Author Topic: 7 month old is a crazy napper  (Read 1041 times)

Offline babyblueeyes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 10, 2006, 21:03:53 pm »
Help!!  I am having a meltdown re: my 7 month old daughter's napping.  We are on a 4 hour easy routine but it is very difficult for me to stay on track with it since naps are inconsistent.  She has been doing the 45 minute nap frequently so I am doing wake to sleep and it is working!  However, sometimes she takes  45 minute naps, sometimes a 2 hour naps and I am not sure what to do to adjust our daytime schedule.  She often talks in her crib for an hour when I put her down and this is after 2.25-2.75 hours of awake time.  So today she talked for 1.25 hours so I got her back up and then put her down 1/2 hour later and she talked for 10 minutes slept for 5 minutes (crazy!!!) and was awake talking again.  Now she has been awake for 5 hours and we are both having a meltdown.  PU/PD engages her even more so it is not a realistic option for us.  She sleeps 11-12 hours a night which I am grateful for but naps have always been a struggle.  SHould I start watching teh clock more and pick 2 nap times a day and consistently put her down at those times regardless of nap length or awake time (i.e. naps are at 8:30 and 12:30 eve)?  Here is what her routine looks like - any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

6:00 wake and play in crib
6:30 Nurse
7:15 breakfast
8:30 Nap
10:30 Nurse
Activity - time depends on nap lenth - varies greatly
12:30 Nap (earlier if short nap)
2:30 Nurse
Activity - again depends on nap length
6:00 Nurse/bedtime

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: 7 month old is a crazy napper
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 16:23:26 pm »
Hi, sorry you are having troubles - i hate those short naps!

It here any pattern to the short naps - is it the am or pm?

Have you tried gradually extending her A times, it sounds like she is not tired enough when you put her down?

I looked that the A times for 6-8mos for you:

2.5 after am wake up – usually 1.5-2.0hr in length
2-3hr after end of am nap – same as above

So if you did a set schedule this would be the ideal (adjust for your wake up time)- also if she refuses her pm nap because she slept for 2hr in the am then wake her after 1.5hrs. 
7am wake
9.30 am nap – wake no later then 11am
1.00 or 2.00 pm nap – wake no later then 4pm
7.00 – 7.30 bed

does that help some?