Author Topic: Six week old in meltdown  (Read 745 times)

Offline Newborns Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 12, 2015, 21:14:13 pm »
Hi all

We started the routine with my six week old son last week. He'd fallen into the habit of only going to sleep on somebody after lots of cuddles at Christmas!

So far we've had mixed success - the nights are generally better than the day. The problem seems to be that he goes from being a perfectly happy chap during the activity stage to total meltdown within about 30 seconds. Our activity never lasts more than 30 minutes and is very calm. He goes from looking around smiling, then yawns the first time and when I pick him up then he just starts screaming.

It takes us usually about 30 minutes to settle him, and much of the time he wakes up after 10 minutes and then the whole process begins again. He's so over tired now that he can't handle it.

Any ideas on how to prevent getting him so wound up to begin with?

Thanks for your help? This board is so useful.

Laura

Offline Flowery1106

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:06 am »
Hi I'm new to the board and don't know much about BW as much as others do on this board, but I still thought I'd leave a comment!

In week 6, my LO was so fussy and wakeful during day/night asking for feed or to be held.
I've read that babies often go through growth spurt AND the wonder week at the same time in week 6.
So that's probably why they act more demanding than usual
as they are more hungry and overwhelmed by the new perspectives/development during that period.
So I wouldn't start the routine in week 6 (also that's what other books say), I'd suggest try it in week7?

My LO was back to good sleeper right after 6 week.
I think it's really 'one step back two steps forward' in regards to sleep matters (especially right after the growth spurt + wonder week).

HTH!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:40:16 am by Flowery1106 »

Offline Newborns Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:56:50 am »
That's a really good point, thanks! Maybe we should ease up for a few days. The thing is that when he does nap properly, he's so much happier when he wakes up, so in the long run it's obviously the right thing for him.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Six week old in meltdown
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:22:35 am »
You may need to watch the clock a little rather than look for sleep cues. At that age, by the time my babies were yawning they were already too tired to cope with any kind of wind down. I needed to be getting them swaddled right at the first yawn, so had to start winding down before then. The inconsolable screaming sounds overtired.

Offline Newborns Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 21:34:16 pm »
That's a good point. It seems he can only last about 15 minutes after feeding, but I think I've been spinning it out too long. Today's been slightly better - I was a bit more relaxed about it all. I think I may have been following the rules too rigidly rather than listening to him.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.