Author Topic: Baby rejecting right boob - Pls help  (Read 2081 times)

Offline einnob

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 12, 2006, 20:02:06 pm »
It started some 3 week ago but getting progressively worse... my baby is now 8 weeks old and will only take the right breast anything between 5 to 10 minutes before pulling off and crying.  He will try latching and sucking again and cries as though his efforts were futile.  He appears to still be hungry as he happily takes the left breast/ bottle with expressed milk/ formula.

I have tried the following:

(1) burping
(2) distracting him a little before putting him back to the breast
(3) different positions
(4) giving him the breast first thing in the morning when it is at its fullest
(5) offering it to him at his hungriest

I have also done a yield, with the right breast producing almost as much as the left.  Well... that was yesterday.  Will my right breast dry out over time with the insufficient sucking from the baby?

I am now at my wit's end and feeling dejected.  I would love to continue breastfeeding for some months to come but don't know if this is still feasible. 

Also, FYI... he wets his nappies and poos regularly.  Also noticed in the last week or so, tiny little white things (maybe teeth) beneath the (bottom) gum surface. 

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Bonnie (concerned mum to darling Maximilian)

Offline Messa

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
Re: Baby rejecting right boob - Pls help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 21:31:57 pm »
I don't really know much about BF as I had to stop at 3  months, but my reply should help bump you to the top of the boards again. Maybe the right breast empties faster then the left and it is empty after the 10 mins.
Melissa

Offline maxmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 21:50:39 pm »
Hi, my lo has always been more comfortable on my right breast, he jerks his head away if i try and put him on the left.  I recently took him to a cranial osteopath and she noticed straight away that he doesn't like turning his head to the right.  She identified areas of tension and has begun working on them and even after the first session he was feeding from the left side much better.  Of course your lo may have a completely different issue going on - they're a blinkin' mystery sometimes  ;)  I did find that DS will feed happily from either side if i lie him on his side next to me in bed as this means his head is facing forwards-you could try this.

Good luck.

p.s. my lo also has tiny white marks on his lower gums but i'm no wiser then you about these-sorry.

Offline Monika aka annamum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 02:23:19 am »
Hi,

Just a quick answer as I don't have too much time. My dd rejected my left boob from day one. I tried for some time to coach her into taking both sides but it was so frustrating for both of us. I stopped trying and my left breast dried up. I was using only my right one all the way until now, my dd is 27 months old and still nursing. SHe was exclusively breastfed till she was 7 months old and she thrived. You can certainly breastfeed with one breast only. Here is a link to a site that has tons of info on that: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html, this is by the way not uncommon to have a baby with a preference, some babies don't like too fast milk flow while some don't like it too slow. My dd was nursing from one breast only at the time and she was always done in 5 minutes.
tandem nursing mama to sweet Anna (Feb 2004) and Alexandra (born at home Dec 2006)

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 20:30:33 pm »
My DS was really fussy about my left breast from day one. I had to work pretty hard at getting him to latch. Now there isn't so much of a difference and latching doesn't need that same attention. The position I hold DS in differs for each boob and I also notice that he gets hungry quicker if the last feed was from the left boob. It might be worth seeking a breast feeding consultant to double check your positioning.

Also, in my experience the art of breast feeding does get easier as they get bigger (except they can get distracted).

Good luck.

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline einnob

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 10:25:49 am »
thx for all your replies.  everything is worth considering.  i've even called some breastfeeding helpline having an earlier thread.  the consultant told me to feed doubleside as she too believes the right breast is yielding less than the baby's requirements, and the baby may be an efficient feeder.  there is hope afterall....   ;)

p/s: i took baby to a cranial osteopath several weeks ago for a routine check-up... all's apparently well there, so definitely not a shoulder stiffness issue (although he was born with shoulder dystocia).

KRs, Bonnie (mummy to screaming Maximilian)

Offline maxmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 10:53:40 am »
Excellent taste in names Bonnie, we went for just 'Max'!  Good luck with that right boob!

xxx

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:02:57 am »
how funny my lo is called Max to. We were going to go for Maximus but decided to stick to Max.

Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck.

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline erinsmum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 20:41:04 pm »
my 11 week old developed a similar problem about 3 weeks ago - after coming off one side I would burp her and try to put her back on, but she would fight it - I first thought she was full so gave up forcing her - but then last week, worried that she wasnt getting eough calories over the day I tried switching sides once she protested - she went straight on. Sometimes I then try and switch her back to the original side after 10 mins,  and sometimes she takes it or doesnt. I was also told it could be a stiffness, or that I naturally hold her more comfortably one way or the other. Definately worth trying the other side tho .
Another thing to try. when you LO comes off and wont go back, try squeezing some milk out and see if it flows ok, and what thickness it is.... more often than not one or more of my ducts squirts like a fountain as if it was blocked until the pressure of me squeezing freed it.. After I have 'balanced' them all to the same flow, she seems to go back on a bit more happily... might be a red herring but I just keep experimenting.

Offline einnob

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 22:19:18 pm »
maxsmum/ julie w:

wow!  a "max" fan club   ;D.  we call our lo max/ maxie for short.  i liked maximus too but then everyone's gonna think i'm mad for russell crowe.

erinsmum:

thx for your reply.  i like your idea of checking the flow when lo pulls off.  will try tonight.  have been "trying" to fool him all day by switching between the cradle and rugby positions alternately when he got bored.  he quickly got the hang of what i was trying to do and resisted.