Author Topic: Any point dropping the DF?  (Read 644 times)

Offline dumbmum101

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 11, 2015, 22:12:04 pm »
Hello, hello,

My LO is approaching 7mo but has never strung together more than about 3-4 hours of sleep at a time. At the moment our nighttime goes something like this:

7:15pm - bed - goes down awake. Self-settles with dummy.
9:30pm - wakes - re-settle quickly with dummy
Somewhere between 10:30-11:00pm - usually wakes so feed him as a not very dreamy DF (but he falls asleep at the end of his feed (unlatches himself, turns his head into crook of my arm and drifts off). Occasionally, he'll go through until 11pm so I manage a proper DF.
Somewhere between 2:30-3:30am - wakes for a feed.
May them sleep through until 6:30ish or may wake again at 5am ish - try to resettle with dummy. Have managed to hold off feeding him at this point.
Daresay, I should be trying to hold off the 2:30-3:30am feed and concentrate on the 5am feed but never seems to work like that. If I don't feed him at 2:30/3:30am window he just wakes up again about 45 mins later.

I am EBF'ing.

So - any point dropping the DF given all the above?
I'm almost 100% sure his NW's are due to an inability to resettle after a stretch of sleep, rather than hunger. He's on x3 meals a day (started to wean him at 5mo). And he's still on a typical 4hr EASY schedule. He eats loads and actually sloshes when I sit him up after most feeds!

TIA

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Any point dropping the DF?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 03:45:19 am »
It's really ultimately up to you whether you drop the DF.  You sound quite confident that his NW's are not related to hunger, in which case you could choose PU/PD or Shhh-Pat as a way to help him resettle himself back to sleep.  Do you think this is a habitual waking?  Does he wake at 2:30ish most nights?