Author Topic: When to re-settle and when to feed  (Read 983 times)

Offline Harrisons_mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
When to re-settle and when to feed
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:39 am »
Hi

I was just wondering if anybody could help with the dilemma of re-settling v nit feelings

Ds is bf and have introduced solids.  He has 5/6 feeds a day and 2 meals (breakfast  - fruit  and dinner - fruit and rice w breast milk)

E longest stretch he has done is 5hrs between feeds, but almost always wakes up every 3 hrs through the night.  I maybe get 2/3 5 hr stretches a month.

Recently he has been waking up every 2 hrs so I have been re-settling him and he then goes 4hrs before I feed him, but I'm always confused when he wakes up at 3 hrs.  I'm nervous to try settling him incase he is generally hungry :( but I worry that I'm creating a bad habit. double :(

It's so hard to stay on track in the middle of the night with 20 weeks of sleep deprivation, so a solid plan is the most likely way for me to try.

I think this maybe one of those every baby is different situations, but any advice is welcome :)

Thanks

Suzi

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: When to re-settle and when to feed
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:18 am »
The general rule is that LO should go as long at night as he can in the day, so if he's going 4hr between milk feeds during the day, then resettle before 4hr and feed after 4hr (but never feed if the 4hr mark is reached while resettling without LO having gone back to sleep, even if just for 5 mins or you're teaching him to scream til he gets what he wants). I found the best way was to have a clock in my room, make the decision between resettling and feeding before I went into DS' room.

Offline Harrisons_mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: When to re-settle and when to feed
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:26:35 am »
That's pretty much what I thought... Problem is I look at the time and confuse myself in my silly tired brain! Hehe...  I'm going to make a concious effort over the next few nights.  I didn't know the bit about making them fall asleep even for 5mins... Totally makes sense. :)

Thank you