Author Topic: Reassurance - 7 MO increasing A time = nap chaos????  (Read 830 times)

Offline SMacMill

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Reassurance - 7 MO increasing A time = nap chaos????
« on: February 11, 2012, 15:47:20 pm »
Hi There,
We have been doing EASY since my son was 12 weeks and just diagnosed with Reflux. He would only have 30 min naps and the help i received on this forum saved my sanity so thanks so much!
LO will be 7 months next week and we have been in a lovely EASY schedule but i realised it had been a while since i  increased A times and we were still on 2hrs with  1/1.5 hr naps sometimes 2hrs!. I have started increasing 5 minutes each day and now we are on 2.15hr A times and his naps are now only 30-40 mins. I'm looking for tired signs all the time and I don't think he is OT. He seems to spend 5-10 mins getting off to sleep with a bit of a grizzle which is normal for him. He is now waking really unhappy and crying which is not normal for him. Nothing else has changed other than my husband is now away for work for 6 weeks.

EASY from today so far:

6am WU
E: 6am (BF and cuddle in bed)
A: 7am Breakfast & Play
S: 820am  (40 mins)

E: 9am BF
A: 9am
S: 1120am (40mins)

E: 12pm BF
A: 12.15pm Lunch and Outing
S: 2.20pm (40mins)

E: 3pm BF
A: 3.10pm Play

Previous EASY

WU 6am
E: 6am BF in bed with me
A: 630am Breakfast and Play
S: 8am (1.15hrs)

E:9.30am BF
A: 9.10am
S: 11.30/1145am (1hr-1.5hrs)

E: 1pm BF
A: 1.15pm Lunch and Play
S: 3-3.15pm (1hr - 1.5hrs)

E: 4.45pm BF
A: 5pm Dinner and bath/ bed routien
S: 730pm (BF prior to bed)

Normally waking 1-2 times a night at the moment.

Thanks for your advice in advance

Shelley

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Reassurance - 7 MO increasing A time = nap chaos????
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 19:38:39 pm »
Hi Shelley

He's clearly not happy about these 40 min naps.
Having Daddy go away for work could be upsetting his routine, too young to understand why Daddy isn't there, old enough to know Daddy suddenly isn't about.  Did the short naps coincide with DH going away do you think?

Any other things that could be disturbing him at the transition do you think? Teething pain (any white caps showing?  Is he batting at his ears, drooling?), reflux pain (have you had the meds dosage checked recently?  Does he seem refluxy or in pain?), have you introduced solids recently or increased the variety of foods?  Any gas/constipation?  Anyone in regular contact have a cold that he might have caught?

Sorry to ask so many questions, it seems to me you have a good sleeper there but something is clearly bothering him enough for him to come fully awake at the transition into the next cycle and I don't think that a slight A increase would be disruptive enough, you've gone very slowly with it so I doubt he could be disturbed by this.

Have you tried to help him through the transition?  Maybe go in at 35 min and prepare to shush/pat (or whatever your adapted version might be to help sooth) him into the next cycle as soon as you see he is struggling to do it alone.

xx