Author Topic: Does anyone's LO hate getting dressed?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Melej

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Does anyone's LO hate getting dressed?
« on: February 13, 2008, 18:55:09 pm »
Firstly I didn't know which area to put this in, so feel free to move if needed.

My DD is 5.5 mo and absolutely loves bathtime. She's all smiles when getting undressed, loves splashing in the bath and enjoys a massage afterwards. However, as soon as we start getting her dressed she starts shouting and crying out (no tears but very vocal) and it seems to be a cry of frustration rather than pain or discomfort, but maybe I'm missing something! We have tried distracting her, bathing her at different times of the evening in case she OT and taking the dressing process real slow, but she still hates it. She can also be funny about putting a coat or cardi on during the day!

Anyone got any ideas why she's doing this or how I can make it a more enjoyable time for her?
TIA
Mel ~ mum to...

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Does anyone's LO hate getting dressed?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 14:05:57 pm »
My LO is much younger than Libby, and I'm a real novice at this whispering ;)

Stan also yells when he's getting into his nightclothes after a bath. My theory is that it's because he knows what happens next (which is that he gets fed) and he's just getting excited/frustrated in anticipation.

But I'll be watching other replies to your post with interest.

anna
x

Offline Melej

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 19:18:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply anna, sorry for not responding sooner I don't know where time goes!

We have the same routine and your probably right, that she knows whats coming next. I have also spoken to some friends recently and their LOs do the same too.

Tonight I gave Libby a massage downstairs instead of in her room and was able to get her dressed without a peep, so might try this for a while to see if the change of scenery distracts her or if it was a one off.

Thanks again
Mel ~ mum to...

Offline ark

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 19:59:23 pm »
My DS is almost 7 mos. and I just started having the same problem starting about a week ago.  He's fine getting undressed and dressed any other time, but not after bath/before bed.  It's a different kind of fussing/crying than normal.   
Andrea

Kaden 07/22/2007
Kindall 09/24/2009

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 20:15:59 pm »
My son is 2 and he has despised the dressing process right from day one!!  Sorry, that's not much comfort!

I try songs, getting him to make farmyard noises (now he's older) and trying to make it a bit more fun.

I also dress him as soon as he gets up - saves chasing him all over the house with each item of clothing, especially as he can now open all the doors!

Offline Melej

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 21:07:36 pm »
Thanks ladies. Glad to know I'm not alone on this.

Ark ~ Its exactly the same for DD she doesn't mind getting dressed/undressed at any other time. Let me know if you think of something that works!!!

Linfran ~ Oh blimey, I hadn't even thought about it when she's running around!!! Not a prospect I look forward too but thanks for the warning and tips!!!

I've thought about doing the bottle before the bath to see if this does anything but I don't want to do it too early as I think it could lead to other probs. Oh well will keep trying, mind you I dread the summer when the windows are open the neighbours will think I'm mad with all the noises I make trying to distract her!!!
Mel ~ mum to...