Author Topic: Weaning co-sleeper situations - experiences please  (Read 944 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Weaning co-sleeper situations - experiences please
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:18 am »
DS is only 8 weeks and he sleeps next to me, either in his basket or in a sleepyhead pod on the bed next to me (it is next to me rather than in the co-sleeper as he is on a cot wedge for his reflux and it doesn't fit the bedside crib - the pod is marketed for a number of things - and safer co-sleeping is one anyway).

He is FF, so I am not talking about co-sleeping in the traditional sense of the word. Indeed I know the safety is very much questioned when formula feeding.... Hence the co-sleeper/pod arrangement.

He wakes every 3 hrs for a feed (which is appropriate for age and size).

I just noticed last night that he was fussing after being out down. I went to the bathroom  ::), but as soon as I got in next to him he settled and went back to sleep.

The way the rooms are in my house, DS2 will not have his own room until he is 6-12 months. We have a large landing and the rooms are at opposite sides of it. Neither of my other kids is up for a room swap, so he just needs to sleep here until he sleeps well enough/ it is safe enough for the other room. I am NOT going between the rooms 15 times a night yk?!

I'm sure plenty of you have room shared/ used co-sleepers. What is your experience of weaning later? At some point I will start naps in his own room in the day - but it isn't decorated or ready yet so he is sleeping anywhere really  ::).

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
Re: Weaning co-sleeper situations - experiences please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:30:56 am »
We didn't cosleep per se but there were times when one of them ended up on me or next to me at some point of the night in the early weeks. Naps were generally in cots but during ww dd would often sleep on me. Anyway we kept the norm that they slept in their cots so with time it didn't become an issue. Dd was in our room till 5mths and then went to share with ds and was never a problem. So that was a roomshare situation so not cosleeping, not sure if it helps...
Re:decorating, these guys slept literally everywhere initially too, it's only since we put them in the same room at 5mths that they've had a room and even that isn't exactly decorated, just full of baby stuff which makes it a nursery :P

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 17:53:30 pm »
All mine start in a moses basket that's right up against my bed, but not in bed with me, even though they are bf'ed (only with #3 did I nurse lying down at night, I always sat up for the others). I also did not want to run into another room multiple times a night. DS1 went into his own room/crib at 5.5 months, DD at 6 months, and DS2 at 6.5 months (first moved him into a larger pac n play instead of his basket while still in my room). During the day they slept anywhere (living room, crib in bedroom, babysitter's house, or our room). None of mine had trouble when moved into their own room, the transition was really easy for them. I do notice when they are in our room that they only start being disturbed from our noise starting around 5 months or so, and more so in the morning than at night.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 20:42:34 pm »
Didn't co-sleep but had both of them in cots about two feet from my bed up til they were at least a year, older in LO2's case, nearly 18 mos, I think!  Had no trouble moving them to their own rooms at that point :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 21:21:01 pm »
R slept in bed with me for the longest time. So much so that if we have another baby we can use the cot mattress from her as it was used that little! And we weaned the co sleeping fairly easily. Think just gradually over time. Doing naps on her own helped with the nights.

Hugs Liz. I'm a disaster in the night so it was just easier to keep her in with me.

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 21:59:47 pm »
Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be with either of the big boys and they both had a boob in mouth prop going on. But they did do naps in their crib long before they did night time. H is still in with us.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 22:04:01 pm »
I also didn't co-sleep but had LO in a Moses basket just near my bed (I could touch him with my hands when he was moaning and I was almost asleep:). Kept that till around 12weeks when I thought his moses basket is being too small for him moving.
~Marta

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 22:15:46 pm »
Olly was in with us until 6 months old - is that still the recommended age now? We did start naps in his room much earlier though. I don't remember changing rooms being much of a problem. You just adjust them as would do any change - slowly and use whatever sleep training is appropriate at the time xx