Author Topic: Spirited 9 Month Old Sitting & Standing in Crib  (Read 1556 times)

Offline OregonGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Spirited 9 Month Old Sitting & Standing in Crib
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:39:37 am »
Our daughter has been an independent sleeper (at long last!) for the past 1.5 months and STTN. She has recently has learned to crawl, sit up, and even took her first steps. She is also currently teething and has a cold (so much going on at once!) Last night, she kept sitting up when I put her down to sleep, even though she was drowsy, yawning, rubbing her eyes and settled, she would pop up. Each time I would lay her back down and then she would sit up again. Then, she woke up at 3 am and did it all over again.  When I tried to leave the room if she was settled, she would start crying hysterically. I am assuming this is a combination of separation anxiety and developmental milestones. PU/PD has never been successful with her in the past and just makes her more angry. We have done a modified version of sshhh/pat without the patting and it has worked well in the past, but currently she cries any time my hand is moved off of her and she wakes up, so I think that it may become a prop if I carry on with it. Could anyone give advice about how to help her? Would walk-in/walk-out be a good solution? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Spirited 9 Month Old Sitting & Standing in Crib
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:30:12 am »
With that much going on, I'd stick with your variation on shush/pat and give her the extra TLC she needs. You can gradually withdraw that pretty easily once she's back on an even keel. You could try WIWO - here's some info: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=167333.0

Here's some info on SA: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=212037.0

Last night, she kept sitting up when I put her down to sleep, even though she was drowsy, yawning, rubbing her eyes and settled, she would pop up. Each time I would lay her back down and then she would sit up again.
This will quickly become a game if you put her down every time she sits up! I'd stick with PD principles for that and only PD if upset, otherwise leave her to sit (stay in the room if you have to with the SA).

http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index.php/about-the-wonder-weeks/your-babys-10-leaps/mental-leap-7
This could be it too, the wonder weeks can really mess with sleep - LO's brain is going an extra million miles an hour and they just struggle to relax and sleep.

Offline emzi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My Beautiful Baby Girl Ruby Roo x x
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:04:18 am »
I couldnt agree more with becj86  We had eactly the same problems with Ruby (also a spirited child). Night after night Ruby would stand up in the cot, I would lay her down and she would pop straight back up again. PU/PD would make her more angry, she used to physically go rigid as soon as I approached the cot to put her back in. We started the WI/WO and believe me, it did get worse before it got better. As a spirited child it took hours the first couple of nights to get Ruby settled. I cried, she cried and I thought what am I doing? However, within 3 days Ruby reduces to 10 minutes crying then 5 minutes crying before sleep. Now we simply lay her in her cot, she rolls over and goes to sleep for the night. Happy baby, happy mummy, happy daddy!!
The only downfall we found is that you sometimes have to re-introduce the methods after a holiday/illness/ over tiredness etc but took a relatively small amount of time.
Best thing we have ever done!!

Offline OregonGirl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 13:27:51 pm »
Thanks so much for your advice ladies, I felt really discouraged when she woke up in the middle of the night. 
This will quickly become a game if you put her down every time she sits up! I'd stick with PD principles for that and only PD if upset, otherwise leave her to sit (stay in the room if you have to with the SA).
I think she definitely thought it was a game last night because I PD every time she sat up. So, I should only PD if she is upset?  Often if she is having trouble settling, I will stay in with her until she is drifting off to sleep or in a light sleep, but I wasn't sure last night since she just kept sitting up and staring at me. She was so tired... hopefully tonight she will be able to settle. At least we have had some good naps today to help her catch up.

PU/PD would make her more angry, she used to physically go rigid as soon as I approached the cot to put her back in
That's what our little miss has done anytime we tired PU/PD. I'm glad to hear that WI/WO worked for you guys. Will let you know how we get on in the next few days.

Offline speechie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 13:33:35 pm »
Just a little note from one who has btdt- if she's been sick, have someone check her ears for you if it continues, my spirited guy had similar things with a hidden ear infection after illness!
Good luck!
WI/WO, and gradual withdrawal from the room worked with my guy, he didn't take to PU/PD well at all, just made him mad!
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline OregonGirl

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 19:13:14 pm »
Just a little note from one who has btdt- if she's been sick, have someone check her ears for you if it continues, my spirited guy had similar things with a hidden ear infection after illness!
That is a good idea, she is definitely showing cold symptoms and it could progress so I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for the encouragement too.

Tonight went a bit better. She didn't have much trouble settling initially, but then she did sit up a few times and start crying. I went in to settle her and she immediately would lie down and settle again and I would be able to leave.  She seems to be really active right now in her light sleep (not a big surprise with all the leaps she has made) but I think its waking her a bit at the moment and startling her. Tonight she managed to scrunch herself into a corner and bump her head, poor little one! A few times when she cried out she seemed to be crying in her sleep, maybe dreaming? Thanks so much for all your help, I feel like we are at least off to the right start. I am really hoping that she doesn't wake up in the middle of the night again tonight, fingers crossed!