Author Topic: Having one of those nights  (Read 1288 times)

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 26, 2005, 01:03:05 am »
Ugh... I think it is the pregnancy hormones or something but I feel like I just can't win tonight! First let me tell you what my typical evening is like... I aim to have dinner at 6:30 so that dh, dd and I can eat as a family. I have been more and more trying to cook one meal for the entire family and it is actually working for the most part. However, dd is clinging, whining, crying and underfoot most of the time I am cooking. It is incredibly frustrating! On top of that, this evening she would not eat ( 2 bites of carrots and two bites of beans) and I am certain she was hungry, just not liking what I made this evening. She kept signing "eat" and I told her to eat what was on her plate. No go... so I put her down. She took her sippy of milk with her, drank quite a bit and then pulled the let the milk all run out of your mouth trick. I firmly said, "Kyra! We drink our milk, we do not spit it on the floor." She threw her milk cup down at that point. A few minutes later, she got back up and ate a few more bites of beans. I got out plums for dessert. She proceeded to try a few, and squeeze one to juice while trying to demand another (apparently she thought the others might taste different). I had had it. I took her to the sink, rinsed her off and sent her off to play with her daddy. She was very whiney and crying and I was certain she was hungry. I gave her a bed time snack after bath (about 45 minutes after the dinner antics, which she inhaled because as I was sure... she was hungry. The whole time, I just wanted to burst into tears. I am trying to start good family eating habits (I will never force her to eat) by  not being a short order cook and it is rare that she eats nothing at a meal. Tonight just felt awful. I knew she was hungry, but I didn't want to give her a whole other meal. I have to figure out a way to keep my emotions out of meal time. Somehow I feel like  failure if I make a meal that she won't touch. Thank goodness, most nights are better than this. I hope that this isn't the start of a nightmare!
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline 2boysmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Having one of those nights
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 19:14:14 pm »
I'm sorry last night was so rough!  But hey, at least you cooked!!  My Andrew has times like that!  Keep up the good work!  I'm just trying to get back into cooking!  Grilled cheese sandwiches are getting old!lol
Andrew 10/01/02 spirited
Philip 1/12/05 textbook?

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 19:28:53 pm »
{{{{HUGS}}}} to you.

My ds still does this on occasion.  I am now of the opinion that he will be offered what we are having and if he is hungry he will eat, if not he waits until the next snack or meal time.

She will not starve herself and you are doing a great job.

Offline Fife_Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 19:46:27 pm »
Hi,

My DS (nearly 16 months) can be like this too. He actually went for 3 days last weekend not eating much at all. And he does the plum thing with satsuma segments  :lol:  If he won't sit to eat I generally try him on my knee (this is magic sometimes but he eats all my food instead) or give him extra milk to drink. And I can only cook properly if DH looks after DS due to the layout of my kitchen and DS wanting 'up'. Apparently me chopping and cooking is more exciting than a whole room-full of toys.

Try not to stress about it. I always cook extra when I'm cooking properly so then even if it is not appreciated I can chill or freeze another portion for an easy meal another day.

Vicky

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 00:45:18 am »
Toddlers can be very challenging at meal times. Thanks for sharing your stories. It does help to know that I'm not alone. She has been doing just fine since then. I am trying to figure out ways to get her involved whenever possible with the evening meal preparation. It is hard to think of things to let her help with sometimes, but even just having her hand me a potato or a spoon and letting her help stir help a little. She LOVES to help me grill... mostly she just plays on the deck. I find she just clings more if I try to encourage her to go play with her toys. Just not an option for that time of day apparently! I am just wondering how in the world dinner will get made when the new one arrives! I think I may be cooking ahead on the weekends and just warming over meals for weekday nights! :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline IndiaJenn

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:30:40 am »
SandyGal,

I think you're doing a great job - it sounds like it was a really difficult night (my ds does the same thing every now and again too) but by not caving and giving her something else right away you're keeping her from being fussy and making this a habit. Hang in there -- my mom says that she had to be really firm with us until we were about 2 but after that we never fussed much about food.