Author Topic: New Mommie here...HELP!  (Read 4225 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« on: January 21, 2007, 20:43:42 pm »
  Hello all!
    Have a beautiful 3 week old daughter, and I am concerned. Breastfeeding didn't really work out for us...my milk didn't arrive until day 12, and my baby was born with a weak suck, so the bottle proved to be far easier for her, as she was losing too much weight. Anyway...she eats every 2 hours, sometimes 3 (rarely). My question is...her need to suck is excessive, and it is becoming difficult to manage. She will suck your face, your chin, your neck, her own sleeve, just anything. She is CONSTANTLY turning her head and rooting around for anything. Evereything I have read says that this means she is hungry, but she just isn't.  If she can find nothing to suck, she goes nuts, so I give her a binky, which works for about 1 minute, at which time she either gags on it or spits it out, then goes crazy until you give it back. Then we repeat this about 200 times. I cannot get anything done, because she needs me to put the pacifier back in her mouth evrey minute. Why can't she keep it in her mouth when she wants to so badly? Why does she root so much? We can't even really play with her or read to her because she just turns her head and looks for things to suck on. I'm worried. Any advice?

Offline Eloisa's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 69
Re: New Mommie here...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 20:58:02 pm »
Hi there!  Congratulations on your dd and welcome to BW!

Firstly, don't worry!  I'm sure there will be someone with the perfect advice for you around these boards and the sucking reflex is totally natural and some babies are definitely 'sucky' babies! 

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that I have read that to teach a baby to hold it's paci in you pop it in their mouth and then gently keep pulling on it, to make them suck it back it.  Every time you put it into her mouth do that about 10 times.  It will make her suck it harder and teach her to hold it in.  It worked for my dd.

HTH!

Love from Michelle xxx

"If y

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 21:42:21 pm »
Amelia-My dd was very sucky she sucked and sucked and then sucked some more.  PP had good advice about teaching them to hold onto it.  Mine learned to hold onto it around 4 weeks and then a month later traded it in for her thumb.  It will get easier.  Maybe show her her thumb.  I know many will disagree but it may help her self soothe.  Mine gave hers up at 4 months with no help from me. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 23:02:46 pm »
Thank you both...I have tried to give her her thumb, but she has no idea that those arms are hers...she is still flailing them around wildly (we call her the mad conductor!) and she doesn't "get" the thumb thing!  This whole thing just has us so upset...we feel like we cannot fully enjoy her, because if she is awake, we are playing this insane binkie game, or she is just rooting around so much we can't even connect with her. The binkie game is exhausting...and it makes her sleep so fitful..I wonder if she ever gets any real rest.
  I thnak you for your comments...I have already been doing the "pull-out" thing for a few hours...my fingers are crossed! I just wonder if this has anything to do with her sucking problem that has been since birth...seems like it would have to be related.

Offline Eloisa's Mum

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 23:12:26 pm »
Please don't worry, you will be enjoying her before you know it, everything will settle down. 

Some more thoughts, have you tried swaddling her?  Maybe if she can't thrash about so much she will chill out?  Lots of babies find it really comforting to be swaddled. 

My mum told me she used to swaddle my brother with his hand to his mouth because he was so sucky, maybe that would help?

What happens if you give her your little finger to suck?  Esp get her daddy to try this because daddy's pinkies are very popular pacis with babies (think it's the size and short nails!).  Maybe she would like that?

And if you're worried then just take her to the doctor.  What was the sucking problem, was it diagnosed?

Lovefrom Michelle xxx

"If y

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:50 am »
Amelia- How is it going this evening?

