Author Topic: chaos after sickness/hospital stay  (Read 7583 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Re: chaos after sickness/hospital stay
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 21:49:31 pm »
I dont mind guving her the bottle at ew. I thought ifnI donit all the tit will become a habit.
Ill do that then.

The nap today was 2h.the paracetamol seems to be working wbd with less fuss during the night  she is happier during the day. I was also thinking that maybe i should push the nap to 12 if she is getting up at 8. You think is better to wake her at 7/730? Should I still try to push the nsp st 12 then?
I saw that she was tiered even at 5 tonight. So got her ready for bed at 6 but after the milk she was ready to play. She foght me so I let her play. She was asleep at 8:30. Looking forward to sering how tonight goes.

I was wondering, do you give paravetamol during the day or just before bt?

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 19:47:28 pm »
Great nap! How was the night?

I was also thinking that maybe i should push the nap to 12 if she is getting up at 8. You think is better to wake her at 7/730? Should I still try to push the nsp st 12 then?
If you want WU to be at 8, that's totally fine.  I guess I was going off your original desired routine, which was WU at 7. If you're doing 8, I'd push nap to be no earlier than 12, likely even 12:30.

I was wondering, do you give paravetamol during the day or just before bt?
It depends on the day.  I try to always save it for bedtime, but if it's a clear struggle with pain during the day, I will give some then as well.

Offline dache

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
Thank you Katie for taking the time to read my weaning, I know you are dealing with your LO sleep issues.

I can honestly say Im baffled. I just cant figure things out.
Naps are better if I put her later during the day. She is prolonging her A time. So at least 4.5h and she falls asleep independently, fast.
BT is still chaos. She needs me there but yesterday I stayed and held her hand until she calmed down then left the room while she was awake. She let a small cry but eventually fell asleep on her own.Night wakings are the same. Sometimes she can go back to sleep on her own,she replugs the paci and dozes off, sometimes she cries until I come and replug her, sometimes she needs my hand, then other times she cries and nothing is working :-[

Saturday, she napped ok, not a long nap but fine. Bt 8ish. She woke up at around one did not went back to sleep even with the bottle. Stayed in the crib fussing but not crying a lot.
Wu at 6:30 Sunday morning. We decided to stay in so that she can have a decent  nap  but she napped just over an hour.Had a CN at 4. Bt was 9. She slept 8h streight. And two more hours after the bottle (5:30).
Yesterday woke up around 8. Nap was 12-2. Bt was 9:30 She was up most of the night. Just as she would fall asleep she would start crying.

She is teething, one tooth almost out,I can feel it poking.She has temperature 100. Bc she is teething her reflux if flaring just a little bit. She spits up a bit, once in a blue moon. She also has a irritation in her nappy area, (she is itching a lot). (I also think this is teething related)
I give her paracetamol for teething, shower for the temperature. Leave her with out diapers, put her on the potty often, if she goes in between I change her right away. I put cream to help her itching and its seems to get better. This happens to her often so  :-\

Am I just wasting my time trying to help her sleep independently? Should I just leave it till she has the teeth out?
She has 6 teeth and they all came out around the same time, its the same now, she has more then a few getting ready.
Im just not the type to leave it be. And I have pain on my right side (hip and right leg like by bones are hurting,  ???) And that`s usually the side I sleep if Im next to the crib.

Offline katie80

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 00:43:49 am »
I do think the randomness (sometimes needing you, sometimes not) of the nights sounds like teething. I guess it's up to you how 'strict' you want to be... it sounds like things are not going too bad with her settling. :-\

I wonder if the day is a bit long still and that's adding to the NWs as well. At her age, I would guess with a 2hr nap, her day should still be around 12-12.5hr, maybe 13 if she's lower sleep needs.

(((Hugs))) for your hip pain... hope it feels better soon. :-*

Offline dache

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 09:18:36 am »
I know her day is long. I try to make bt earlier but without success. Yesterday I put her down at 8. She fell asleep at 8:30 (with my help)

I guess it's up to you how 'strict' you want to be

I dont want to be strict  :D
I decided to let her sleep as much as she wants during the day. This means two naps, as long as she wants to. Just to let her catch up on her sleep. She is sleeping so poorly during that Im almost sure she is OT.
Maybe that will help.
As far as the teething goes, I can just go with the flow for now (so not me) but if that means holding her hand all night, fine.
After she is over this phase Ill deal with the hand issue.

I was wondering is there a GS around now? I know there is a WW at week 65.

She slept so restless the past two nights. She is moving, turning on her tummy and falls asleep in what it looks like downward dog position.

Offline katie80

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 18:10:34 pm »
I was wondering is there a GS around now? I know there is a WW at week 65.
Not sure about the GS... it seems they are usually around their birthdays and half-birthdays from here on out, but if course that doesn't necessrily mean it's true for every child.

I think it's fine to try to catch her up on sleep, but you do have to be careful of getting yourself into an UT/OT loop, especially with two naps. Too much day sleep can lead to a short, unsettled night with can then cause OT. Sometimes it's a fine balance and works differently for different kiddos! :P

LOL on sleeping in downward dog! :D

Offline dache

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 18:41:09 pm »
I know what you mean about OT/UT loop. I will be carefull about that.

