Author Topic: How much solids?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline chezzie8

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
How much solids?
« on: September 08, 2006, 13:45:53 pm »
Hi everyone,

First time I have popped over here, but need some help on how much solids I should be giving my 5 and a half month old.

She has nasty reflux, so is on meds for that, and I had to stop breastfeeding her 2 weeks ago and is on hypoallergenic formula. I was told to start solids early, and she has been on baby rice since 4 months, I now put it in her bottles as this helps her reflux when it is thickened.

I started a couple of weeks ago giving her lunch, and I have no idea how much I should be giving her. The Dr's want me to get her on 3 meals a day quickly, the less milk the less fluid she can reflux. She is a big baby, 18 pounds, taking 30-36oz a day!

She is having half a jar of baby food at the moment. How much should she  have? should she have the same for dinner too? Should I be  giving her baby rice for breakfast too? I want to keep away from wheat and gluten, and she is off dairy too.

Any advice would be great, Im all a little new to this! Night before last was the first night she didnt wake for her night feed. But last night she did  ::)

Thanks in advance,

Cheryl  & Ellie x

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: How much solids?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:37:25 am »
So let me get this straight the doctor wants you to cut back on milk and increase solids? Increasing solids doesn't always help reflux especially if it is a more serve case. Milk is still important for them at this age and should get approx 26-32ozs a day.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 03:32:45 am »
I agree with pp. When you do giove solids you'll also find even after 6  months you often have to go really slowly, and that reflux symptoms may get worse rather then better. Milk, either breastmilk or formula are still the most importent food for your LO.
Kimberly

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 15:24:20 pm »
I totally agree with pp 's .Milk is more important at this age .It doesn't help all refluxers starting solids early , we started at 6 months and to be honest it didn't help with Ryan's reflux at all  ::) he was still spitting up the same amount only thicker .If you over feed a refluxer you could run into other problems too , constipation and stomach cramps.I personally wouldn't rush moving to 3 meals .Our pead did suggest for us to do the same with increasing solids and decreasing milk but this was after 12 months old , i still followed Ryan's cues , if he wanted his milk then he had it , i wasn't going to take away something he was enjoying .
 At one point we thought decreasing his OZ at the night feed was helping him , we gave him cereal and gave the nissing OZ in other feeds but it didn't always work  :-\ .Now Ryan drinks a lot of water in the night and it helps .does the theory work at all ?
 Also our Pead said Ryan didn't need milk at 12 months and he would be better off without it  :-\  again we carried on with the milk .When he did give up drinking milk we didn't see a difference at all so i'm glad we carried on .
 It is your decision what you do regarding milk but milk is more important at this age
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 17:27:51 pm by ryan's mum »
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 17:24:41 pm »
I have a reflux baby as well, and have to agree wtih PP. A refluxer tends to have an immature digestive system, so solids can really do a whammy on them if you're not careful! Slow introduction in small amounts is the best way to start. They usually recommend 1-2 tsp for 3-7 days. We do 7 days b/c LO is very gassy, and it often takes a good 3 days before a bad reaction shows up.

Once you get past the introduction period (with 1-2 tsp). Then you can allow LO to eat as much as they like. However, with a refluxer again it's best to go slow, starting with 1-2 Tbs and gradually building up from there. I think 1/2 jar of baby food is approximately 4 Tbs, but I could be wrong (depends on if it's a Stage 1 or Stage 2 or Stage 3 jar).

I really do have to agree with others on keeping the milk in the diet. Trust your baby - they know what they need. As you add solids, LO will cut back a bit on their own, but will probably still keep it a mainstay to their diet. Older doctors still don't really have the latest info on reflux which can be very frustrating since we rely on they to tell us what's right!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 14:23:09 pm »
Hello i have 6 & half m/o, she has only recently started solids properly.
Last time I went to the my health visitor she said cut her milk down increase her solids (which stressed and panicked me).
However just got back from a different health visitor and have been told to increase milk and not to worry (daughter a little under weight). Basically Just go at babies pace. 
LO has baby porridge for breakfast (mixed with bottle milk), H/V said to feed them about a jars worth then top up with milk.

Hope this helps!