Author Topic: 27 months and keeps coming to parents' room  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Lica

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
27 months and keeps coming to parents' room
« on: April 10, 2006, 15:31:58 pm »
With a few months effort, we finally make our lo to sleep in his own room.
He has been sleeping through most of the nights until recently.
He would wake up in the middle of the night and make a lot of trips to our room.(usually one at 2-3am, and a lot more at wee hours)
DH will take him back to his room, say night night and retreat
but at around 6am, my lo will come again, and if DH does the same thing this time, he won't stay in his room, but keep coming to our room until DH decides to stay with him in his room.(usually it's almost 7am)

His day begins at 7-730am(830pm-730am), 1-1.5 hours nap and we stay the same schedule after the time changed. I know he is not getting enough sleep form making so many trips to our room.
But I am really at my wit's ends.
Any advice?

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: 27 months and keeps coming to parents' room
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 16:08:50 pm »
I think you have to just keep doing what you are doing and taking him back to his room with a minimum of fuss and conversation.  I guess the other option is a baby gate at his door so he can't leave but this will likely cause him to stand at the gate crying until someone comes to him and you put him back in his bed.  Hopefully he will understand after a while that he is not going to get to sleep with you or your husband and he'll stop.  Is he old enough to understand the reward system--ie,  he gets a sticker or something for every night he stays in his bed and then a toy or something if he does that for a whole week.  The other alternative depending on where he is developmentally is explaining to him that all of you need your sleep and that he needs to stay in bed at night.  Hope some of that helps.  Good luck! 

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 17:35:23 pm »
How long does it take for him to go back to sleep after each episode? when you redirect him do you talk at all? Cause he might be seeing this as a game. Each time he goes to you, you have to be REALLy boring, like it's bed time, nighty night and that's all, no eye contact and no talking. Also, you said that he's finally sleeping in his room, so that means he co-slept for a 2+yr period with you? it might take a while to convince him that he's not supposed to go to mommy's room. Just keep consistant at redirect him, he'll eventually get it.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 18:51:55 pm »
I would keep doing what you are doing.  Take him back to his own bed and leave - no matter how many times it takes.  I think he will learn eventually.
I've also heard of very kid friendly alarm clocks that make a wonderful cue for your child that now he is able to leave his room and come to see mom and dad.  You could set it for 7am every morning and tell him when he hears this sound and sees the big 7,  in the morning he can come to see you.  Also you could reassure him that if it's still dark out then it's not time yet so he's not just waiting for the clock.  I've heard this really works well.

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 20:21:01 pm »
I agree, continue with what you are doing.  Take him back to his room, back into his bed and leave, with little or no conversation - its still night time or it isn't time to get up yet.

The other thing that you could possibly try is putting up a babygate across the doorway so that he can't leave his room - see if he got up and couldn't leave - would he just settle himself back down in his bed again?

Good luck xx
Rach xx