Author Topic: Nasty vile acidic evil bottom burning poos  (Read 1797 times)

tuta

Nasty vile acidic evil bottom burning poos
« on: July 05, 2007, 20:53:53 pm »
Hello ladies, please feel free to move if I am on the wrong board. My DS is nearly 9mo.  He is teething and his poos are horrible.  They are very very very watery and so acidic it is burning his bottom raw.  I am washing/rinsing his bottom rather than wiping every nappy change and applying petrolium jelly, sudocream or olive oil.  The redness makes my eyes water and he is sooooooooooooooo upset  :'(

Please help, is there anything I can give him to eat or drink that will reduce the acidity of his poo until this teething abates?  I only give him water to drink and his main liquid is breast milk.

TIA

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Nasty vile acidic evil bottom burning poos
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 20:58:41 pm »
Hiya Tuta xxx

If I were you I would give him Ashton and Parsons Teething Powders.. they help to neutralise the acidic tummy and helps the teething..

Hugs xxxxxxxxx

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 21:05:53 pm »
Sorry Tuta!!!  Your poor DS!!

I think there are these pills you can crush up and put in their bottles etc.  It is called Acidopholus.  Same stuff as in yogurt.  It helps their digestive system.  Is he eating yogurt yet?  You could give him some of that too.

HTH!!!
Judy

tuta

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:28:29 am »
Hi ladies, thanks for the replys, Stacy and TDR'smom DS is eating yoghurt (both childrens and organic greek-style) and I will definately put acidophilus in it (I bought the capsules for myself).  Can I give him those capsules or are there any specifically made for children?

Quote (selected)
Ashton and Parsons Teething Powders
Ennypen can you get these in Boots the Chemist or are they health food things?

TIA

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:47:07 am »
You can get them in Boots - they are in a little white box next to all the teething gels and things.

H x

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 12:07:21 pm »
Quote (selected)
Hi ladies, thanks for the replys, Stacy and TDR'smom DS is eating yoghurt (both childrens and organic greek-style) and I will definately put acidophilus in it (I bought the capsules for myself).  Can I give him those capsules or are there any specifically made for children?

Here in the US, the pharmacist said we could give DS the adult ones.  We had to crush them and put him in his drinks or food.  It helped though.  Stacy is right though, for children/babies it is better to get the liquid stuff.  I have never seen it here.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Judy

tuta

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:01 pm »
Thanks for the help ladies  ;D

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 12:54:09 pm »
Hi Tuta
Ashton & Parsons powders are great like Helen said

I use Bepanthen cream for Sophie's bum rather then Sudocrem- it's absorbent, rather than a barrier, and contains vitamin E so helps the skin to heal. I find it's great at helping soothe her bum and help it to heal quickly. We too get the burning poos when teething! You can get it from Boots with the other baby creams
xx
]

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 13:21:04 pm »
Hi Tuta, hugs to your poor lo and his bottom  :(   We use weleda nappy cream here, it is available in most health food shops and I would never use any other now. I was a Sudocrem woman for my DS but it just didnt cut it with DD.

Also a good tip I got on here was a home made bum wash. I never made the whole thing but The bit I liked was to steep 2 cammomile and honey tea bags until the water was cool and then use that to wash their bums instead of plain water. If I remember rightly the cammomile is soothing and the honey is healing.

I will try to find the actual "recipe" . If nit it was from a good friend of mine I will just ask her to post it for you

x x x x
Lee Ann,

tuta

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:38:23 am »
Thanks for the tips KathrynK - I will definately use that cream - I find the others reduce the efficieny of the nappies, LeeAnn great idea thanks  8)

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:51:01 am »
Hi Tuta,

What I have found that works well is water mixed with bicarbonate of soda to wipe the bottie with. I use cotton wool balls. Also, I use the camillosan nipple ointment on Henry's bottom when it is red and within 24 hours it is all gone. I might even at night put the camillosan on first and then a zinc and castor based barrier cream over that.

I have never had the Bepanthen cream, but have heard it works very well. I just had loads of camillosan left after I stopped breast feeding. I am still on the first tube and we use it often, as when it just lookslike H's bottie may be pink, I lather it on.

Just bear in mind that if the rash has been there a while - and even sometimes only for a short while  ;) - they may have an added infection with thrush, which makes the acidophillus/probiotic a great idea. I sometimes make my own mixture of canesten cream mixed with the zinc and castor barrier cream - did that probably 3 months ago. Worked like a charm as well. Of course, nappy free time is great too, but Henry has a wonderful way of weeing everywhere, and as we only have carpets, I do not do it often enough. The wet skin is a breeding ground for thrush, so having the nappy area open lets it 'breath'.

HTH
DI

tuta

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 20:52:53 pm »
Hi DI, thanks for the info - nipple cream I never thought of that  ;D thanks - I don't think it is infected, I don't let him sit for very long in the poo but like you we have carpets and Ds is a little one for weeing everywhere  ::) but infected or not it isn't nice and I want to keep any discomfort to a minimum.  Thanks ladies - maybe the moderator(s) would like to make this info into a permanent post for future reference.