Author Topic: Preparing for weaning  (Read 11684 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Preparing for weaning
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 14:11:16 pm »
Following with interest.  DD has been on solids for 3 or 4 weeks now, we started with purées and mash on loaded spoons with DD self feeding, just because I get worried about choking in the early days.  She's now refusing any spoons now so we're moving to full BLW & finger foods.

I too feel sad about moving on to the next stage.  Oddly I miss BF nappies and feel a bit sad every time her nappy is a bit thicker & more solid! But pleased too that something must be going in!

I am lazy and can't be bothered making separate baby meals so she tends to have what we're having & I adapt our meals to be baby friendly. Our meals look like this:

Breakfast: pieces of fruit and either porridge or wheetabix made with less than normal milk so it's thick and claggy for her to pick up.

Lunch- we tend to have sandwiches or stuff on toast, so giving DD toast crusts dipped in one of the purées I'd prepared before, or I make thick smooth soup to dip toast. Thinking of trying scrambled egg or strips of omelette soon.

Tea: We have pasta and sauce so I give her easy to grab pasta dipped in sauce, or we have fish/chicken, potatoes & veg so she has strips of that stuff to try.

She had her first taste of roast dinner today - roast parsnip sticks were a particular success
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:28 am »
Sounds good SM!

I've just read most of the BLW book so have got a better idea of what we are in for now. Hoping the messy stage doesn't last too long, and wondering how I can persuade my sugar monster boys to tone it down so that baby doesn't want their food and get denied it.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:25 am »
When baby is still little it might not be too hard to do sugar-eating in a different room or during baby's nap time.  I think there are a few of us who have done "secret junk eating" out of sight of the LOs :)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 10:17:26 am »
wondering how I can persuade my sugar monster boys to tone it down so that baby doesn't want their food and get denied it.
While he's still little I would think you'd be able to offer an alternative. (I'd try that first anyway).

Eg with DD2 she was happy to have a plain rice cake when she was little at times when DD1 had a treat like, e.g., a biscuit or cake.    As she's got older though of course she wants the same thing but she was happy to have an alternative when she was younger.

When do you think you'll start?  (I've lost track of how old your DS2 is!)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 12:31:39 pm »
  I think there are a few of us who have done "secret junk eating" out of sight of the LOs :)

Chomping on surreptitious chocolate as I type!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 14:11:08 pm »
He's nearly five and a half months Cath (my baby is growing up too fast, sob)!

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 19:39:31 pm »
The other thing I think is that esp with BLW they don't get much in, at least to start with. So I let my baby try anything the others are eating (except crisps and honey!). He has had tastes of ice cream, chocolate, cakes.....I have a close relative with an eating disorder and I am desperate for them to grow up thinking about food in a normal or relaxed way. In general we all eat the same things, and they are healthy, so I am relaxed about a bit of sharing. Esp as the twins give it with so much love, I never get tired of seeing them break a biscuit in half and hand it over!!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2016, 20:42:23 pm »
He's nearly five and a half months Cath (my baby is growing up too fast, sob)!

Gosh, he is isn't he!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2016, 18:59:43 pm »
I have more questions, please bear with me....

How often did you eat outside? It seems a real faff trying to sort a clean area for him in the garden but we are out a lot in the summer. Considering an ikea high chair just for outside.

What do you have in your change bag for BLW? The book says no bib, just strip them off, but surely not in a restaurant? I will take dettol wipes or similar, and a few bits of 'safe' food. Little cup? Cutlery, or not?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 20:25:14 pm »
Never used dettol wipes, but could be good for cleaning a high chair in a café, I suppose.  I am not an anti-bac fan, but like Bentley's organic hand sanitiser.  We had little cutlery but it didn't get much use til maybe 10 mos. 

I always used a bib, and almost never stripped them off, unless it was high summer.  9 times out of 10 they could eat something I was having or from the menu, but you can easily carry a banana, some rice cakes, some chunks of roasted veg, cubes of cheese if you've got that far. Just food, yk?  We often ate outside but it was just a question of carrying the chair outside.  I don't get what you mean by a 'clean area', we would also often just sit on a blanket on the grass, easy peasy.  We had the Ikea antilop for both of them and it is still going strong for visitors, and hands down the best high chair going IMHO, so easy to clean, move, use, comfortable. everything. Definitely worth £10 I paid!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline creations

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 08:02:53 am »
We ate out a lot because it was summer when DS turned 6 months so I often threw a picnic in a bag to whizz us out between sleeps.  Also ate in cafes and restaurants too.  Actually I think his first piece of solid was in a pub for lunch, I had not planned for him to eat but that's how it turned out - a case of hand him some food or I'd have to leave because he'd scream the place down.  In my head I'd imagined some perfect planning on solids introduction, just didn't turn out like that.

