Author Topic: Bigger teat than Avent size 4?  (Read 9954 times)

Offline SallyDom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Bigger teat than Avent size 4?
« on: October 03, 2006, 18:28:14 pm »
Has anyone put holes into an Avent size 4 teat?

Dom is nearly 28 weeks and seems to drink less and less milk each day (although he is on antibiotics for an ear infection which I think is upsetting his tummy, he's hardly eaten any food for 2-3 days either). I hadn't thought about teat size being an issue but reading around this site has made me think it's possible it is.

So, are you ready for this(!):
*Has anyone made extra holes in the Avent teat, do you literally get a needle and put it through the end?
*Is there a bigger teat I could buy for an Avent bottle?
* have bought Dom an Avent magic cup but I got the 6 month + one and he bites the spout happily but doesn't know to suck it so have ordered a soft spout which I should receive anyday. Is it worth me waiting and trying to get him to drink milk out of that?
*Is it easier to drink out of the Magic cups than out of a bottle?

Any help or advice is much appreciated
Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Bigger teat than Avent size 4?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 18:38:58 pm »
Sal
I have just looked on their website and it looks like 4 is the largest. http://www.avent.com/uk/en/bottlefeeding_silicone_teats_indepth.php

I have put holes in teats before but they usually do not last too long as a result.  I used to use boots own latex fast teats, after a while they were not fast enough and started collapsing. I changed completely to NUK 10oz bottles with size 2, large hole and they are amazing.  :-*

Use a sterilized pin/needle and put the hole near the already existing one.

Magic cups: I find Calum loves drinking water or juice from these, because he takes it himself. He refused milk in the sippy, but will take some in the Boots own straw cup. After watching Calum trying to drink milk from the sippy I think the flow is too fast for him. Although every Lo is different and you LO may like it.  :-\

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 20:59:26 pm »
Aww thanks a lot for looking for me. I might wait and see how it goes (I'm sure the antibiotics are causing a lot of problems) and if it doesn't get any better look into the NUK ones, thank you

Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:23:37 am »
The only word of 'warning' on the NUK bottle and teats....
.....where I live I was able to buy the bottles - no problem, HOWEVER they only came with Size 1 teats (under 6months) @ Ģ3.99. I also found that the NUK latex teats collapsed alled the time when he sucked.

I had to go on line and order size 2 (over 6  months) silicone with a large hole, since then thy have been perfect. I was only able to buy size 1 replacement NUK teats locally  :'(.

NUK 'First choice', wide neck 300ml bottles. http://www.nuk.de/nuk2003/html/main.php?target=_top&path=%2Fproducts%2Fneuheiten&lang=en

'First choice' Teats http://www.nuk.de/nuk2003/html/main.php?target=_top&path=%2Fproducts%2Fneuheiten&lang=en

Replacement teats
http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/search.basic.asp?page=1&searchname=First+Choice&searchtype=name
Lauren x

Offline cathbilson

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • My gorgeous guys
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:35:03 am »
Sal, just a quick note, the Avent Variflow are a lot quicker than size 4 when turned to the fast flow position. I know this because sometimes Kieran seems grumpy on size 4 and I think he's not drinking fast enough, but when I try the Variflow he can't gulp it down quickly enough and spills everywhere!
Out of interest when you say he's eating very little - how little do you mean? Kieran's um, 21 weeks I think - something like that - and a v good day for him is 26 oz. Today so far it's been 15 and I'll probably get another 4 down him at df.  :(
Mum to Kieran (born 10 May 2006)

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:02:58 am »
Calums mum - Thanks again I'll have a look into the NUK bottles, I suppose I'd never considered anything other than Avent cos that's what my sister and friends use!

Cathbilson - I'd not thought of the Avent Variflow, might try one of those first to save me buying a whole new set of bottles. With regards to amounts of milk, its a bit of a long story...Dom is a big baby and was eating around 35oz of milk and that was without a df cos he wouldn't take one. Then he started teething at about 19 weeks and got his first cold and suddenly it was a nightmare to get much more than about 15 oz into him. He got over the cold and his teeth came through but his intake only went up to about 24oz. I tried the df one night and he took loads so now we are df 8oz each night which means he is now sleeping through from 7pm-7am. I came to the conclusion he was getting bored of milk so started weaning him and his milk intake actually got better, so whether food making him thirsty or he was just happier with a more varied diet I aren't sure. Then (it's never easy is it!?!) we went on holiday and he got an ear infection from all the swimming and also got a bit of a cold so has been on antibiotics for 9 days now. He has had diarhhoea a couple of times in this past week, hasn't eaten any food for 3 days now and his milk intake is anywhere between 15-22oz, which for him is low. I think some of it is developmental though; he sometimes will drink more if I sit him bolt upright and let him bring the bottle to his mouth himself. Think its got to be on his terms! Yesterday he even took a bit more sitting in his highchair with me holding the bottle in his mouth (he won't hold it himself completely). Why doesn't he want his mummy to cuddle him anymore. It's just so unfair!!!   
So basically he was drinking 35oz and now it's a struggle to get more than 25oz in to him. I'm hoping things will get better when he's finished his medicine.
Do you think Kieran is teething or something or just not having a hungry day?
Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline cathbilson

