Author Topic: 6 month old waking in night  (Read 917 times)

Offline Ch10

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old waking in night
« on: January 10, 2015, 13:37:19 pm »
Hello, my baby girl is almost 6 month old. She has gone from waking once in the night (around 4am) to waking at 11pm, 2am and 4am. This is following a period of being unwell and I think the wakings are a habit as I was breastfeeding her when she wakes and I have continued to do so hoping that she will stop waking on her own.
She goes to bed at night awake and settles herself to sleep without crying and I always put her down awake again after a night feed, which generally means I have to wake her up as she falls asleep feeding. She also naps really well during the day and settles herself without crying.
We have tried leaving her when she wakes to see if she will settle but she gets really upset and screams very loudly and then wakes up my toddler as well.
So my question is could I try wake to sleep for the 11pm awakening and if so what time should I go in?
The other option is pick up put down but I'm not sure how this would work? She seems quite wilful so how long would I use PUPD for?

Thanks in advance, it's getting exhausting as I am up early with toddler who us very active during the day.

Last point- I thought that as she is so good at self settling  that maybe something is bothering her to wake up in the night. I have tried having the room warmer and cooler and giving her calpol for teeth in case it is that. Do you think that the wakings are a habit and that she is used to having me to breastfeed her? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 13:41:47 pm by Ch10 »

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 6 month old waking in night
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 14:01:49 pm »
The wakings could be habitual as you say but there are other possibilities. How long has she been waking this way? When she wakes up, does she seem hungry? Have you tried settling her without a feed? Sometimes after an illness, babies start waking up more often to eat, especially if they had a loss of appetite while being unwell. She might simply need more food. If that is the case, things will go back to normal.

There is also a massive growth spurt at 6 mos. That's another thing to bear in mind. It's great that she is an independent sleeper but I think you can put her back in her crib without waking her after a night feed.

Another reason could be her routine. It would help if you could post your day in EASY format so..
E - 7
A -
S
We could then have a look at it and see if any tweaks are needed to get your IS back to normal!

Offline Ch10

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 15:05:43 pm »
Thanks for your help. So our routine looks like this:
Wakes: 6.30-7 in morning
E: 7am
A:7-9
S: 9am but only for 45 minutes
E: 10am
A: 10-1
E: 12.30
S: 1pm-3 or 3.30
E: 3.30/4pm
A: until bathtime at 6
E: feed at 6.15/6.30 before bedtime at 7

It does vary as sometimes if we are out with my toddler she will fall asleep in car on way home but generally the nap times are the same. We are still on first foods with weaning so I haven't put any mealtimes in.
At night time she does seem hungry when she wakes and won't settle without a feed. As soon as I pick her up she is rooting for a feed but is sound asleep again within 15 minutes. The frequent wakings has been going on for about two/three weeks now.

Thanks!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 15:14:59 pm »
Are you on a different routine to fit around your toddler? That is, short nap - long nap - long A time to bed?

Offline Ch10

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 15:23:59 pm »
Yes exactly, as we go to groups in the morning and  she will only sleep for one sleep cycle in her buggy. Or in her cot at 9 before we go out. She will sleep for much longer in her cot but if she had 2 long naps in the day then we would be at home all day as my toddler naps between 1.30-3 only in his bed (he is 2 yrs old).
Thanks

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 15:25:59 pm »
To be honest, your routine seems great to me. Since you say that she wakes up hungry but then promptly falls asleep, it could be that she isn't really having enough and so wakes up hungry again.

Would you consider doing a dream feed between 10 & 11? That way she can get the extra calories, and if nothing else, it will help you to rule out hunger as a cause for the wakings.  "How do I implement/drop the dreamfeed?"

Offline Ch10

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 15:35:49 pm »
Thanks I think I will try a dream feed over the next few nights and see how that works. Thanks for your time and help, will let you know how I get on.