Author Topic: Growth spurt?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Mamastalawatt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Me and my beautiful boy!
Growth spurt?
« on: April 10, 2006, 21:44:04 pm »
Does this sound like a growth spurt?  Today my DS slept a lot more (I thought it was down to me cracking the double cycle thing) and tonight has taken twice as much milk as normal - double his usual last feed, and a full extra feed (4oz) between his last feed and his dream feed.

He's 13 weeks today so I know he's due one, but it seems to have come on very suddenly.

How long do they usually last?  How do you know when they're over?

Thanks

Mama

PS I did have him well wrapped in his crib tonight as our heating broke down and the house is freezing - think I might have over done it though as he was really sweaty and irritable when he woke up.  Maybe he was just too hot and thirsty?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Growth spurt?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 22:05:57 pm »
Growth spurts are sudden... no warning  ;D  Just go with the flow and feed on demand for a couple days.  Try to up the feeds during the day (cluster feeding before bed) so *hopefully* you won't be up at night.  Typically they last a couple days, but can go for a week.  My dd1 was always sleepier during a growth spurt as well.
Good luck!
~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Carter'sMama

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:32:46 am »
I agree with Rachel ... growth spurts can come on very suddenly, and last for a few days to a week.  I was lucky as my DS's growth spurts were exactly at 12 weeks, 6 months, 12 months etc and only lasted for 2 days each time.  I am envious of the sleepiness though as I never experienced that!!

By feeding on demand your body will realize you need more milk and start producing more to meet your lo's needs!

The heat could add a little bit to your lo being so thirsty but I doubt that is the only reason  :)

HTH
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:20:40 am »
I think if it lasts more than one day you can safely bet it is a growth spurt. Feed on demand and dont worry too much about his routine he'll fall back into it once his growth spurt is over. Anymore questions please ask!  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06