For picnic out door eating I took a picnic blanket, some food, water, a wet face cloth in a zip-lock bag for his hands and face and a small pack of hand wipes for emergencies, usually a muslin for a bib.  He didn't really drop his food but if he did it would be onto a muslin I suppose so I'd consider it clean enough to be picked up again.
I always travelled very light so if it was just taking food for him (ie not a full picnic for me too) it would be literally be a couple of tubs thrown into my hand bag and a wet cloth.

We went out for Sunday roast when he was only just 6 months, I steamed some veggies to take so I had something similar to our meal but prepared salt free and in finger sized batons.  He was given a few bits from our plates too (hunk of beef off my mum with a dab of gravy on it, that would have been salty but just a tiny amount) a roast potato,  bit of yorkshire pud etc.  Steaming the veggies for him only took about 10 mins and just put them in a small tub, probably another tub of fruit knowing me and maybe a tub of bread sticks or pancakes too (I always made sure he had something to eat whilst we waited for our order or he'd get impatient).

I sometimes asked in a cafe or restaurant for them to clean the high chair tray (some of them are gross) and sometimes used my emergency wipes to clean it down or wipe the table if the chair had no tray and if I had no plate.  When he was a little older I carried a plastic plate, plastic sippy cup, kids fork in a zip lock bag and I did take a bib (the waterproof sort), and still put a muslin around his waist which covered his legs and clothes and also prevented some food dropping to the floor.  Some places washed the fork and plate up for me and returned them to us, others didn't and I just popped them back into the bag dirty, no problem.
The only reason I took a fork to a restaurant is because he used a fork often at home, he started with it pretty early, to begin with a small plastic fork then a kids metal fork.  He did find some adult forks quite heavy and hard to use properly. I later took the full set, knife, fork, spoon.

I really didn't find BLW all that messy tbh. I think the only time he ever ate in just a nappy was when we had a heat wave and he was not dressed anyway, I never stripped him for meals otherwise.

The ikea antiplop is certain the best high chair ever!  We used it out on our roof terrace and in the kitchen at home (we have the baby dan at the dining table), it certainly provides an instant clean area to place food but then a plastic plate does that too if it's just a place for food you need.  If you're home and going into the garden to sit on grass you could use a large tray (set of 3 from the £ shop comes to mind, yk just tea trays) to place in front of him, easy to carry and clean.  I wouldn't bother taking anything 'special' out to cafe's though cos it just adds to the amount of stuff you've got to carry.
I have a vague memory of having a fold up plastic change mat (very thin though, not a comfy change mat, a thin cheap thing that folded up tiny) which could act like a waterproof picnic blanket for DS if I needed him to sit on someone's carpet to eat.  I think it was something I just had in the car rather than something I carried all around.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 10:20:11 am »
I mean sitting at our wooden garden table, certainly not clean enough to eat from! It would be a real faff getting the chair down there too, so perhaps a grass picnic might work.

I like the muslin as bib idea, I have loads of those!

Offline creations

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 18:57:27 pm »
I think the Ikea chair would last relatively well if left out doors, you could just tip it over to keep the rain off or let it drain off yk like regular garden furniture. I mean the plastic would perish eventually in a very hot country but I think a Summer in the UK it would be totally fine.

Otherwise where would LO sit? on your knee at the table?  If so then a plastic plate or tea tray is fine to put food on. Or like you said sit on a blanket on the grass.
Or if your outside chairs are stable enough then maybe one of those travel type safety thingies which harness LO onto a regular chair. I wouldn't do it with ours though, they tip too easily.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 17:53:02 pm »
Well we have started and he is loving it! Tonight's home made baked beans (mashed, with chips to dip into them) were a particularly messy success.

Glad I have lots in the freezer to offer him different tastes.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 21:56:07 pm »
Have you see Close pop-in bibs? They are amazing! They are made from soft PUL (like they make washable nappy shells from) rather than plastic, but are waterproof and washable. Not the cheapest - but they are the best I have ever found. I am heading towards needing to buy some stage 4 ones as Thomas is just outgrowing the stage 3, but he has worn these from 6 months.

http://www.babipur.co.uk/feeding-teething-bpa-free/coverall-bibs-baby-led-weaning/pop-in-stage-3-coverall-bibs-2016-prints.html

You can sometimes find last seasons prints cheaper  ::).

They wash and dry super fast so you only need 2 even if using full time.