Author Topic: when to give solids at night time??  (Read 1710 times)

Offline andrea21

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
when to give solids at night time??
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:46:40 am »
Ok I am not sure if I have this in the right place!! So sorry if in wrong place.
My Ds is 5 months in 3 days,and we have started him on cereal in the mornings and all is well.
We have to start him on cereal in the evenings next week but not really sure to when should start it for him,with his routine and our families routine.
Here is his routine now,and this week has been good.
7am awake and 180ml
8.10am cereal
8.30-9am sleep until 10.30-11am

11am 210ml
12.30-1.15-1.30 sleep

3pm 210ml
4-6pm sleep

6pm 210ml
8pm 210ml
After his last feed at 8pm,that is it until 7am the next morning.He has slept thru the night since 8weeks old and really don't want to change his night time feeding yet if i can as he does sleep all night.

My next drama is from these hours I can be feeding as am taking my DD to and from school.
8.50am-9am
11.45am-12.10pm
2.20pm-2.30pm
4.15pm-4.35pm
6.00-6.30pm(every tue,Thur swimming classes)

So I am not really sure where I should start doing his cereal at night time and when I do his lunch feed?
These times of coming and going will only be like this for another 5 weeks then she is on holidays for 3 months,so he will be alot older when she goes back to school,and not need so much sleep.

His sleep times aren't normal this long,but this week,he has been having these longer times.

So any advice on what I could change or where to slot the new changes in would be really good.

Thank you
Andrea...

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
Re: when to give solids at night time??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 18:45:16 pm »
I am in Spain and they have told me to do,cereal in morning and night and fruit for lunch.

Yeah night time as give for dinner.i thought it was different too.With my DD I never gave cereal at night time.
They are very much what the doc says here,goes everything down to what time you go in sun.
I don't do most things they say,been I am aus and we have different ways,but thats what they said for us to do.
What would reccommend?

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 20:16:36 pm »
I tend to do what I think is right over here,then what they say.They have some strange ways here for some things.I think so anyway.
Thanks for your advice,will just keep going with the cereal for the next few weeks..

Andrea...

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 20:25:14 pm »
Would agree, add your 2nd solids as lunch. You need to make sure your baby can digest all foods you are giving before adding them in at night. I started with lunch, added " dinner" at 5pm which was a good 2 hours before last bottle and made sure was food already given and added breakfast last. This also ensured dd had a good lunch and the lunch bottle was the easiest to get rid of when the time came.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 00:45:48 am »
Is their a particular reason why you are starting a 2nd meal already?
If you really want to introduce a 2nd meal i also suggest lunchtime is best that is what we did. We didn't start the 3rd meal dinner until 2 months after starting solids.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 09:41:16 am »
No they just told me to start him on cereal morning and night and fruit at lunch time.
I don't want to mess his night time routine around too much as he is use to it now and it works for him.Plus he sleeps thru the night.
I have only started him on cereal this week and only getting use to it.I just wanted to find out what most people do,to try and work out what is best for us.

Will just keep going on cereal for time been.
What is the recommended amount of cereal in the mornings?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:00:52 am »
I'd say don't rock a smooth sailing boat... if he starts waking at night then offer more solids, but for now I wouldn't & if the Dr/Nurse say you should be doing it, tell them World Health Organisation say there is no need to introduce solids before 6mo, esp if it causes extra anxiety for you & your routines
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline andrea21

• My 2 boys...
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:01 am »
It is great getting advice from other mothers as they have or are in the same situation.But over here in Spain,they are very much was the professional says go!!
And with me doesn't allways go that way.I don't rush my kids to the doc when they get a cold as they tell you they same thing every time,but most people here think I am weird cause I don't go the doc when sick.
Maybe thats why I clash with them over alot of things,and hate my visits.

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 11:29:20 am »
Hi! While I totally agree with all the above advice re: sticking to how things are going and its too early to start a 2nd meal (we didnt start a first till after 6mo!), I would like to suggest that people keep in mind cultural diffs in weaning approach! I live in Italy and I can tell u its very diff to UK or US! I cannot say which i think 'works best' as I think every should apply whats right for their kids but I woudl ask people to keep an open mind! I was questioned as to why on earth I would give my child biscuit, but obviously this was baby biscuits, gluten, egg and sugar free! For example, here in italy my ped (head of pediatric enterogastrology!) suggests waiting with cereal. I would love to give Ds cereal as thats the suggestion over in Uk but u can see how opinions may clash!

Andrea21...I dont know how things are doen in Spain but I suggest following ur peds recommendations and more importantly...ur instinct! Ur LO seems to be doing so well, I wouldnt change anything!