Author Topic: Need to change EASY with 11 month olds--where to start  (Read 833 times)

Offline Eminvc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need to change EASY with 11 month olds--where to start
« on: January 03, 2014, 14:10:07 pm »
First, let me say that I have not been as active on these forums as I'd like to be...I have 11-month-old twins and I just don't seem to have enough time in the day. Thank you in advance for any input.
I seem to be having issues with the E & S parts of EASY these days, starting with EW anywhere from 4:45-5:45. After that I don't consider it EW. Here is what our EASY is "supposed" to be, and I now realize I haven't adjusted it since they were about 4 months old, except for the addition of solids, which is probably where some issues are.
E 6-6:30 wake & bottle, 6 oz formula
A 6-9  /7:30-8 solids--cereal, yogurt or egg and fruit
S 8:30-9 nap. One twin usually sleeps an hour, the other rarely takes more than a 30-45 minute nap ever.
10/10:30 bottle #2, 6 oz
A 9:30/10-1:00;  11:30/12 solids--more finger foods than anything else, usually some veg, meat & cheese
S 1:00 nap #2. One twin goes about 1.5-2 hours this time, but again, the other guy rarely makes it past 45 minutes, maybe an hour.
E 2/2:30 bottle #3, 6 oz
A 2/2:30-6:30
4:00 snack, solids. teething wafer or some dry cereal
5:15 dinner, heavier foods, meat, veg, cereal
6:05 bath, bottle #4, 8 oz
6:30 both in bed

Here are my issues: as I said, they rarely sleep until 6:00. I'm thinking I would like to move their bedtime until 7:00-7:30 because I think they are just 11-hour sleepers, not 12. Am I wrong? I know keeping them up later doesn't mean they'll sleep later, but 7:00-7:30 still seems fairly early.
Issue #2--naps for my baby B--maybe once a week he has a good nap day where he goes an hour each time, but otherwise it's 30-45 minutes. Thinking maybe his naps need to be later? Again, though, EW is a frequent as in nearly-always problem, so by 8:30 most days they're rubbing eyes, etc.
Issue #3--can't figure out what their eating schedule should be at this point. I've looked at sample EASY but they all seem dependent on the babies sleeping longer than mine. I find E is causing issues with S--like if I move their morning nap later, they get hungry. I feel like maybe the morning nap should be 9:30 but they are used to a bottle at 10 or 10:30 and they seem to fuss and then just get into all-out hunger if I try to push the nap later. They do not do bottle & solids together--they will only take maybe 1-2 oz if I give bottle w/ solids.

Help!!! Don't know where to start.

sunny
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 14:36:29 pm by Eminvc »

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: Need to change EASY with 11 month olds--where to start
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 15:56:43 pm »
It seems time that those A times are quite low at the start of the day, which is likely to be causing your early WUs and also for one twin in particular some very UTnaps. Could you try pushing the first nap a bit later, perhaps moving it 15 mins later every three days or so. You can stop if you get a good long nap (say 1.5 hours or longer). Your afternoon nap will move later too and eventually you'll need to start cutting one nap shorter to maintain two naps for a bit before they drop one.

They may seem tired early but this is likely because they're not getting great naps generally. This is really an Ut/OT spiral and the way to get out of it is to extend A times.

You've got quite a long A time to BT, particularly for the twin who's taking shorter naps and you might find they can both cope better withBT and wake up later too if you lengthen a times like this.

As for the feeding times, for a while it can be a bit tricky. I used to offer breakfast after first milk and then a large snack before the first nap. Then you can offer milk again on wake up and a second large snack or lunch afterwards. Then another nap and dinner afterwards and then milk before BT. Then as the nap moved later I shifted more food to the pre-nap meal (which became lunch) and only offered milk and a snack on wake up.

What do you think?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 16:00:28 pm »
~ Naomi ~

Offline Eminvc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 17:38:26 pm »
Thanks for the input. I am working on extending A times but it's hard with the EW, especially as I believe my good mapper who's doing the EW is waking up his bad-napper twin who is in turn starting off the day OT...tried moving BT a little later past couple days but it led to even earlier waking. So maybe I will try early BT for a couple days so they can just catch up!

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 19:57:20 pm »
It must be hard with two to juggle when they have different sleep needs. Let me know how you get on. Xx
~ Naomi ~