Author Topic: Time for transaction?  (Read 712 times)

Offline Alenka

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 21, 2007, 00:36:04 am »
My DS is 3.5 mo and  has many signs of transactions time: he is not taking as much at a feed, he started taking 45 minute naps, and he has erratic night wakings . I thought it could be a time for the transaction from 3 hours EASY to 4 or at least 3.5 but here is a problem: He can’t stay awake for more than 1 hour! He is getting fussy after 30 min of awake time, he cries after 40 min and he screams after 55 min. If he falls asleep right away when I put him in his crib, he will be sleeping after 1 hour 10 min of his awake time. At the end of the day he could stay awake even less, sometimes I have to put him to sleep after only 30 min.
So, should I make a transaction or he is not ready yet? And if he is not ready, what should I do with his shorter naps and night walkings?
And just wondering, is it normal for his age to be awake for not more than 1 hour? All my friend’s babies can stay awake for almost 2 hours

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: Time for transaction?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 05:17:28 am »
It's very normal for a baby his age to not be able to stay awake for 2 hours. It took both my babies a bit longer to be able to stay awake that long, past 4 mo. Every baby is different, so don't feel the need to compare your ds to others. As an example, a good friend of mine has a ds that took almost no naps from the beginning!!

If you don't think that your ds can stay awake that long, please don't keep him up. You should follow his cues rather than watching the clock. So when he starts looking/acting tired, it's time for his nap. This may help fix the problems of not eating enough, not sleeping enough, and waking erratically at night (which may be due to hunger and being overtired during the day).

I hope that helps!
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Alenka

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:35:58 am »
Thanks, GG for the reply. The reason why I’m confused is because his behavior just recently changed. He used to sleep longer and eat more on the same 3 hours routine. But right now he can wake up after 40 min of his nap and refuse to go to sleep. So, I take him from his crib and start A time (since it’s too early for E time) and he seems to be happy with it.  ::)
Also, I’m confused that his A time gets shorter (even if he has three good  1.5 –2 hours naps during the day) He used to stay awake for more than an hour but right now it’s only 40 min.    ???

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: Time for transaction?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 04:42:58 am »
How long has this change been going on? Growth spurts or new teeth are notorious for causing those types of disruptions. Milestones as well... has he started rolling over by any chance?  When my dd started rolling over, everything went completely downhill!
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna