Author Topic: Advice re. weaning 0400 bottle  (Read 782 times)

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
Advice re. weaning 0400 bottle
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:14 am »
Just curious if anyone had any advice on how to efficiently do this.  My LO generally wakes at 1100-1130 and eats 6 ounces then sleeps until 0400-0430 and gets a bottle here as well.  I have been noticing over the past few days that he is not taking a full bottle in the am at around 0730 when we normally do his breakfast bottle.  At 0400 he eats around 140 mL, but over the past few night we have decreased it to 120 and were going to go down to 100 tonight.  It would be lovely if we could get him to extend his sleep and avoid this bottle - but I'm not sure if he needs it to ensure that he gets the appropriate intake.  Should I try and add another bottle during the day?  Right now he eats around 850-1000 mL with the 0400 bottle.  Sorry a little confused with what to do here.

thanks for anyone's help :)

K

*Kristen*

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Advice re. weaning 0400 bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:13:19 pm »
Have you tried doing a DF between 10 and 11 rather than him waking for the feed a bit later? He may then be hungry a bit earlier in the night so if he is fed before 4am he should be hungrier for his breakfast feed?

He's not taking a huge feed at 4am so you could always carry on reducing it and re-settle and see how he goes. If he is hungry he will wake for a feed and you won't be able to settle him for long.

Laura

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
Re: Advice re. weaning 0400 bottle
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:55:43 pm »
We tried the dreamfeed for about 10 days, and gave up with it.  He was actually waking up more, and he has ++ gas (gets infacol before his bottles) and we could never get a burp out.  He would end up waking an hour or so later screaming with a big burp.

I am always hoping that he might sleep from 730-1 ish then have a bottle around then, but hasn't happened yet and he takes a good feed at 1100 of around 6 ounces (which is his max right now).

He is currently on a four hour easy - which has made a huge improvement in the amount that he eats/bottle.

Thanks for the advice - maybe we should just continue decreasing the volume at 0400 or try pushing the 1100 pm bottle further ahead to 12 or 1?

*Kristen*