Author Topic: His short naps are even shorter! I need some help!  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Superman'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
His short naps are even shorter! I need some help!
« on: March 14, 2006, 00:22:31 am »
I can't figure this child out. Aiden is 8 months old and he can put himself to sleep. He just doens't stay that way. His naps are horrible, they have gone down to 30 minutes and I can't fix it. He has always had 45 minute naps. Since he was 4 months old....I tried wake to sleep and pu/pd his whole 4th and 5th  month. He would go back down maybe 2x a week. He was pretty consistent until a month ago. He used to wake at 8-8:30 take a nap at 10:30 and 1:45 and go to bed at 6:45. This was wokring fine, e would get cranky at night (where his catnap used to be) but a walk or quiet time would fix that. Then he started teething, 4 teeth in a month and 3 at the same time. He didn't sleep or eat much at all. He also started crawling and have a lot going on developmental. Well I got him to go to sleep at night, although he is having a lot of night wakings because he is overtired and hungry for not eating all day. He won't eat during the day because he is tired and he wakes up tired from waking up 2x to eat and tossing and turning all night. So he will take a nap in the morning 2-3 hours after wake up. He was waking at 6:30 but today he got up at 7. So the first nap will be 30 minutes and I have been trying to get him back down for a few weeks but he has never so I stopped trying. I have extended his A time and it makes no diffrence. After his first nap his goes down 2.5-3 but he sleeps 30 minutes if I am lucky. Today it was 15 and it has been 20 a lot too. Here is our currenct schedule:

Wake at 6:30-7 (still tired)
nap at 9-9:30 for 30 minutes
nap at 1 for hopefully 30 minutes
sleep at 6:30 or earlier

He wakes up 45 minutes after I put him down so I know he is overtired. He takes atleast 20 minutes to get down and usually 45. He is tired pretty much all the time. It is affecting his eatting and everything else. I did put him to bed at 5:30 so to get him caught up on his sleep but by the end of the day he was just as tired. I don't know what to do. I just want him to be managable again. I love my son so don't take that the wrong way. He is just a really hard baby. If I left anything out I am sorry. Thank you.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: His short naps are even shorter! I need some help!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 01:41:08 am »
Chelsea - it really sounds like something is bothering him physically - in addition to the teething. As you probably know, teething REALLY aggravates reflux. So that could be something. And/or could he be having a food intolerance? Any new solids? What formula is he on or is he breastfed? Really sounds like a food intolerance and/or reflux issue...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 01:48:32 am »
Chels, you need to take him back to the doctor and don't let them poo-poo you by telling you "You're just a new mother that doesn't know how to deal with teething."  This has gone on long enough.  You need some help!

Hugs, babe!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 02:11:19 am »
I just don't know what could be wrong. He is so inconsistent...like tonight....it did take him a while to fall asleep but he is actually asleep still. He is BF and he hasn't really had any new solids in a while. I could cut everything out and start over with fruits and veggies maybe.....I never thought of that. I thought with a food intolerance he would have diarrhea or some kind of visual reaction. I have been giving him so Maelox (?) and it doesn't make a difference.

It would really break my heart to know that he has been in pain or something. I would have known....he doesn't have any symptoms of his reflux. His current troubles started with the teething.

I just don't know what I would say to the doctor....he has always had sleep problems, never been a good sleeper. Everytime i ask them they say just let him CIO. In other words if I think something is wrong I need to have an idea of what I think it is or they just blow it off. And no I can't change doctors, they are the only ones that take our insurance.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 23:23:51 pm »
Oh Chelsea, I have been wondering how things were going lately with you. I agree that maybe it is time to see the doctor. I'm sure things went off track with all the teething and new skills he's learned, but this sounds excessive. Doctors seem to love that CIO answer to whatever the problem is, but the point here is that this is beyond normal and it's important to rule out a physical cause, pain, food allergy, intolerance, whatever. We're all here for you!!  :-*
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 23:56:49 pm »
Oh Chelsea, I have been wondering how things were going lately with you. I agree that maybe it is time to see the doctor. I'm sure things went off track with all the teething and new skills he's learned, but this sounds excessive. Doctors seem to love that CIO answer to whatever the problem is, but the point here is that this is beyond normal and it's important to rule out a physical cause, pain, food allergy, intolerance, whatever. We're all here for you!!  :-*

