Author Topic: 15 weeks old with reflux  (Read 820 times)

Offline Pele

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 weeks old with reflux
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:11:02 am »
Trying to get my son on a schedule.  However he has reflux and I heard that there is no such thing as accidental parenting with reflux babies. Is it okay to use wts and pupd?  He is on meds and it seems to be helping.  I'm just not sure how to get him on the schedule.  As of now he wakes up and feeds, then activity, then at naptime he wants to eat again.  I know I shouldn't use myself as a prop, but I'm not sure if the crying will make his reflux worse.  I tried to use wts a few nights in a row and he cried for over an hour? HELP???

Offline calebs mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
Re: 15 weeks old with reflux
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 16:13:58 pm »
My son had reflux as well.  I don't think crying makes the reflux worse.  Sucking actually helps sooth the burning of reflux, so that may be why your lo wants to eat at naptime.  Have you tried a pacifier as part of the winddown time before bed instead of nursing.  How often is your lo eating?  I would be cautious about saying that there is no accidental parenting with reflux babies.  True, getting rid of the pain is very important, but you also don't want to set yourself up as a prop once the pain is under control.  I am glad the meds seem to be helping.  So, now that you are helping his pain, I would suggest getting on a routine.
It is okay to use w2s and pu/pd and shh/pat as long as you know your lo isn't in pain and just needing help getting to sleep.  When you said you tried w2s and he cried for over an hour, how did you do the w2s?  Did you fully wake him or did you just get him to stir?  Why are you doing w2s in the night and what time?  Can you give an idea of your typical day/ routine?  Sorry so many questions, just trying to get the whole picture.
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline Pele

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 15 weeks old with reflux
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:50:06 am »
maybe I don't understand the w2s I thought this was when you put them down to bed for naps and bedtime?  Shush and patting doesn't help at all, he cries and I know this is not his pain cry.  The night when he cried an hour I tried putting him in bed awake, drowsy but awake and he just cried loud and hard when I shushed and rubbed him gently.  Patting not so good for reflux baby.  Than I picked him up and held him to calm him, again shushing and rubbing.  This went on and on.  I knew was tried all the signals were there he wasn't overtired when we started and he was fed, he had his meds and like I said it wasn't he painful cry just angry cry.  I didn't think the pupd would work so well for him.  He also refuses a paci I've tried since day one.  He takes a bottle so he knows the difference and will not take a paci.  I've tried many!  I tried the 3 hr easy starting at 730.  He only falls asleep at the breast well after a feed, not neccisarily the breast, he pulls away when he's full than falls asleep.  The Dr told me to keep him on an incline for about 10 minutes after a feed than put him down.  But following the easy I'm not suppose to feed him prior to naps.?  thanks