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 02:09:06 am »
  Thank you...you're so sweet. Well, at the hospital they noticed when we tried to breastfeed that she didn't have the proper suck technique...they said she was lazy in the way that she used her tounge. When she lost too much weight and they told me to give her a bottle I knew I was doomed, because of course the bottle would be easier for her, and she'd never want the breast. But we fed her tiny amounts from the bottle and kept trying to nurse. They told me that she wasn't sucking properly, and to give her a binky to excercise her mouth. Also when we did bottle feed her, the formula would run out of her mouth while she sucked, and it was quite a mess. They said that was further evidence that she was not sucking properly, and didn't have a good latch.
  Right now she's screaming her head off, my husband gets to be the binky king right now.
  We swaddle her at night when it's time to go to bed in the bedroom, because she had her days and nights mixed up, we thought that would be a good way of letting her know it was nightime, and only swaddle her at night. (we are making this up as we go!) Even then, she gets those arms free no matter what. She's a tenacious little girl!!
  And yes, we've offered her daddy's pinky, but I felt she was sucking SO much air doing that...
  UGH!!!
  She has a Dr. appt. this week, but to tell you the truth I hate Dr.'s....they poo-poo everyhting I say...I just think it's scary that my daughters waking hours are spent in what appears to be a frantic search for something to suck on. And when she finds it, she squeezes her little hands into such a tight fist that her knuckles turn white, and she sucks as if her life depends on it...frantic. It scares me.
  Very tired first-time Mommy here...she just seems so unhappy all the time and I'm just sad and scared.
  Thank you for your help and kind words.   :)

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 02:14:16 am »
HAve you tried a ot of the different shaped binkies?    We did that hse DD loved one of those that did not have he "slant" to the tip and the one DD loved looked more like a bulb.   They make a latex and a silicone (Gerber) and I noticed the silicone was a little smaller  - might work.  Try a lot of binkies - we did that with bottle nipples as well.  Good luck.   We also used our pinkies for a while (flipped over)   I was terrified about using a binky since I was nursing and I feared it would ruin the nursing......not even close - it was all good!

You posted as I did....dont be sad..we ALL feel and still feel this way.    You worry about everything and just when it passes a new fear will take over....this is practce for forever.      Could you use a REALLY slow flow nipple to let her suck hard on the bottle?     

We swaddles - it was a godsend.  How is her feeding now?  Is hse gaining weight?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:40:44 am »
Amelia-I agree with stacey try different paci's. My dd's fav was the soothie.  It doesn't have a slant to the end either.  Don't panic about the sucking....think of it this way:  your little girl has spent 9 mo in a comfortable, warm, quiet and watery environment she has only been on dry land a few weeks.  The sucking helps her to feel safe, it's very natural.  She is not starving! If she has wet diapers and is gaining weight she's doing well. It's you and DH that are struggling and that is a part of being a parent.  I promise you will look back on these days lovingly...once you get through them :)

Are you trying to get her to sleep for the night?  What night time routine do you have? 

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 02:41:34 am »
Oh my Gosh...you're all so nice. Yes, we've tried different binkies...we found that she likes the latex more than the silicone for whatever reason. And her nipples are slow-flow. I'm out of my mind. All she does is scream until something is in her mouth. Which would be fine, except she just won't leave anything in there!
  Her weight is good...she was born 7/10 and went home at 6/5 ( 3 days later).  At her last visit 12 days ago when she was 2 weeks old she was 8/7.  I was happy about that. She seems to be feeding well, but it takes about a dozen tries to get the bottle into her mouth...she has her tounge at the roof of her mouth...so I have to wait for her to cry at which time she lowers her tounge and then I can get it in there. I fear she has some oral motor issue, but I'm probably just being insane. There is just a great sense of sadness that there seems to be no peace for her, or us either. Just didn't think it'd be this way. I'm sure hormones might be playing a role her with my sadness...but it does suck...no pun intended.  

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 02:45:54 am »
 Nightime routine....a story (futile usually because she just roots, but I read anyway) last bottle, then cuddle with us for a few minutes, then swaddle, then bed. She goes right down like an angel...but wakes every 2 hours on the button! I don't mind that, because she does go right back to sleep usually during the night. At her night feedings I don't even think she's awake, because we don't have the binky issue at overnites that much.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 02:50:37 am »
Amelia-Your just so cute!  No pun intended, ha ha.  At least you have your sense of humor right....You are going to want to hold onto that cause being a parent demands it. 

Is the main problem that she has to have something in her mouth at all times? 
Does she sleep fairly well?

