Author Topic: 6 month old with NW  (Read 1011 times)

Offline jomige

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
6 month old with NW
« on: January 23, 2007, 20:21:05 pm »
My 6 month old DD was a great sleeper up until a month ago.  From the week she came home from the hospital she did a 10p-4/5a stretch of sleep.  At 7 weeks we started EASY to improve her daytime sleep.  At about 11 weeks she had a lot of NW and she moved herself to a 4 hour EASY on her own and that improved those awakenings.  With growth spurt she would always add in the 1-2am feed in addition to her 4/5am feed.  She has never slept through.

The past month has been very rough.  She started waking more at night, hungry.  So at almost 6 months we started solids.   To make a long story short we found out the hard way that she cannot tolerate rice cereal.  She does great on all other foods (so far) and oatmeal. 
Since about midDecember she has been waking up early for her dreamfeed anywhere between 8pm and 10pm (we used to do it around 10:30).  I thought that this may be more evidence that solids were needed.  She also had a period where she was extending her A time and dropping the catnap which was rough but straightend out now.  We do a catnap only if poor naps during the day and needs it to get through to bedtime. 

I got into the habit of feeding her during when she woke up early for her DF but used PU/PD.  It took 10 minutes the first night and after a few nights she didn't wake.  Occassionally she will now, but I can usually get her back to sleep.  If I can't then she is up until 10:15 when I feed her.  She then got a cold and her sleep was disrputed by a stuffy nose, but we did not need to feed her for those awakenings.  We ended up bringing her in our bed a few nights because she was so uncomfortable laying down, I slept with her on my chest (but we never started the night like that...it was only early mornings).  Her cold is gone now.

So that is some brief history.  For the past few nights, she is getting up many many times and we cannot settle her back to sleep.  Last night she got up at 10pm (around df time--which we were trying to phase out) and I did a "DF", 11:30-1p (I held off feeding her until after 1pm--though she didn't seem hungry before then)--wide awake and wanting only to be held.  Then from 4-5 (I fed her aroudn 4:30 and at 5 she needed to be changed--she had wet through her outfit).  Sadly this was a GOOD night for us lately. 

I have never fed to sleep (except for the df--which she always slept through and night feeds she would be drowsy/ but stir when I put her down). She takes great naps (always varying in length) but goes down easy and wakes up happy.

How old is your child? 6.5 months

What’s his/her daily routine? (Occasionally we start our day at 7am but it looks very similar to this)
E 6:30 BF, solids at 7:30
S 9:15 or 9:30 (1-1.5 hours)
E 10:45 ish, solids at 11:30
S 1:45(1-1.5 hours)
E 3:15 pm ish, solids at 4pm
E 6:15
S 6:30

What’s nap routine? Winddown activity (less stimulating as near nap), go in room, pull shade down, turn on fan, say good night, place in crib, give paci, falls right asleep (usually looses paci at same time--no dependent on it---she had given it up mostly until her recent cold).

How long are naps? sometimes 45 minutes, but with new 3 hour A time, usually 1.5 hours

What's bedtime routine? Time?  Bath, feeds and books, snuggle, put to bed drowsy but awake, give her lovie, give paci if she calls out for it (not every night)

Do you bottle or breastfed?? BF

How much? or how long? 15 minutes total

If breastfed.. one side or both?? both

How many wakes per night? 3-6

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  Fusses at first and then escalates to hysterics, takes about 15-20 minutes to get her to calm down but stays up longer after that, up for 1-2 hours

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  We wait until crying.  Don't think it is a mantra (she goes right to hysterical from fussing, never has mantra cried herself to sleep or woken doing that..so am not sure what "her" mantra sounds like). Her cry is always a "I need you RIGHT NOW" type cry that goes right through you.

What have you tried to settle?? Pacifier, pain relief (in case of teething), last night tried PU/PD because it worked for her wakenings before DF (only took 10 minutes and 3 nights), last night got so mad with PU/PD and never settled in between putting her down.  If she does settle she wants to play and starts laughing.  Tried putting her down to let her play by herself...she gets hysterical again

What do you do for A time and how long is it? 2.45-3 hours.  Play on floor, tummy time, music class, sing songs, exersaucer, bouncy set (not bouncing--she hates that)

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Doesn't seem to be teething...Tylenol and the topical gum relief do nothing to help.  Have also tried Hylands Teething tables...no help there.  She is trying to crawl but we give her tons of time each day to practice.  Started sitting on her own...again lots of practice during the day.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) yes, oatmeal, fruits and veggies 2-3 times per day. 1tbsp of oatmeal, 1-2 food cubes (I think it is 2 tbsp) of homemade food per feed.  Occassionally more if she wants it.