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!  INSIST that there has to be another treatment besides CIO.  You are his mommy and YOU know him best.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 01:06:30 am »
Thanks guys! I just don't know what I am going to say to them. Today I stuffed him full of food and thank god he ate so well! He went down so easy for all his naps and okay at bedtime. He was super cranky after his last nap...I couldn't put him down. He took two 30 minute naps again....I  don't know why....his first one he woke up happy abd then the second one he was upset and a cranky butt until he went to sleep at 6. I am just tired of him always being tired and cranky and never being able to do anything with him. I guess I will just make an appointment but I seriously don't know what is wrong...he has always been like this. Thanks for the advice....I guess I need to vent too. I just keep trying everything to help him but it never seems to get better.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:10:02 am »
Glad to hear that he ate well and went down well, but I still have to wonder about the naps. Even if you go to the doc and they find nothing, at least you'll know for sure.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 03:20:41 am »
gee chelsea, have been wondering how you are going, something tell me that stacy may be right, forget the naps, get the night sleep working and work on naps a little later on, your ds does seem to have a long night sleep 6.30 or earlier till 8-8.30, how long would you say he is awake during this time? you wouldn't be tempted to wake him at 7 in the morning and start your day from here (i almost would be), this is a hard thing to do when you are so tired, and then sticking to a strict routine, i real feel for you as this has been going on for so long, i wish i could come and give you a hand, maybe you should go and have a long talk to your doctor just to rule out any problems,

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:21:03 pm »
Oh he wakes up at 7 now. He wakes up at 6:30 when I put him to bed earlier than 6:30 ( which is most nights) and 7 if it is normal time. I just makes for a longer day for me because his naps aren't any better. And he is on less sleep. So by the end of his second nap he is a total grump. It really sucks....I could try to extend that one I guess....I really don't think PU/PD is going to do it so I guess I could try WTS but when would I wake him? 20 minutes?

Oh he still woke up at 3 and eat like he was starving so maybe a growth spurt?

Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 16:13:10 pm »
Hi Chelsea,

I too had been wondering how you were. I see it hasn't got any better :( :'( I don't know what to suggest. Maybe try getting him to have more than two naps. I know it seems that you'd be going backwards but maybe he would get more sleep and things could start turning a corner, you never know :) I wish I could come and take over for a bit for you, I really do. Shame I live so far away!

I'm glad he did a bit better when you stuffed him full. What sort of food are you giving him? How many teeth does he have? Odd questions I know but could he be ready for finger type food?

Just an aside I was looking at the photo gallery and saw you, it was nice to put a face to you and my dh said you were a hottie ;D Always good to know :) We have finally got over our chickenpox, just a few scars :(

Faye :-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 14:56:32 pm »
Well I don't have long, I already hear Aiden playing in his bed. But I wanted to say thanks for you advice. I don't know what to do still. I tried WTS and it woke him up....yesterday was a day from %$#^%$ so I am scard to try that again. Crap I gotta go he is crying, I will write more later!

Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 18:21:16 pm »
Faye tell your husband he made my week! I am pretty frumpy though! He is too sweet really...

Well Aiden is up from a 20 minute nap I could throw myself out the window really! I tried wake to sleep but he just woke up again...5 minutes after I left the room. I don't know...I guess I have to do PU/PD again. I really can't do it anymore, this is unbelieveable.