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 03:00:10 am »
  Thanks...if I don't laugh I'm for sure gonna just sit in a corner and cry!!! The main problem is not that she needs to have something in her mouth...( I could care less if she has a binkie til she's in college, as long as she's happy) but that she refuses to KEEP anything in her mouth, even though she has an insatiable need to keep it there, she will not or can not. It's just hard when I want to just look at her and interact with her and she just turns her head (in the direction of nothing) with her mouth open wide, always looking, always searching. So I give her something, but it only works for a minute...then she spits it out and the screaming starts...then it will be an hour long game of suck for a minute, spit out, scream, give back binkie, shake it around in her mouth until she knows it's there and latches properly, then a minute of peace, then repeat this process indefinitely. It is really sucking the joy out of our house. And I worry so that she is stressed or anxious in some way...I cannot explain how frantic the sucking is, and how her eyes get big and her breathing chanmges, like she's afraid that she is not ok. I can't explain it, it's just distressing to us.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 03:09:38 am »
Remember that (I can't believe I am going to say this) everything is a bit more distressing right now.  The two of you have never done this before and it's a frightening and humbling experience.   Do you believe she is eating enough at meals?  Have you tried to "teach" her to hold onto the paci?  Is there anything that calms her other than the sucking? 

I know you are having a very hard time right now.  When Claire was 3 weeks old I thought the world was coming to an end and boy did she confirm that thought by all the crying.  Weeks 3-5 were HORRIBLE.  It was as if she was coming out of the "shock' of being born and m hormones were WAY out of control.  It will get better.  Try to est an EASY sch.  Try to teach her to sleep independently.  Are you familiar with the BW books. Talk to your doc about the sucking. If she is gaining weight then you will just have to work through it.  It will get better.  I have to go DH is wanting to spend time with me. I will check in on you in the morning.  Take care

Offline Eloisa's Mum

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 12:38:12 pm »
Hi Amelia I hope your night went well. :-* I agree with pp's, feeling overwhelmed and worried about your baby is SO normal.  At that stage Ellie would only sleep on me and had to be carried the whole time or she screamed her lungs out!  And Ellie would suck like CRAZY on her paci too, and do the funny face, we just used to giggle about that because she seemed to loved to suck so much, maybe if we hadn't had the constant pacing and screaming to deal with we would have focussed more on that!  I don't think I've heard of anyone that really enjoys their first weeks with their firstborn - it's too new, too frightening and feels like more responsibility than we're cut out for - but you will survive it!  We actually planned a Babymoon, banning visitors for 2 weeks so we could relax, watch DVDs, eat good food and gaze admiringly at our baby who we just KNEW would be sleeping peacefully in her bassinet the whole time.  LOL the reality was quite a shock!!!

I agree with pps, try the different dummies.  We found that a newborn dummy was too small, Ellie needed something she could get a better grip on.  Also, have you tried offering her your breast?  If she's now got such a strong urge to suck, and such a strong suck, you could actually get your milk supply back too.  (I got mine back after a week, but there are many stories of women getting it back after MONTHS!)  You never know, maybe that's what she's rooting around for.  Maybe she didn't have such a strong sucking reflex when she was born and now it's just kicked in with a vengeance.  Does she feed from the bottle without dribbling now? 

Maybe if you think the swaddle is what calms her at night and you think it might help during the day, forget about using it to show day/night and just get her swaddled!  You can show day and night by making sure the room where she sleeps is dark, singing certain songs etc. 

Oh and I totally understand what you mean about doctors, have you already had to take her?  We once rushed Ellie to A&E (ER) with a rash in a great panic, they had consultants, senior consultants, the works all rushing down to see her... it was heat rash ;D.  Don't worry about it, they totally expect new mothers to be neurotic but it IS their job to put our minds at ease :) so if you have to be pushy to get the answers you want, just do it.  Will it be a paediatrician? 

I'll come back later see how you're doing
love from Michelle xxx   

"If y

Offline Gippie

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 02:07:35 am »
Amelia - The crazy worry that YOUR kid has someting more than anyone thought is 100% normal....BUT I will say that you SHOULD nurture whatever fears you have and get them checked out.    I took Quinn to the ER the other day cause I suspected an ear infection and in truth - there was no real evidence....just my nutty fears.   Like all the pp's (prior posters) said.....this is a SMALL blip on the next 18 years.    She will get past this......I used to really break down her life into sundays and say...."she's only been alive for THREE Sundays......she WILL be OK!"

