Author Topic: was STTN, up every 2 hours last night - can't figure it out  (Read 2103 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
was STTN, up every 2 hours last night - can't figure it out
« on: October 15, 2012, 13:51:49 pm »
DD has been STTN for quite a while now. i put her down btwn 615/7 and she wakes around 6/7.  she gradually STTN on her own with out much effort from me. she does take a paci and i have several in her bed she can find and use.

last night she was up every 2 hours and was hysterically crying each time and wanted to nurse.  she went to bed fine after.

the first NW was around 9ish - i thought ok, she prob is hungry bc she did not nurse much after her last nap and then didn't nurse much before bed bc she was tired adn wanted to go to sleep. but then she kept waking up all night long!

so my first thought was teeth. i can't feel anythign or see that her gums are swollen (no teeth yet). she also took a full feed each time she woke up.

she did nap a lot yesterday which does a lot but i wonder if she got too much day time sleep?

She woke at 6 am this morning. DH heard her laughing and talking for awhile until she was crying wanting to get up (she may have been up earlier).

this may more of an easy issue i'm not sure. her EASY schedule has been the same for a while and she is about to be 8 months old.

for instance, she can barely last 2 hours after waking in the morning before her nap. however, this means she is taking her first nap at 8am! She also will not take a cat nap in the evening which is why i sometimes put her to bed really early (615-645)

so this morning i stretched her to 2.5 hours and she seemed to be fine....

i just don't get why one random night she wakes up every 2 hours.

FWIW, i am only feeding her solids during hte morning but i am going to add another meal during the day this week.

sorry for ramble. i just am really confused (and exhausted this morning)
heather

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
Re: was STTN, up every 2 hours last night - can't figure it out
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 17:11:39 pm »
(((Hugs))), Heather.  My first thought when I read your post was teeth because this same exact thing happened to Sam when he was 7 months old.  I found with Sam that the tooth cutting through wasn't the worst for him, but when they were actually moving below the surface which didn't translate (for him) into red, swollen gums.  Could she be nursing for comfort? I could be totally off base here, but just remember this happening to us and it went on and off until he cut his first tooth (and then when the next tooth would move etc etc). 

If it's not and she's just hungry, adding another meal will probably help!

By no means an expert on anything sleep related, really just here more to offer (((hugs))) and support.  Hope you can get a little rest today or at least an earlier BT for yourself! 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline nona

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 19:19:57 pm »
thanks it was CRAZY!!! i haven't done much digging around in her mouth today but just lookign don't see anything. my DS was never really bothered by teeth....

so one thing that has come up is that she has a runny nose  - so she prob has a cold. i will put on the humidifier tonight.

also, she started pulling herself up on the crib (not completely to standing but close). one time i went down and she was holding onto the rail..so i wonder if she can't let go. i'm going ot lower the crib tonight so it is a non-issue.

praying tonight is better and this is a just one of those weird nights...(not to mention DS was also up twice - geez!)
heather

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 20:29:10 pm »
I think teething. Did you give meds?K teethed no problem but B is awful. If he gets up unexpectedly and either won't settle or is up again soon I have leaned after 2 or 3nights a tooth will cut so now I medicate at the 1st sign lest he be in pain fx for a better night tonight.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 22:28:18 pm »
Could be a cold too if she has a runny nose -- with dd1, I always found the night before the runny nose to be the worst -- I always wondered if she had a sore throat or something that night and that made her so uncomfortable.  Hope tonight is better!

Offline nona

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 14:38:23 pm »
thx ladies! i know i have it pretty good but always nice to just "talk" to friends and get ideas. i was baffled! goodness, can't imagine having a sickly child it would be so hard....DS was NEVER sick as a baby.

last night was much better.

she def had a runny nose yesterday and also spitting up mucousy stuff now & then. so i think part of the problem was that she couldn't breathe when using a pacifier.   she also started pulling herself up on the crib rail (not all the way but close). dumb me taught her to do that the other day.....

we lowered the mattress and added a humidifier + some vicks stuff and she slept much better.

her cold doesn't seem that bad  - just some boogers and occasional cough / sneeze now.

late afternoon/early evening she was a complete bear and only wanted me. i did give her tylenol just in case she was achey - or a tooth. teething is so confusing - have no idea if that is the problem or not - she did not have a fever either.  i didn't get my first tooth until i was 12 months old (DS got his at 6 months) so she may be toothless for awhile....
heather

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 21:10:44 pm »
Glad you had a better night!

I just wish they could tell us what is wrong!! Yk, a runny nose/cold can also be a sign of teething!

Laura

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:02:12 am »
Glad you had a better night.  :)

Offline nona

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 18:28:18 pm »
Yk, a runny nose/cold can also be a sign of teething!

i have heard that but still no tooth.  maybe hers are taking forever!  she is a little congested. she has been spitting up more and i think it is drainage from snot.....

with DS i just decided to feel his gums one day at 6 months and there was tooth!
heather