Author Topic: Long sleep stretch before we go to bed!  (Read 1150 times)

Offline jilltsc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Long sleep stretch before we go to bed!
« on: January 18, 2007, 20:01:56 pm »
Our 4.5 month old daughter has started to sleep for 4 consecutive hours (finally!) BUT they are only from the time we put her down until around 11 (basically when we go to sleep)! Then she wakes up every 2-3 hours after that.. can't tell if she's hungry- so I just end up nursing her to make sure. We've just started the 4 hour easy to see if that will help her get used to eating and hopefully waking every 4 hours instead of 2 1/2-3 at night. She sleeps in her own crib (in own room) and we have just started putting her down awake about 5 days ago with the pat/sush and pu/pd methods. Any suggestions on how to stretch out the after midnight wakings?! After I nurse her, I've been making sure she's still somewhat awake before putting her in crib.. when should I expect to see results from the putting her in her crib awake method? Thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Long sleep stretch before we go to bed!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 00:53:04 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW  :)  My advice to you is to STOP feeding her so often at night. She will need one feed for sure, but definitely not every 2-3 hours!  :o  It's important that you get to know her cries so it's easier for you to tell if she's hungry or what. A hunger cry for example usually has a coughlike, dry quality to it. Listen carefully and you'll get the hang of it.

But really, if you stop those constant night feeds and resettle her instead you'll see much improvement I think! Being on 4 hour EASY will help a lot too.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 13:36:34 pm »
I agree. What is your current routine at the moment?
Kimberly

Offline jilltsc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 00:23:58 am »
Yeah- I know we need to cut out those frequent feedings, we've actually been putting her back to sleep if it hasn't been 3 hours (even though we know she could probably go longer- just trying to ease her into it all).. here is our routine:

Wake- anywhere between 6-7am
E- nurse at 7 (or 3-4 hours after last feeding)
A
S- 9 ish (usually sleeps 45 mins-1.5)

E- 11
A
S- 12/1 (depending on how long nap was)

E-3
A
S- 330/4 - (Only sleeps 45 mins)

A- 6- bath, massage, dress
E- 630
S- 7/730 bedtime

As you can see, our schedule varies depending on how much sleep she got at night and when she wakes up.. it's very hard to keep a strict schedule with her also because of her nap lengths. Any thoughts on our schedule? Do you think we should start introducing rice cereal or something in the morning and at night? Does that help her sleep longer? I've heard both ways on that issue.
Thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 00:44:45 am »
No, definitely do not try cereal. It's really a myth that it helps them sleep longer. It usually makes things worse because their little systems aren't used to it and can't digest it. So, you get gas, tummy upset and cramps which equals a lot of badness.

My other suggestion is to stop varying his routine every day depending on naps. Consistency is very important, and if you give him the leeway he'll take it and then some. If you're consistent she'll get the idea of how things will be.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o