Stacey

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 03:19:10 am »
I don't have any first hand experience, but trying many different pacifiers seems to be a popular solution to this problem.  The Gerber® Gentle Flex™ Pacifier is supposed to imitate a mother's breast ( I can't personally recommend it - I've never tried one) - and I've heard good things about Nuk pacifiers....  I hope your LO takes one kind or another really soon!

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 04:21:01 am »
 Wow, girls...thank you so much...it's so nice that you all try to help one another...I'm glad I came here.
  Well, we went out today and just for kicks, bought a new binkie at your suggestion...(not just a different nipple shape, but a whole new deal). For whatever reason, she keeps this one in her mouth for over 5 minutes, almost 10 minutes at times...I know it doesn't seem like much, but she was only at one minute with the other one! So maybe this will help? This bink is a brand called "Mam"...it looks completely ridiculous, because it's shaped like a butterfly, (why?) but who cares!
  Eloisa's Mom...your post made me laugh about how you thought those first few weeks would be. I thought there would actaully be harp music magically playing while I rocked my baby, with my hair flowing down perfectly, and of course at my my pre-pregnancy weight. Good grief.
  I actually video-taped the insane binky game last night to show the Dr. on Wednesday...it is quite scary to see, honestly...she really does completely flip out.
  I am convinced of some sort of oral motor issue, but I suppose time will tell. Yes, she still does have some formula leak out the sides of her mouth sometimes while feeding...but what concerns me more is the position of her tounge....as I said we have to try a dozen or so times to get that nipple in her mouth...her tounge is always either sticking out a bit, or up at the roof of her mouth.
  UUGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  Let's all have a primal scream, shall we? Or maybe just me? This is so hard...I love her so much but it's not a "fun" love...it feels like crazy stressed out worried love. She absolutley breaks my heart with one look...then fills it right back up again. It's just HUGE...being a Mom...the hugest thing ever. Bigger than marriage, bigger than anything.
  I have high hopes for this new binkie...I have been typing for like 6 whole minutes and neither of us has had to go put it back in yet!!! Could it be?!?!?
 Also...we switced her bottle to Avent...because we saw that it had an extra-slow flow nipple...we thought that it would be harder for her to suck, and maybe satisfy her more...seems like it may be working well. Flying by the seat of our pants over here!!
  If any of you are single Moms...I bow to you....I cannot imagine for one minute doing this alone without my husband. Gives me a newfound respect for women who take it on themselves....they are Rockstars!! :)
  I am humbled and happy that all of you were kind enough to respond. I will keep you posted....much love to you all...

Annie  ( Amelia is my baby's name )   :) 

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 04:37:24 am »
Annie-sounds like things are going better today!  Great. By the way do you happen to be a writer?  You are funny and elequent in your writing.  Maybe you just have a great sense of humor...who knows but your posts make me laugh. 

Such a new mom thing to do...taking a video of the babe to the doc! 
 ;D
Not making fun I have done crazy things myself.  You do what you gotta!  Don't feel too silly.  I had a friend take her dd to the doc cause she was for sure something was wrong with her belly button....turns out she just had an outie :)  I took Claire to the doc 4 times in her first 3 days home.   ::) 

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 12:05:26 pm »
I'm glad to hear things have improved so that you can enjoy your LO for a few minutes.  My LO was pretty lazy when it came to opening her mouth to latch on, and she never seemed to have her tongue in the right place for me to simulate her sucking reflex - she always had it at the top of her mouth and too far back. (I love how on the "how to" videos they showed at the prenatal class the baby always has its mouth open so wide you could drive a truck through it - that baby was not even close to being a newborn).  I spent alot of the first few days expressing colostrum and trying to get her to open her mouth enough to let me get a finger in there so she could get some nutrition.  She got better at that, but I remember trying to get her to take the Advent slow flow bottle at 3 weeks for a DF - she just didn't get it - she couldn't coordinate her tongue enough to stop the flow and she kept choking.  Within the next couple of weeks she really came along in that area too.  Hopefully one day soon you will be feeding her and realize that its not as hard as it used to be....  I love your harp music fantasy - no matter how much you tell yourself its going to be hard, it seems to be a little bit harder than you thought.  My fantasy was more along the lines of me, DH and DD having cuddles on the couch (much like we do with the dog and cat), quiet, peaceful... of course now at 3.5M, my DD either wants to be doing stuff, or sleeping - and she doesn't like sleeping on us anymore - she just gets fussy.

