Author Topic: Pls help us get on track with 7WO  (Read 691 times)

Offline lro

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 15, 2010, 15:03:53 pm »
Hi,
I have been using this forum with great help for the last 4 years! BW worked great for my first two kids but I am having a hard time with self soothing for naps and sleep with girl #3. Basically getting her to fall asleep is sometimes, not always, a mission. I can never put her in drowsy and pat/shh as she cries a lot and I feel that with 2 other toddlers in the house, it is too hard to sit there patting and shushing for a long time. Especially when as much sleep for her is my goal since sleep begets sleep. So I have been walking/nursing/rocking and it is driving me a little nuts! I want her to sleep independently and I know she is better off with it, but I also do not want to have her crying for so long that she misses the nap and it is feed time again. Loves to suck and we have used the paci a bit but if I put her in bed (she is a belly sleeper) drowsy and get the paci in, she sucks and it calms her, then she turns her head side to side and it falls out, I put it back in, she begins to conk out and then for whatever reason, RIGHT as her eyes have closed and it seems sure she will go down- her eyes fly open, the fussing begins and then it is harder to get the paci in b/c she starts to really turn head side to side and gets angry and then I feel that I have lost my chance and I pick her up and start nursing/rocking/walking...urghhhh. I have also tried putting her down on her side but that does not help either. She is not a fussy baby when awake and during the whole nap/sleep routine barely cries (just fusses), no colic and no reflux.
Here is our schedule:
7:30 am - wake up and nurses
8:30 begin wind down and nap
11 or 11:30 wake up and eat
12:30 or 1: nap
3:30 or 4: wake up and nurse and sometimes a small nap
5:45 or 6: begin bed time
7:30: she is usually asleep by this time
1:00 am- bottle from husband
5 am - nurse
7:30 - wake up and begin again!

thank you for your help!
lauren

Offline muddyfeet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • New Apron
Re: Pls help us get on track with 7WO
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 16:54:16 pm »
Her restlessness loses her the binky, and she needs that to calm down. I realize she's a belly sleeper, but have you tried swaddling and putting her on her side or back?

Offline lro

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 18:52:37 pm »
She was swaddled for the first few weeks and then I stopped and switched to belly. I have not tried since then. Do you think that could help?
thanks.

Offline muddyfeet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • New Apron
Re: Pls help us get on track with 7WO
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:17:40 am »
I think it's worth a try unless you switched to belly because she was uncomfortable in a swaddle. At this age, their movements are jerky and out of their control, mostly involuntary. Swaddling just keeps their little bodies under control. It also makes them feel like they're still in that comfy, cozy womb. You can swaddle up to 6 months, if it helps them sleep.