Author Topic: 6 months and still won't sleep through the night  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Babyk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • 1st time Mommy to a beautiful, spirited baby girl
Re: 6 months and still won't sleep through the night
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 21:19:30 pm »
Thanks, ladies!  :)

Wasn't very successful with patting her to get her to settle when she woke from her afternoon nap today, but I think her tummy was aching as she did release a lot of gas within the same hour.

I too have her crib at my bedside, but it's not one where I can easily reach in and pat her or snuggle her. That would be great! Although, when I put her in bed with me and try to snuggle her she just roots and tries to nurse until I Give in. Likely out of routine because of AP on my part. That will be a tough habit to break. Tbh, it will be hard not just because of her, but because of tiredness on my part. It's so easy to lay there and let her eat while I drift back off to sleep and once she's done she just passes out. It's going to require a lot more of me getting up and helping her settle which makes me tired just thinking of it considering how many time she wakes through the night and it took nearly an hour the one time i stayed committed to it last night *insert massive yawn here*  I hope it won't take months to try to break this habit I've allowed her to form. Shame on mommy

Liz, likely right about the night nursing not helping her reflux either... Likely a reason why she continues to wake. Looks like the things I was doing to try to help her and I only really made it worse... Live and learn I guess :-[

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:59 am »
(((Hugs)))... it won't take months to break. Usually a few rough nights and then some good progress. Maybe a step back or two, but really if you're consistent over a week or two, you should have it down. That is, provided she's not in reflux discomfort.

Offline Babyk

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 14:13:42 pm »
Going to see her paediatrician this morning to get her back on her reflux meds. So hopefully we won't have any reflux discomfort and can make some solid progress on patting to sleep and getting her to stay sleeping in her crib.

She hasn't pooped at all yesterday (lots of wind though) and I can tell that's bothering her little tummy.  :(
Trying to cycle, massage, warm bath, pear juice etc. guess I just have to wait it out. Not sure what's got her stuck with this, but hope it will pass for her soon.

Offline katie80

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 15:21:42 pm »
Any new foods in the last few days?

Offline Babyk

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 17:42:13 pm »
I did give her a pear, banana and kiwi purée combo she's never had before. Just a few baby spoons of it though, but maybe that was enough to have an impact on her.

Thankfully she was able to have a BM before we left for the dr. Pretty dark green, but whenever I mention her green or mucousy (before) poos to her paed he always seemed to shrug them off as normal. But this was even before she was on solids and EBF which I was told should be mustard and seedy.

I have to mention, your boys are absolutely adorable btw, Katie!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 20:34:01 pm »
Yup, EBF poo here was pretty yellow.  Green and mucousy would have me talking to another paed  :-\
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline katie80

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 20:51:36 pm »
^^^ I agree... green EBF poo can mean she's digesting quite quickly, which is likely a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but anything mucousy isn't normal. :-\

I have to mention, your boys are absolutely adorable btw, Katie!
Thank you... I've thought the same about your DD! :D

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 21:18:12 pm »
Sounds like we have the same baby today (except mine hasn't had any kiwi - he's only 10 weeks - it's a common allergen btw....) - lots of farting and squirming and fussing.

Let us know what the paed says  :-* :-*.

My DD was like this as well - mainly bottom end wind rather than top end - she was sensitive to gluten - that was the main culprit.

Offline Babyk

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 01:07:24 am »
Thanks, Katie  :)

Would a fore milk/hind milk imbalance cause her to be more gassy?  My let down before was quite fast. Now I'm pretty sure it's slowed down, but once the let down starts I believe it comes out quite quickly.

Weaver, I have thought about taking her to see a new paed. I called another office and they said because she's not a newborn they would need a referral from her current dr. Tbh, I'm afraid to ask her dr for a referral to see someone else. I know, sounds silly...  :-[

Her paed have her reflux meds again. 1.3ml twice a day. Hoping this will help her sleeping discomfort, but don't think it will do much for her during the day.

Liz, how did you find out your LO was sensitive to gluten?

Offline katie80

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:05 am »
Would a fore milk/hind milk imbalance cause her to be more gassy?  My let down before was quite fast. Now I'm pretty sure it's slowed down, but once the let down starts I believe it comes out quite quickly.
Yes, definitely causes gassiness. I do think it usually evens out as they get older though. Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 03:45:50 am »
Yay! Congrats on the shh pat! I was against giving my lo mess for teething pain but my nurse/ close friend said that the amount of pain a gamer in infant med is to small it won't do any harm at all. She encouraged me to give Tylenol to help with the pain and she was much more happy. Turns out she cut 2 teeth within a week of each other before 6 months. However, if it's your choice to go natural as possible you could try some homeopathic remedies. I also have my lo cold cloths to chew on as well as the getting some mesh bags in which you can put a piece of frozen fruit in let them gnaw on that until they cut a tooth. I did this lots with my little one and she loved it. Hopefully she will cut a tooth soon if she is teething.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:16 am »
Is it ranitidine or a PPI eg omeprazole??

Just a pattern that emerged after I started solids - she was very windy etc after toast!!