Offline Eloisa's Mum

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:20:41 pm »
Annie!  :) So great to hear you sounding a bit more positive, I hope the new binkie stays in!  And I remember still having to keep replacing it, but 6-10 minutes sounds about what I remember, so well done you guys!  Good luck at the doctors tomorrow, I don't know about the tongue position but I'm sure it will be fine.

Too funny about the harp music and perfect hair, maybe in about 18 years when they've gone off to college...  ;D No, it really does get easier, I remember about 6 weeks in I all of sudden felt like I could breathe again!  Oh and I also used to put dd in the BabyBjorn and put her paci in, it would be wedged in and she'd be happy in there, I used to call my mum and my friends and just pace about to get some free time!

Stacy you made me remember, I also took dd to the hospital because I was convinced she has got something up her nose!!  She was about 8mo, I can't even remember what made me think it but i googled her symptoms and was like OMG!!  And drove to the A&E.  Obviously there was nothing there! 

Love from Michelle xxx

"If y

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 14:09:23 pm »
 Oh you guys just cracked me up! I feel a bit less insane now that I know I'm not alone and that this is typical of all new moms!!  Thank you so much!
  I tell you my husband and I were so fired up over this new bink...I actually was crying when she kept it in her mouth!! Sounds crazy but I really feel like I can have a life if she just holds onto the thing...well, maybe not a "life" just yet, but at least a shower! :)
 I feel like I can breathe. You guys are so wonderful...you had to see me at Target..."Well, honey, the girls at baby whisperer said to try this new bink..."
  Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MWAAA!

p.s. No, not a writer, but I thank you for saying that...it is a secret fantasy of mine. Maybe pregnancy and motherhood will give me something more to write about. I'm going to call my first book "Pregnancy Sucks", or perhaps.."Whose butt is this?!?!?"   
 Love to you...

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 14:19:52 pm »
I'm amazed, after what you are going through, that your first book would be about pregnancy.  I was 10 days overdue, and when people asked if I was impatient to get my DD out, I replied "No, she's alot quieter where she is now"

Offline Eloisa's Mum

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 14:46:47 pm »
Awww bless you Annie I just got a little lump in my throat reading your post, happy days!!  LOL at Whose butt is this?!!

And about the shower - bouncy seat in the bathroom, sing a few songs while you're in the shower, never fails - and if you start it now they just accept it's what happens and you'll never have to miss a shower ever again!! And if she hangs onto that binky that's a 6 minute shower!  Of course if you can leave your dd in her cot while you go, then even better, my SIL started that one when her dd was born, but mine wasn't having any of it, so she just had to come with me!

Love from Michelle xxx

"If y

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 18:06:44 pm »
Annie-You are going to be a wonderful mom.  With a sense of humor like yours....you'll do great!  It will carry you through the rocky times :)  Let us know how things are going...and watch out, you'll be addicted to these boards in no time.  You might even skip a shower because of it.   :o

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 19:51:46 pm »
Amelia - How are things going with the new soother?

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 21:14:22 pm »
 Hi Girls!
  Oh my Goodness it's a new world over here! How could something so simple be the answer to all that stress? Am I speaking too soon? I swear it's unreal how much more content she is...it's astounding. I guess that new bink really satisfies her need, so every waking moment is more pleasant for her. And, of course, for us!  :)   :)   :)
  Went to Dr. today...at 4 weeks we are 9lb 14 oz.....yay!

Question....she is eating 2 ounces every 2 hours. She will cry at the exact 2 hour mark to eat.  Dr. says she should be going 3 hours by now, and we tried to give her 2 1/2 oz to see if she'd make it longer, but she just got all gurgly, spit up alot, and it was a struggle. So to me, clearly she isn't ready for more food per feeding. Do I just keep trying to give her more at weekly intervals? How do you know when it's time to feed more and go longer between feedings? I would love to see her go to every 3 hours, but based on my little test, she isn't ready. Doc says she should be ready. Any advice? 

