Author Topic: 6 wk old taking less? Possible reasons??  (Read 999 times)

Offline cooljewel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 31, 2011, 00:29:37 am »
Hi,

My LO is now 6 wks old and up until the last week she has always pretty much emptied her bottles approx (125mls).  But the last week she has been taking 75-100mls and not showing alot of interest in her feeds.  She tends to gulp alot at the beggining of the feed so I am winding and giving her a break 1/2 way through.  And also is crying alot when I offer her the rest, but trying to suck and then gets upset.

She is on a 3 hour EASY and starting to light at the end of the tunnel with a better routine.  She is DF at 10:30pm 125-150mls and wakes at approx 3:30am.  And the night feed she has been only having 75mls also, but happy to sleep until 7ish.

My first was a reflux baby and am praying that this is not the case again, considering she has been a perfect feeder until now. However, this is what my first started doing at this age so.....

So my questions are:  After having a big DF and then showing less interest in her NF should I be offering less at night to be able to offer more in the day already or is it too soon for that? 

Is it too soon for the next teat size?  Considering she is gulping at the beginning of the feed, I was thinking she is trying to get it faster and cause she isn't she is getting too much air and then getting annoyed at the end of the feed?  It can be hard to tell sometime if they are fussing cause it's coming out too fast or too slow.  She is still on the slow flow teats.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 6 wk old taking less? Possible reasons??
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 15:36:54 pm »
I would try the next size teat and see of that helps, or a vari-flow teat if your bottle type does them (but not if it's Avent 'cos they are really fast!).

Keep an eye on her, if no1 had reflux then it is possible that no 2 could as well (as I know from experience ::)), at least you know what is happening and can get help quickly. The taking a few oz, stopping and refusing to feed could indicate reflux. It would be worth getting her checked out anyway I would think.

Laura

Offline cooljewel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:50:16 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I tried the faster teat but it was worse, so I will try all the usual reflux precautions and go and get her checked. 

She has been a perfect feeder until now, can reflux only present itself later or would you be more prone to notice symptoms straight away?

Offline cjcoolcat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:06 am »
my 10 weeks old baby only started with reflux 4 weeks ago. No change in food etc, justt started doing it, they grow out of it and as long as it doesn't upset them, you should just ensure they are comfortable. Good luck