EW was a 5:55,better then before.
It worked for today. For the first time in a month, I think, BT was in normal time7:00.
She napped 9:30-10:30 and then had a 40minute nap in the stroller 13:30-2:10. I could see she was getting sleepy around 6.
This feels amazing. Cant wait to see how the night goes.

Hope you work out EW soon and a lot of get well vibes for your Los

Offline katie80

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 19:03:06 pm »
Thanks! :-* FX for a good night for you... enjoy your evening! :D

Offline dache

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 19:41:58 pm »
Seems things are starting to improve.

She did woke up twice after bt-8:30 and 10:30 but settled immediately the first time, second time I stayed there for like a minute.
Then she woke up 5:50. Settled with bottle and wu 8ish.
Nap was 11:30-1:00 and bt was 7:30
No fuss at all.  :o :o At bt I just put her down, left the room and done. She did not even let a cry.

EW is a pain though, I hope that the time change in March will help sort that out

Offline katie80

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 19:47:43 pm »
That sounds really good, Dache! :) Hope it continues!!! I'd start pushing out that nap a bit too... may help with the EW.

Offline dache

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 21:34:02 pm »
Things went for the worse :-(
She woke up around 10pm yesterday and nothing would calm her down. I let her doze off in my arms then put her in the crib,she was still crying. So I hled her long, unt I was too tiered. I had to hold her hand all night but she did ok (meaning no need topick her up).
She was fighting the nap,gave her bottl and she fell asleep. Bt today even worse.I sat with her until she fall asleep in my lap.
I am scarednto think at the 18m sleep problems. I cant deal with things now.
I wish there was a way to know its bc she is teething or something else or its bc the apoping I dis when she was sick. If its bc of the apoping I would try to ST but I dont know for sure.
:-(

Offline katie80

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 20:07:34 pm »
(((Hugs))), it is hard to know. I guess what makes me think it's teething is that it's so back and forth, yk. Some days she's fine, some days she really struggles. I think if it was a prop issue, she would be needing your help all the time. :-\

Do you want me to ask for another opinion for you?

Offline dache

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 21:35:24 pm »
The post was a rant more then anything.

Some days I say to myself so what if she wants to hold my hand. She needs me, I am her mum and I need to be there for her in any way she needs me. And how long will she want to do this? If its just teething she will go to IS when she is all better. Dh laugh that it`s just for couple more years  :P

Other days I get angry. I tell myself that its about time we get a break. Since she was born we`ve struggled. First accepting the fact that our baby is crying a lot (we thought it was normal), then finding out she had reflux, then finally  finding out that she has reflux because she has milk allergy at 6 months, and she gets sick often, the the hospital again...I don`t even know at where my anger is pointed.
So I think we do deserve a break, and that should be her finally sttn :)

I think maybe Saturday night she woke up bc we went to a bday party and there was a lot of people, a lot of noise. She had 2+ hours wind down after that but I don`t know. And yesterday I could see she was getting sleepy at 6 but she fell asleep at 8 so probably she was ot.

She had a nice nap 11-2 today. We`ve started going out in the afternoon for walks and although we have the stroller, she is on her feet a lot. Maybe that`s why she gets tiered so early.

I don`t know if you remember I said I hold her hand instead of letting her hold mine so that I have more control. I tried letting her hold mine and she position them under my arm. It was funny and sweet, she tucked both her hands under my palm :)
I think that after she has calmed down I`ll just move my hand to the mattress.  See how that goes.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. Bt is at more decent time bc of your advice and ew has moved to 6.
No need for another opinion.   

Offline katie80

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 19:55:51 pm »
You're welcome, hon.  I get it, I totally get the thinking of when is it our turn to catch a break or catch some more sleep (and I haven't been through half of what you have :-[).  I think with some LOs, the whole process is just harder because of their temperament.  V is spirited, right? Is she a bit touchy as well?  My DD is textbook/spirited, but was touchy about sleep... we went back and forth for a couple years, as little things could really set her off.  DS2 is very similar.  DS1 was my break! ;) While he didn't have great nights for a good while when he was teething, he's always been very easy to lead and very easy to find the right routine for... he's textbook/angel.  Sometimes I get down on myself and wondering why I can't get it right or what I could do better, but honestly after 3 of them, I have to remind myself that I can only do so much and the rest (their little personalities) I can't control. Easier said than done, but helpful to remember. :)

I don`t know if you remember I said I hold her hand instead of letting her hold mine so that I have more control. I tried letting her hold mine and she position them under my arm. It was funny and sweet, she tucked both her hands under my palm :)
I think that after she has calmed down I`ll just move my hand to the mattress.  See how that goes.
So sweet! :D I think you're plan sounds great!

Offline dache

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 22:35:38 pm »
Thanks Katie.

Today she prefers my hand on her face :P Napped for 1.5h so I put her down for a ct. A few minutes letter I found  her standing on a plastic box that she had taken out of the closet and was trying to get out :D Cheeky monkey

She`s been waking these two days a few hours after bt trying to pass gas  ::) Sounds like she is in pain and moans and is crying.
I`ve posted on health board about that. Was a bit down/mellow trough out the day too.

I think that she is a combo of textbook, spirited and touchy depending on the situation.I am learning to deal with her personalities everyday a bit more.

I say to dh that we`ll get a brake with the next one. He does not want to hear about another one :)

Just put her down now after a long wake trying to pass gas. Last night she woke up like this then slept fine till 5:40. Im hoping she will do the same but not wake before 6 :-\