Author Topic: Early WU 2yr 9mo  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:40 am »
Please help., 2yr, 9 mo waking around 5.30/45am shouting for us  She wakes our 14 mo in the process.  She also calls out after we put her down at BT repeatedly. We go in and in the end say we'll take away her comfort item if she does it again.  I know we probably shouldn't use bribes/ threats but don't know what else to do.  We have just started using a Gro Clock but she doesn't wait for the sun to come up on it in the morning before she starts calling out. As a result, her nap yesterday ended up being in the morning instead of the afternoon which is what normally happens, cause she  was so tired from WU so early.

Please help.  I'm so tired.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Early WU 2yr 9mo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 13:06:10 pm »
What's her normal routine?  Given her age it may well be related to nap dropping or at least needing to shorten....

How do you respond to her shouting?  Do you enforce the gro clock?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 14:33:46 pm »
Does sound like you need a routine tweak, as she's cutting her night sleep both ends.

We go in and in the end say we'll take away her comfort item if she does it again.
I've done this myself (once in sheer frustration) and regretted it, so I know how you feel. The thing is, she's not 'doing it on purpose', there's something out of whack, and she's bringing it to your attention in an admittedly very annoying way :P  If you can spare the time, and it's not easy with a 14 mo in the mix too, perhaps you could sit with her at BT and see if she calms down.  If she's UT/OT, a routine tweak will help, but you don't want to get into a habit of battling at bedtime.  You might need to do some Gradual Withdrawal, have a look here:
Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

HUGS bedtimes are so hard when they go wonky, *everyone* is tired by then!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 15:01:21 pm »
She gets up (usually 7am when she was good), breakfast half hour later, snack around 10/10.30am, lunch around 12/12.15pm, nap around 1.30pm, snack around 3/3.30pm, dinner around 5.15pm, BT 7pm.

I don't enforce the Gro clock as I've only just started using it. My husband goes in when she calls out repeatedly in the morning and then, I suppose yes, I see what you may mean, he tells her it's not time to get up yet. He leaves and a short time later she calls again. Repeat, repeat. ..So is that enforcing it? In fact, today I decided to just ditch the clock and go back to how we were before.  She still calls out possibly but maybe if the clock's not there she won't fixate on it and may just settle for a bit more lay down time- which she used to, so I don't know why she's become difficult. May be as it's been half term she's not been worn out enough as not been to nursery? 
.If she's thinking about dropping nap how will this continue and how should I handle things?. Also,  I'm not sure she is ready to drop it entirely as she gets tired still.

And I'll try and review the two different BT methods as well. It seems sometimes to me like a game she is just playing with us as she,'s done it for ages on and off (at BT), but not sure about her morning WU calls. Maybe she is UT and that would fit with my thoughts about her not having been worn out this week?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 15:04:24 pm »
How long is the nap usually?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 15:14:14 pm »
About 1.25 hrs.. Sometimes (not often) 1.5hrs. These are nap times when not at nursery  When at nursery she doesn't nap much perhaps 20-40 mins if lucky or not at all  On days she doesn't nap at nursery at all she's a nightmare when I pick her up. Tired...

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:34:50 am »
So by this age DD had dropped her nap but in the run-up to dropping her routine was very similar - nap around 1.30/2 max to 3pm, BT 7pm.  She started refusing naps at nursery probably twice a week and at home with increasing frequency.  Towards the end though we had to ask nursery not to let her nap as even a short nap was throwing things off at night.  Unfortunately you get into a vicious cycle where nap wrecks the night, so they're tired and need the nap even more etc etc. 

My suggestions would be - reinstate the gro clock and enforce it.  Set her up for success - so if current WU is around 5.45am set it for 6am.  Then if she calls out respond with a simple it is night time, wait for the sun to come up. WIWO if you have to.  Repeat repeat repeat until sun up, then hooray, big fuss, it's time to wake up!  The 6am is only temporary however, once you have her waiting that short time, push it forward 10-15 mins until you get to desired WU time. 

Nap-wise I would not allow early naps, keep her up to set nap time even if she wakes early as an early nap may reinforce the early start.  If she refuses her nap try for a late 15-20 min catnap in the car/stroller if you can.  And pull BT. in earlier on NNDs.   You could also try capping her nap to an hour on nap days, maybe pushing it forwards so 1.45-2.45/3. 

What do you think?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 21:57:43 pm »
Yes that sounds like a plan.  I'll just see how she goes on her nursery days now this week as it'll give me a bit more info and will help me see which of the several reasons it could be that she's waking early.  Thanks very much. I'll keep you posted.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 19:52:38 pm »
Will look forward to an update :)

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 21:54:40 pm »
So far two days at nursery may have done what I expected, she didn't wake early yesterday or today.  She didn't nap at nursery yesterday or today.  Therefore,  I wonder if she has just needed to be more tired then? She was tired tonight so we'll see what she does overnight.  Also,  she's not called out repeatedly for us shortly after BT since we've started saying to her that if she is good and doesn't shout out for a few nights then at the weekend we'll go out to a special place for a treat.  I'll still wait for a few more nights of data and give you a further update.  What do yo think so far..?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:35:49 am »
Sounds like you're on the right track headed towards getting rid of the nap x

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 21:38:30 pm »
Hmmm...spanner thrown in the works? - This morning she woke at 5.20am...This is after a day at nursery and no nap at nursery. ..I'm totally thrown.  Why would she wake so early if I thought she must have been tired after that sort of day... Any clues?  As a result of the early WU, she actually napped at nursery today for what I would call her usual nap length of 1.25hrs.  What do you think's going on? Still on track to dropping nap? Should I start considering reinstating the Gro clock soon and try that plan outlined previously?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 06:54:08 am »
Overtiredness.......what time are you doing bed on a NND?

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 12:08:08 pm »
When you say NND,  do you mean no nap day or no nursery day?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 13:57:24 pm »
Sorry - I meant no nap day x

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 21:37:40 pm »
6.30pm on NND instead of 7pm normal BT. BTY, things are all over the place since last night as I needed to take her to hospital due to her asthma/viral induced wheeze. So will be in touch when we're back on track as still getting off meds.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 09:07:59 am »
Oh no :( hugs and hope she's better soon, all bets are off when they are ill x