Author Topic: keeps taking paci out when falling asleep then wants it back  (Read 1023 times)

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
keeps taking paci out when falling asleep then wants it back
« on: December 27, 2005, 14:29:00 pm »
what do I do when she keeps taking her pacifier out when falling asleep, but then wants it back after she takes it out? I am really trying to have her put herself to sleep in her crib and this is keeping her from falling asleep. then she is putting herself into the overtired state. so frustrating. do I just leave her and let her figure it out? she is not crying just fussy at times. I cannot stand there and keep giving her back her pacifier for 1/2 hour she has to lear without me. I rock her until drowsy and then put her down. what do I do?

Offline LisbonMom

• Ah ... where would I be without my BW community?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 94
  • Mom, doula, writer and babywhisperer
    • Doula in Lisbon, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 18:22:08 pm »
If all shedoes isfuss and doesn't cry, why do you giver her a paci in the first place? Why not try and leave her alone without it, and wait to see if she really needs it?

Sara
Sara

Come over to the Dark Side, we have popcorn.

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 18:22:37 pm »
Hi there - how old is your little one? If she is a tiny baby, and has a strong need to suck then perhaps experimenting with different shaped dummies (cherry tipped) trhat she can keep in until she is ready to spit it out. If she is older and the paci is becoming a prop disturbing her sleep, then I would recommend getting rid of it - you can do this by going cold turkey and using pat/shush or PU/PD (depending on her age) or by using the gradual weaning process - there is a great sticky on the props forum on how to do this!

Hope that helps
Dee
x

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 15:07:15 pm »
she is 7 months and I know she does not need it to gall asleep it just helps her fall asleep faster. I will try and take it away from her and see how she does. thanks