Author Topic: just started solids...bad wind!!  (Read 1262 times)

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
just started solids...bad wind!!
« on: June 23, 2006, 07:47:55 am »
my DD is 6 months old and we started her on solids recently. We started with a baby rice mixed with her usual BM at her 11am feed (approx 20ml milk with about 2-3 tsps of hipp organic rice). We gave her that for 3 days with no problems and she loved it ;D

then we introduced a veg or fruit puree instead of the rice and gave her 1 variety for 3 days before switching to something new. again she had no problems.

on day 8 we introduced a second meal of baby rice and BM (approx  20ml milk with 2-3 teasp rice) at about 6.00pm. Everything has been fine until 3 nights ago when she started waking about 2.5-3hrs after her dreamfeed crying. When I go to her she is pulling her legs up and (for use of a better word) farting! :-[

I usually lift her out of her cot and gently rub her back and she pulls her legs up frantically then relaxes and this keeps happening for a while until she eventually relaxes. last night i rubbed her belly a bit (as described in my baby massage for dummies book) and that helped. she usually drifts back off to sleep but will wake up again several times with the same symptoms :-\

Eventually her crying with the wind runs into the time i usually feed her at night (she gets fed once a night around 2-3 am as she's still quite light for her age and no matter what i do during the day i just can't seems to up her calories enough to sustain her through the night!)

is it simply her body trying to get used to the solids and it's taken a week and a half for this problem to occur? should i drop the baby rice/feed her earlier/switch to a fruit like pear instead of the rice?!?

could it be the earlier meal of the day affecting her that late in the night, or is it more likely to be her later solids?

i should say that she has had a bowel movement every day since her solids began, so it's not constipation!

Help please!!!  ???

Offline llinosjones

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:14:59 am »
im having exactly the same problem i have tried everything, giving veg not giving veg. only giving rusk in the late afternoon as he wont get wind. ive tried puttig a pillow under him so his back isnt flat.i have run out of ideas at the moent ive stopped food altogether. and for the last 2 nights ive still been up 2 /3 times a night last nights it took me two hours to get him back to sleep. the only thing i do differently is i dont give him a dream feed or a feed in the middle of the night. as i know he is not hungry and has sleep all night for about a month and a half b4 i introduced solids.so the worst hing is if he wakes up moaning not crying i pick him up thinking he has wind im scared he is getting used to it i really need to let him cry.