Author Topic: Kitchen Protocols When Some one in the Family Has a Life-Threatening Allergy?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
My DH is allergic to beans (kidney, black, etc).  His reaction is anaphalxis (throat, tongue, lips, etc swell).  Sometimes he'll have a little contact and he'll feel his throat swelling, but it doesn't progress.  Even when he has a larger reaction, he always has time to take benadryl and that resolves the reaction. 

Lately he's been noticing himself have small reactions at times when he doesn't think he's eaten anything to which he should be reacting.  However, I've been using beans more for meals for the kids and me. 

I'm wondering if DH's reactions are a cross-contamination issue? 

If I cook beans in a pan, if I just wash it, is it then safe to use for food for DH?  Or do I need to take more elaborate precautions?  Should I have separate dished for him?  If I wash it in the dishwasher on high heat/sanitizer mode would that be better? 

I was going to make some waffles that incorporate white beans in the batter.  Now I'm wondering if I put them on the waffle-maker if I will contaminate it.   :-\

Any thoughts?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
If he s reacting through cross contamination then I would be ultra careful. I don't know the answer but a thorough wash with hot soapy water?

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
We tend to wash things in the dishwasher bc of the fact that we have most of ds's allergens around. That being said, as far as i know ds is only anaphylactic to peanut butter and i don't cook with peanut butter. Maybe try putting the things that are contaminated with beans in the dishwasher, and avoid porous cooking utensils like wooden spoons and woodencutting boards. I would be wary of using the waffle iron. I do nnotice that ds is more sensitive to cross contamination when there are seasonal allergens around - the spring was particularly horrible, and i'm getting more hints of it as we're approaching fall. Any chance your dh has any seasonal allergies?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Even when he has a larger reaction, he always has time to take benadryl and that resolves the reaction. 

Does he have an epi pen? If not, I would really recommend he get one as past reactions do not predict future ones and benadryl will not be enough to stop full blown anaphylaxis.  A few of my neices and nephews have anaphylactic allergies and they all have multiple epi pens to make sure there are some everywhere (home, school etc).

If it were me, I would get separate dishes if he is having cross contamination reactions (or it is quite possible he is developing a new allergy!) and def. not use the waffle iron for him if you use beans in the recipe.

Oh, and this is a good site, even if he isn't a kid with food allergies, there are tons of resources: http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/?gclid=CO3XnseLjrICFahAMgodAlcAsw  I know I have read stuff on there about dishwasher vs. hand washing vs. separate dishes.
Heidi

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Even when he has a larger reaction, he always has time to take benadryl and that resolves the reaction. 

Does he have an epi pen? If not, I would really recommend he get one as past reactions do not predict future ones and benadryl will not be enough to stop full blown anaphylaxis.  A few of my neices and nephews have anaphylactic allergies and they all have multiple epi pens to make sure there are some everywhere (home, school etc).

I keep telling him this, but he won't believe me. :(   

Thank you for the input.  I'll dig around to see what additional info I can find!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
That's too bad Bethany! I'm guessing in typical man fashion he probably wouldn't see an allergist either? Honestly, sometimes I wish they would just prescribe an epi pen to every household because allergies are becoming so prevalent!
Heidi