Author Topic: Help with DF and night wakings please!!  (Read 996 times)

Offline sweetemma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with DF and night wakings please!!
« on: June 22, 2006, 17:50:52 pm »
HI, I just started and easy routine and I give my 7wk old a Df at around 10:45pm, but she still wakes at 12:00 or so to eat.  Also every 2-3 hours after that. She is breastfed, and I wonder if she gets enough. Does that seem like alot of wakings to all of you, and why so soon after her DF?  Thanks for any help you can give!

Offline courtneyandmiles

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Help with DF and night wakings please!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 18:19:23 pm »
HI, I just started and easy routine and I give my 7wk old a Df at around 10:45pm, but she still wakes at 12:00 or so to eat.  Also every 2-3 hours after that. She is breastfed, and I wonder if she gets enough. Does that seem like alot of wakings to all of you, and why so soon after her DF?  Thanks for any help you can give!

Congrats on your new baby!  I have a 9 mo. old textbook Dd, and I'll try to help.  Some questions:
-Do you have your baby on EASY? (Babywhisperer routine)  Regular feedings help Baby to go longer at night.  I think you're on a 3 hr. EASY for 7 wk. olds.

-Do you cluster feed?  That's feeding every two hours in the evening.  so for the day, feeds are:

-Does Baby use a paci?  If so, try that when Baby wakes up at night to make sure it's REALLY hunger and not a need to suck.  Pacis are good for 4 mos. or so, and the AAP recommends their use to help prevent SIDS for 6 mos. to a year.

-I definitely wouldn't blame bf for the frequent wakeups.  Tracy says even giving cereal won't help tide a baby over at night.

In summary, the most important aspect of good sleep is a good routine.  Also, doing cluster feeding w/ df (tanking up).  Feel free to write w/ more questions and updates.

-court

Offline sweetemma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 18:31:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, we are on the 3hr easy, and cluster feeding only sometimes works.  She will eat very little in those times.  I never wanted to use a pacifier, but tried when she was awake in the middle of the night and she hated it.  I will work on the cluster feedings in the evening and see if that helps.
Another question- if she is on a 3hr feeding routine, wouldn't it go into the night?  That's why she get's up every 3 hr's?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 18:38:38 pm by sweetemma »

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 18:47:52 pm »
The 3 hr routine doesn't go into the night, at least not the A part.  However, at a young age as your dd's, those feeding intervals in the night are not uncommon.  As the pp said, if she will accept a paci, that is a great way to rule out the need for comfort suckling vs. hunger.  Also, keep in mind that babies will stir during the night (they are not always peaceful sleepers) and will resettle on their own if given the chance.  You will know when she really needs you b/c she'll cry.
The only thing I could recommend would be to try the df a bit earlier.  Sometimes, if you go too late into the night sleep, it can disrupt the pattern of sleep, hence the waking 1.75 hrs later.  That's just a thought.
Once her tummy gets larger, she'll be able to spread out her feedings and then she won't require one in the night for many hours.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007