Author Topic: Suddenly stopped feeding well.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: October 02, 2006, 07:53:01 am »
Ds is now 15 weeks old.  Was on 3 hour easy taking 5/6oz every 3hrs plus df and 1nw. equating too around 34oz on average day.  Big boy weighs 15 1/2lbs. Around 3 weeks ago he suddenly started to take smaller feeds 2/3/4oz at each feed.  We now feed him every 4hrs as he wasn't taking any full feeds. Now he will take a full feed but only when especially hungry

Yesterdays example

6am 6oz
10am 3oz
2pm 5oz (but this took nearly and hour to acheive)
6pm 3oz
df 5oz

Without the df this is only 17oz.

He has reflux and a while ago we suspected allergy though changed to hypoallergenic formula but only for 3 days and didn't see a real difference though now i understand it takes a while too improve so we have changed back onto it from last night as he had a particularly fussy day.

Why do you think he no longer wants his milk?

Thanks
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 09:23:03 am »
I can't remember where the post is now, but I read one a few weeks ago about possible reasons for being disinterested in feeds or ways to increase ounces - as we were going through a similar thing.

The two in particular that applied to us were teat / flow size - as soon as we went up to a stage 3 teat, our son was sooo much happier as he got the milk much faster. DS was a big baby at birth too and he is quite the guzzler! I was worried about his intake for ages before I realised he was getting bored of the effort involved of breast feeding and then of the low teat flow when I switched to bottle feeds. 

The temperature of the formula was also a consideration for us. DS likes his milk warm to the end so I make the feed ever so slightly hotter that I used to (safe temperature of course) and also put it in a thermal sleeve so that it keeps warm.

Once we got these 2 things right he upped his ounces on a consistent basis which has helped us to drop the night feed.

Other possible problems suggested in the previous post included teething which can make feeding uncomfortable for them.

Like most things with babies, it is probably just a phase, but it may be worth experimenting with the teat size and temperature if you've ruled out other possible reasons.

Good luck.

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:06:25 pm »
Thanks.  Have already tried teat changes to no affect.  May try making it warmer and see what happens.  Did think at first teething was a factor but this has been going on now gradually over 3 weeks.  Took him to clinic today and for first time ever his weight has stayed the same. 
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 13:16:34 pm »
I know how worrying it is when you feel like they might not be getting what they need. We went through exactly the same. Is he letting you know that he's hungry by waking at night or crying / not seeming very happy? If he seems content enough in himself then he probably is for the time being. You know how these babies like to keep us on our toes and change like the wind...!

To reassure you, I'm sure the team at the clinic would have spoken to you if there was cause for concern about his weight chart. I know they often don't seem as worried about the bigger babies. Apparently this is because they tend to plateau out a little where as the teeny babies have more catching up to do and tend to gain and gain for longer. 

Personally - if you can bear to wait - I'd go and get him weighed at the next session (assuming it's not too long away and assuming baby seems ok in all other respects) and if his gains are small or non existent then definitely ask for some advice. The likelihood is that all is well and it's just a phase as I said, however if you are worried then that is what the health visitors and doctors are there for. Probably 95% of their job is to provide reassurance and support.

One way or another, I'm sure you'll get him back on track soon.
All the best.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Suddenly stopped feeding well.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 14:24:22 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67403.0

I think this is the post you are looking for.

I completely agree that at this age it is the teat flow, there is a similar post to yours here. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=74044.0

it may be worth keeping an eye on this as well.
Lauren x

Offline Little Mo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Suddenly stopped feeding well.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 07:26:54 am »
Hey there! Just wanted to let you know your Lo is not the only one doing this. I have a 5 months old baby boy who has been doing the same for the past 2 or 3 weeks. 
My DS likes his milk warm, too. Try it, it might help.
As for the weight gain, don't worry. There are so many things that affect this. Mine, for example, does not gain any weight the week he has his shots.
Hang in there.
Monica
Monica