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Pacifier maybe????  She doesn't always use it and drops it after she falls asleep (and doesnt need it back)

Do they have a lovie? Yes, a veyr small blanket (washcloth sized) with an alligator head on one corner.  She occasionally will suck on it if she doesn't have her pacifier (which is fine because she can find it on her own in the crib and can put it back in, unlike the pacifier)

Any advice would be great.  I am exhausted.  My husband is exhausted and our jobs are suffering because of it. 

My main concern is whether she is hungry.  That is the only reason she has ever woken up at night (besides her cold and the bout with rice cereal we had)  She goes 4 hours during the day (and would probably go longer some times), but seems to want to eat every 2 hours during the night.  I have tried to increase her daytime fluid intake (she gets EBM when I work but the msot she will take is 5.5-6 ounces per feed).   I am nervous she has mixed up her day and night feeds. 

Do you think PU/PD would be appropriate for her?  We are at a loss.

Thank you for all your help.

Jodi

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline willowonyx

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Isabella
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 21:03:14 pm »
Wow, I am so sorry for what you are going through, as we have gone through that on/off throughout our DD 6.5 months.

I would first off say that it may be a growth spurt, although it has been going on for a month, it could be a growth spurt now.

Second, I am wondering if she got used to sleeping on you, that now she craves it.

Third, are there any possibilities of gas or constipation?

When you total up liquids and solids, what are the totals of each per day?

Offline jomige

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 6 month old with NW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 22:38:02 pm »
I was thinking it may be a growth spurt as well.  I am just nervous about starting a bad habit.  I had also thought that maybe she was used to sleeping on me....I am not sure if I should use PU/PD to stop that, treat it like a growth spurt and then do PU/PD, or maybe feed her more frequently during the dday.  I thought I had read to give more solids during the 6 month growth spurt to try to decrease NWs rather than feeding during the night.  Any advice on that is more than welcome.

Total foodwise is hard.  She is BF so I am not sure how much she gets but she gets 4 BF during the day and 2-3 at night.  Her solid intake is about 3-5 tbsp of oatmeal/day and 4-6 tbsp of fruits or veggies.  If I am at work she BF before I leave, then takes 2 6 ounce bottles and her normal solids.  I bf her immediately when I get home and then a quick top off before bed.  I have tried to get her to take more but she won't.  She is on the smaller side too at only 15.5 lbs at her 6 month visit.  I have done a yield and I get 5-6 ounces (depending on the time of day) so she is likely getting a bit more than that.

She has always been gassy, but happy gassy.  We do give her gas drops if she seems to be uncomfortable due to gas and that has always helped almost instantly (and we have tried that these past few weeks with no luck).  She poops every day to every third day(and has since she was about 2 months old).  She only had one period of constipation where she was uncomfortable but it was very evident why since she kept trying to bear down and poop.  She isn't doing that and has been pooping easily.

Thank you for your quick response.

Jodi

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 23:53:19 pm »
Jodi, I have similar thoughts to willowonyx. LOs get a HUGE growth spurt around 6 mo, so that could be happening now.  You might offer another BF around 5pm to create sort of a cluster feed situation, which might help. I think your routine looks good so I wouldn't make any other adjustments there. But also like willowonyx said, I suspect that the sleeping on you became a habit. It's amazing how fast they can develop habits sometimes.  :-\   If that is indeed what happened, PU/PD will be a good tool since it worked so well for you before.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline jomige

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 23:56:46 pm »
Thanks,
Got this too late in the day (I am in US, Massachusetts) to add an extra feed in...she is in bed already.  So I may do an extra feed tonight and then cluster feed tomorrow night.  I will try that and PU/PD if it isn't hunger related.

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks,
Jodi

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 00:27:26 am »
Ok keep us posted!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline willowonyx

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Isabella
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 14:00:56 pm »
I agree, your schedule looks good, and I think she is getting plenty of food during the day.  I truly don't think it is hunger related wakings at night.  I think you became a prop, and also, the night feeding became a prop as well.  I would definitely try to stay on your routine, try a cluser feed at night before bed, do your dreamfeed (can't remember if you are or not) and then use PU/PD for the night wakings.  It may take a while for the PU/PD to work but it should.  You can also try to wake-2-sleep method.  But defintiely start with the PU/PD.

Her weight is fine.  My DD was 15.5 pounds as well at her 6-month.