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 21:30:37 pm »
You know when she is ready.  I would just try to feed her only when she shows signs of hunger.  Gradually the length of time between feedings will get longer and she will take more naturally.  If you want her to go longer just put maybe 3 oz in the bottle each time.  If she takes it great if not whatever.  You can burp her in the middle of a feed.  Sometimes that lets air escape and makes a little more room.  Or feed her and then give her a few min and try to give her the extra oz once it has settled.   The more her stomach grows the longer she will be able to go.  When a doc says she (meaning your lo) take that to mean "on average" every baby is different.

I am SO glad things are going better.  Sometimes it is just a simple litte thing that makes everything better.  The hard part is figuring out what that little thing is :)

Take care Annie.
Enjoy every second of her cause my god they grow fast and before you know it they would rather run around than even lay for just a minute in your arms.  Can you tell mine is big now?  13 months have never seemed shorter and longer in all my life.  ENJOY.

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 22:02:03 pm »
I'm so glad for you. The two hour feeds were probably the last thing you were worried about when she was always looking for something to suck on, but do you have her on a routine?  If so, you should post it. If she is eating every two hours, does that mean she is not taking 1.5hr naps?  If you work on extending her A and nap time (if she's taking short naps it's easier said than done), the increased interval between feeds may follow.

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 23:57:27 pm »
 I swear signing in here was one of the smartest things I've done lately!!  :)
 Not to worry...we are savoring every minute of her delicious littleness...this is one baby who was so waited for and prayed for...we don't take a second of it for granted.
 Thanks so much for your well wishes...as it turns out, my daughter seems to have put herself on E.A.S.Y. from the minute she was born...I had skimmed the book, but then when I read it a little more, I realized we were doing it without much effort...I guess we're very lucky!
  She wants to eat every 2 hours on the dot...so we feed her the 2 ounces, then she is up for about 30 minutes after a feed, then to sleep for about 90 minutes til she hits that 2 hour mark! She was fussing alot in her wake time...but now she is content to look at us, and make funny faces. I got to finish a story today without her rooting! She stared and stared at the pictures...it was so precious I needed to lie down after!
  So it seems I am fortunate in the way she decided to schedule herself...I'm glad I didn't have to try to get her on a schedule, because I know that can be challenging.
  My only concern now is that longer time in between, but I feel alot better about it based on what you guys have offered. I don't understand how she gets more food as she grows...if we getr her up to 3 ounces evrey 3 hours (instaed of 2/2)...that's still 24 ounces in 24 hours..and then 4 ounces every 4 hours is still 24! Hmmm.....
   Thank God for you guys! Tracy was right...newborns are the graet equalizer!! No matter how smart you THINK you are...oh just have a baby and you will feel like an insecure crazy person!!  :)

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 00:48:07 am »
Be sure to check out the bottle feeding boards... 

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 18:34:06 pm »
Annie-I can't really answer the how many oz thing cause I BF but you should check out the bottle feeding boards like PP said.  Hope things continue to go well.  Great that you guy are on easy!  You really wouldn't want to be on HARD would you?  :)

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 18:34:53 pm »
Hey one more thing.  You should post a picture of the lo!!! 

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2007, 00:58:32 am »
  Oh if only I knew how to post her picture...I have a brother who's a whiz...but he comes over on Sundays...so I'll try to get him to do it! So watch out for Amelia...she's a looker!!!!!!  ;)

P.S.  Claire was ALMOST Amelia's name!!! It is one of my all-time favorites...but I had 2 clients who used that name in the last month of my pregnancy...made me mad...so I switched! Funny how once you name your baby, even if you're unsure...in a matter of hours you can't imagine that they could ever be named anything else.  Your baby is a doll!  Actually this site is full of 'em!!!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2007, 01:08:37 am »
Amelia was a name that I had on my list!  Yep once you name them thats it.  Can't wait to see a pic.  Thanks we think Claire is a cutie but you are right this site is full of cuties.