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • My gorgeous guys
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:54:54 am »
I dunno, but Im a bit relieved to hear someone else is in the same boat to be honest! Kieran's never been a huge eater, but he was taking 24-30 oz, and now it's 18-25 - and 25 is a great day! He's been at it for about a fortnight and no sign of teeth yet. I have started weaning but we're a bit stop start to be honest - sometimes I wonder if he's not holding out for solids! And he's only jsut coming up 5 months so I'm in no rush.
The big disaster right now is that he's constipated, poor little thing. I'm trying to get as much water into him as I can without compromising his milk intake and today got 4 oz into him, plus about an oz of pears, but he was still grunting and purple trying to pass a hard little cone of poo (sorry if TMI!)
Weather is getting hot here in Queensland and I'm getting really stressed about his fluid intake. If he only eats 18 oz plus 4 oz of water that's 22 oz fluids - most people's babies are taking 30 +! No wonder he's constipated!
No idea what to do except hope it passes and keep giving water between meal times. Might try a sippy cup as well, I hear they can get resistant to the bottle.
Mum to Kieran (born 10 May 2006)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 10:11:52 am »
Hi Sally
Your comment about it being developmental and him not letting you cuddle him any more sure rang a bell with me! Dd was about the same age as your lo when she decided she was NOT going to lie in my arms to have her bottle any more- we had a brief period where her milk intake dropped. Then I bought a nursing pillow and tried putting it next to me on the sofa and laying her back on it- worked like magic!  ;D (other welcome side effects- meant I had one hand free whilst feeding!) we still have to use it even now, it comes everywhere we go and is universally known as the "magic pillow". it seems to be REALLY important to lo that she is comfortable when feeding and I guess she just can't get comfy on mummy any more as she is just too big and too fidgety...
kathryn x
]

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 20:10:47 pm »
I've got a nursing pillow, I'll try it first thing tomorrow. I'm quite excited to see if it helps him to drink. On the other hand I am quite gutted my little man doesn't need his mummy for absolutely everything anymore. Though probably a while ago I'd have been happy for Dominic to not need me for absolutely everything. I'm never happy!
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline KathrynK

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 20:15:04 pm »
hope it works for you- let me know!
]

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 20:40:41 pm »
Sally,

Thomas went through that phase of not wanting to be held for his bottles at around 4 months old - We had to prop him up on the couch, and that is how he has drunk his bottles

It was only at around 13 months, that he decided he wanted to be on my lap - now I have a big toddler in my lap who won't hold his own bottles, trying to be mummy's baby again. ;D  I love it though.  :P
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 06:54:35 am »
Aww bless, Only 7 months to go then and I might get my baby back again!
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 07:32:10 am »
Sally
I forgot to mention the Chicco bottle we used to use (the one with the angles head) they have fast teats that are very fast - 3 holes.   Calum didn't like the shape of the teat, but I seem to remember it was similar to the avent ones - I think they only come in latex through.  :-\  Both are wide necks so the chicco teats may fit the avent bottles??
Lauren x

Offline SallyDom

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 07:55:04 am »
Thanks I'll have a look at those too. This website is so amazing. I really wonder what I'd be doing if I hadn't read BW and then come on to here (actually I do, I'd be AP from here to adolescence!)
Dominic Luke 29/03/06

Offline KathrynK

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 13:03:20 pm »
Just wanted to show some appreciation to cathbilson- the Avent variflow truly are much faster than the size 4! dd has decided this week that fast flow is just not fast enough so I tried poking an extra hole, which did the trick but I read the pp's notes of caution about the teats then giving out quickly and tried a Variflow instead- hoorah! we have had 2 empty 9oz bottles today instead of the 4 oz disasters of the last 3 days!
]