-mummy

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 20:48:20 pm »
Thanks Erin  :)

I'm thinking he is a bit under the weather actually, combined with his normal bad sleeping = nights from hell!

I think he'll end up in our bed tonight tbo. DPs boss mentioned how much he was yawning today :-[

Will try for damage limitation until we've all.had a couple of ok sleep nights then try to get back on track

Thanks for 'listening'

Laura

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 21:50:26 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I haven't jumped in before! Just wanted to ask how many feeds he's having in the day now? Just at wakeup and after naps? Any extras in between? And still 3-4 at night?

I ask mainly because I agree with Erin that you've got discomfort at play and suspect either silent reflux (not sicky but still painful and milk tends to be soothing) - please have a read of these symptoms, I had never considered most of them as reflux symptoms... Reflux 101 - General reflux information or gas - DS wanted to feed all the time when he had gas, as it triggers that reflex that moves everything along through the bowel and tends to help relieve the gas but keeps the cycle of gas intake/creation and therefore pain going IYSWIM.

Hugs xx Its exhausting when LO won't sleep well at night.

Offline louis-mummy

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 20:24:22 pm »
Thanks bec  :)

Sorry for late reply I have been out of house all day (=rubbish naps ::))

I don't *think* he has silent reflux, he does have a few symptoms but no enough, i think. Is it worth medicating? He feeds a lot during the day...
he was trumping a lot in the early hours! I do try to burp him after feeds but not always successful.

Last night I felt he was hungry a lot but wouldn't necessarily settle after, he wasn't even crying an awful lot, just unsettled and tired.

Laura

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 21:37:32 pm »
I think even with a couple of symptoms, particularly if they're ones other than not sleeping and frequent feeding, it is worth at least talking to your doc about it.

DS fed a lot during the day - often to relieve gas pains as I discovered... I have an overactive letdown which was the issue for us. Reflux or oversupply/ overactive letdown? Forceful Let-Down Problems

Wondering about a food (maybe milk protein/soy) intolerance too...

Offline louis-mummy

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 22:10:59 pm »
Thanks for the links

At first glance I am thinking its over active letdown.....the 14 point list, I agree with 12 of the points. Will probably have read all by the end of the night and be sure!

Laura