Author Topic: How many bfs a day for 6mo old?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Cory'stiredmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cory'shappymom
How many bfs a day for 6mo old?
« on: April 13, 2006, 22:37:35 pm »
Hello all,
I am wondering how many times my 6mo old should be getting breastfed.
Currently, I BF at 7am 10:45, 2:30, 6:30 and sometimes after 1am (They are not exactly 4 hrs apart as 7:00 is too late for him to begin his last feed.)
I have started out on solids meaning a cube of pear/potato once a day and 2 tsp of rice cereal.
I feed him the solids before at the 10:45 feed and the 6:15 feed.
What I am experiencing is that his 2:30 feed is very little. Theoretically I am guessing that he could feed better at 2:45 if I dropped the 4 ounces during the night. However, feeding him once when he wakes naturally has resulted is awesome nights. BTW, I am doing the core process (not sure if that is its name) and do not plan to feed before 1:30am. Last night he woke at 2am gulped 4 pounces of bottle/boobie and slept until 7am. I really don't mind waking once in the night. 4 weeks ago it was 4-5 times.

Sorry that the above is not flowing.. Cory is being a little needy right now ;)
I guess, in part I am looking for a schedule that will include enough BFs. I also have his swimming lessons starting next week which are between 11:30 and noon. Normally he feeds at 11:00 but this may change if solids are intro'd at breakfast!

Anyone have a feeding schedule they can share? I have noticed that Cory will not eat before 3.5hrs are up from the last feed and he also will not take solids after BF'ing - only before...

Any input would be totally loved!
Sarina - Cory's mom

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: How many bfs a day for 6mo old?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 00:02:17 am »
Sarina -
My 7 month old's routine looks like this (it was pretty similar at 6 months as well)
7am bf
8/8:30 solids
11/11:30 bf
12/12:30/1 solids
3/3:30 bf
5/5:30 solids
6:30/7 bf
9:45 dreamfeed (at 6 months this was 10:30, we are phasing it out)

Hope that helps.  How long to you wait after bf to give solids?  That may make a difference as well.

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Cory'stiredmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cory'shappymom
Re: How many bfs a day for 6mo old?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:10:24 am »
Thanks for your response! I was trying to give it to him after BF'ing but he didn't want any. I am trying a variety of things now. Today I gave him solids at 5:00 and will BF at 6:30. He took the solids very well!
I will work from your schedule. I may try to see if he can go from solids at 8:30 or so until noon. These 11:30 swimming lessons are acting like a little speed bump that I need to get around:-) If I try to feed in the change room... well... he gets distracted very easily;-)