Author Topic: Constantly asking to eat food  (Read 827 times)

Offline teresamac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Constantly asking to eat food
« on: July 04, 2007, 18:46:58 pm »
My son just turned 2 in May.  He LOVES food, and we have been very blessed in the eating department....HOWEVER, he wants to eat all day long and he wants to talk about everything that he has eaten.  When he is upset, he immediately asks for food which we have never given him food to make it better so I don't know why he does it.  I feel like he would definitely be an emotional eater if we let him.  The minute he finishes any meal he asks for something else.  He eats 3 meals and 2 snacks.  It seems like his life revovles around food.  I honestly feel like he would eat every waking moment if he could.  Any advice would be very welcomed.  Thank you.

em_here

Re: Constantly asking to eat food
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 19:22:17 pm »
My Ds has 3 meals and 2 snacks also, so don't think that seems too bad. Maybe he will be a chef?

Seriously, has distraction worked, ie toys, games etc, or does he go on about it literally ALL day. My DS asks for juice EVERY TEN MINS! I now distract him wherever possible xxx

Offline taygensmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 19:31:53 pm »
Does he have plenty of activites/ things to do during the day? DO you think part of it is boredom? I would jsut make sure there are some planned activites and then stick to a consistent meal/snack schedule. If you do this consistently and don't give extra snacks in between he should eventually fall into the routine. Also, when he is requesting food when he is upset I would focus on teaching him some other things to do when he is upset (i.e. let's go outside and kick the soccer ball around, let's read a book together, etc....) HTH

Offline teresamac

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Constantly asking to eat food
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 20:23:36 pm »
We joke about him being a chef because he does love the pots and pans and the spoons.  Anyway, we do have a routine in place and we do lots of activities, but I do think that sometimes he does it out of boredom.  I also have a 9 month old so I am not always able to give him the immediate distraction. Distractions work momentarily, but within minutes he is asking again.