His eating is okay...better.... I mainly need to cut out his night feedings but I know I will need him to take a good nap after a night of that! Last time I cut them he was up 2 hours early everyday so that will have to wait until his naps are better...whenver that may be

I gotta go, Stacy I got your pm, I will get back to you later when I can
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Sylvia.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 22:34:16 pm »
chelsea, have you tried this, when ds is asleep for a nap have you stood by his cot the whole time and as soon as he stirs a bit start the shh/pat then, do this for his whole nap time and for a number of days afterwards, later if you can predict his stirs time then go there a few minutes before hand and shh/pat again, i did this, i used a timer to the second, sounds a bit over the top but it worked for us, you said you did wake to sleep and he woke 5 minutes later, when i was sleep training dd always woke 5 minutes after i resettled her, it wasn't until i stood by her bed and continue with the shh/pat that i was finally able to get her to sleep longer, and i must add that she woke many time in a row of 5 minutes, sorry i just can't remember what you have said about shh/pat in the past, also do your own type of shh/pat, it might be gentle talking and rubbing of the face, what ever, i really do hope that you have a better day today

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 23:03:02 pm »
Chelsea, I've been thinking of you. I'm really sorry it's not got any better. The staying through a nap sounds good. I may try that as we are back to bad sleeping again! I thought we'd had a break through but we've gone back again. At least we can battle this together :)

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline Sylvia.

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 02:17:01 am »
and you to of course faye

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 20:04:02 pm »
How is it going Faye? Hope it was just a little regression!

I actually started with the standing by him bed because when he was younger this would work about 50% of the time. But now he sees me and thinks it is play time!

I am thinking about trying to just drop another nap. I know it sounds dumb but that is the only thing left I can do! Today was another hour long pat/shh and Dp is in there again iwth him because after I gave up and brought him out he was so tired he couldn't function. He is waking up 4 times a night now.....everything is getting worse.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2006, 18:14:58 pm »
Hi Chelsea,

Hows it going? I've been on holiday for a week (I really missed bw :P) and Shays sleeping was really bad I did think of you at 2 in the morning!. But we came home last night and he slept through ;D He's got over his chickenpox thankfully and doesn't seem to be teething right now but I'm sure I've just jinxed that, I'll make the most of it while it lasts.

I am so sorry to hear it is getting worse, and dropping a nap doesn't sound dumb you get to a point you have to try anything! Have you started and if so hows it going? And he is such a cuty ;D Have you tried the doctors again? You never know, if you go enough they may just take you seriously!

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 18:57:30 pm »
Hey Faye!!!!! I was wondering where you got to! I actually did drop to one nap...and it is working. He takes one two hour nap and that works! So great! I am glad I tried it. His nightwakings are kinda better....but not really. He goes back to sleep for Daddy but not me! Guess I will be posting on the PU/PD board!

So glad the chicken pox are gone! Did you get any pictures? I know the poor thing was misreble but I wouldlove to see his poor spotted self! His naps are better then?
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 19:10:35 pm »
Oh Chelsea you don't know how pleased I am for you. At least you've managed to crack one thing. Is he any happier with it and not so tired? I hope you get the nightwakings sorted I know what a pain they are. The only thing that worked for us is pat/shhh or just sitting near and shhhing but it did take a while and I found it really tough, wish I could be more positive! The thing to remember is you've got through this one so you'll get through other things too. The only other thing is if Aiden goes to sleep for Daddy just kick him out at night ;D :P

We did get some pics of Shay all spotty but I'll have to get dh to show me how to post them, I don't know how! His sleeping is not to bad, I've taken to staying in his room for the start of his naps as Russyl suggested and its really worked well. But he has taken to waking at 5ish in the morning and the only way he will go back to sleep is if he comes in our bed but I really don't want to start that again. I think it's because when I was on holiday all routine went out the window and now it's come back to haunt me, oh well we will get through it eventually, I just can't believe I'm thinking of the next, I must be crazy :o

Let me know how you get on through the nights I'll keep an eye out for your posts

Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy