Author Topic: Night waking 10 months  (Read 2654 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Night waking 10 months
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:54 am »
So my little guy has been doing some funny night wakings at the moment- a couple of weeks ago he started waking and i was feeding him- but the wakings got later and later- from around 1am.. till they were gone... weird- lasted a week. Last week he had tonsilitis and i was feeding him when he woke as i was keen for him to get enough fluid while he was sick. He's pretty much better- and has been doing some more funny wakings.

Mostly i know the cause- eg- tonight he was up at 9pm as he was overtired, but last night he was cring at 10pm but resettled with no input, then awake again at 11pm- this time i fed him but he also needed some holding- plus i needed to sit on the chair in the room while he put himself to sleep... Not sure what this waking was about... he was also awake again at 4...

So- the wakings are all different times- but he's started 'demanding' a feed before he resettles- like tonight- was beside himself in my arms trying to get down for a BF and then as soon as i fed him he popped into bed and went to sleep- i'm not feeding him to sleep at all (once or twice perhaps- but mostly he;s awake).

So- should i continue feeding him if he wakes for another week or so till i'm sure this infection is gone? Or should i make a break for it and go hard line on the feeds and not feed him at night. The wakings are at different times.. does this mean that it's hunger?

Thanks!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: Night waking 10 months
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 21:09:59 pm »
At this age hun if DS wasn't having a NF before he got I'll then I doubt he needs that feed TBH. Unless his sore throat and illness means that he is not eating too well in the day? If he is eating well than I would imagine he has just got used to that comfort of a feed yk? It could well be that as he wakes or comes in to lighter sleep he wants the feed but doesn't 'need' it. What do you think?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 21:27:59 pm »
I would agree- he hasn't been having night feeds for ages. It was just the funny thing a couple of weeks ago. I've been trying to cut him down to 3 feeds in the day- but that isn't really sitting well with me- i keep thinking he could be hungry. I might introduce a snack if i'm going to do that (he's already on 3 meals).

Ok- so assuming he's had 3-4 feeds in the day and 3 meals of solids and he's not hungry (he's pretty much better from his illness- he was off his food during that)- when he wakes up in the night- whatever the time- i should do anything but feed him- correct? Or should i feed him a little while longer and hope the wakings and feeds go... (because that always works ::) )

Last night he was up at 9.30 or so- i assume that was OT (DLS finished...) and also at 1:30am- he has never woken so close to midnight before this last week or so- usually more like 4am- is there a reason for this do you think? Or just a lighter phase of sleep...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:13:46 am »
We had this happen too around 10 months after illness. I think they get a bit more aware of what they want and with us it was 2 weeks of illness with NF then Z woke for a NF for the next week before I realised he didnt need it but was waking for it IYKWIM.

I would certainly wait until you are confident he is well, even if it means a trip to the Drs to say you want to check ears and throat etc are clear.

If he was an independent sleeper with no NF before he will go back to it pretty quickly when he realises its not on offer anymore ;) We always removed the NF by DH doing the settling at the NW (as I was BF) and DH did anything he liked to help Z sleep - but I couldnt go in and feed :(

Also - Huge developmental leap around 10 months I think :-\ wont help ::)

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:09 am »
YEah- he's a totally independent sleeper usually and we've been so lucky with the night wakings... The school holidays are coming up and DH is a teacher- so i think i'll keep the feeds up for a week longer (4 days- till easter) and then i'll be sure he's better- and i can get DH to get up and do the hard yards!! He just pushes off me and tries to get down for a feed- screaming!! Developmental leap at 10 months ::)

Thanks ladies! I'll let you know how it goes!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 02:23:04 am »
Good plan re waiting till hols. You need to be ready too - At this age they put up a good fight for what they want too :( I remember Zac cried for an hour with DH, but by the third night he was fine again :) :-*
***Sara***

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 02:27:54 am »
We had the same thing with the tonsillitis, Katy. If you give it a few more days and he's anything like DS has been, he'll drop the NF again :P I was one day away from re-weaning the NF and he STTN...

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:35:58 am »
I was one day away from re-weaning the NF and he STTN...
Im so jealous of you :P I was a hoping with Z! FXed for you that he does it on his own Katy
***Sara***

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:02:13 am »
I'm pretty lucky, Sara :P

He was an independent sleeper who STTN most nights before the tonsillitis, so that may have been part of the reason he went back to it.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:19 am »
Sounds like it's probably just post-illness antics - we had that too around 11 months ::) - but teeth is the other thing to keep in mind Katy. My LO always wants NFs when her gums are uncomfortable. She's down to only 2 day feeds by now but she's teething molars badly atm and awake several times a night and every time she asks for "mama mulk" (lil kiwi ;)) and she's so sad and hopeful and I feel SO MEAN saying no! With earlier teething bouts I did feed, and F went back to STTN when the teeth were through.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:43 am »
Ok- i think then that the 4 days will tell me if he's going to wean in his own or not- DH is happy enough with that idea. He's been so good previously that we could be lucky like you becJ-

That's the thing Nuala with babies- if it's not one thing it's another!! I think that he;s also gotten suddenly a lot more capable of actually indicating clearly that he wants milk- i think until recently he'd just sort of get grumpy.. now he is very clear!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 13:12:23 pm »
My goodness, have been asleep overnight and so much to catch up on! LOL. For what it is worth Katy I agree with all of the advice. Your plan sounds good and yes if he hasn't dropped that NF in a few days then you know it is time to wean it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 13:14:42 pm »
Ok- tomorrow is the night- still no budging on the NF- i thought i had hm last night as hw cried on an off for a little while then nothing- THEN worked out he needed to do the 'i NEED you MUMMY' cry- so no it's not leaving on it's own just yet.

Advice- do i just tell DH to do whatever he needs to do- or should i a)learn about PUPD (or PD) and then b) teach DH- or just consider that DH will STILL just do what he wants to do and save myself the effort?!?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 13:47:15 pm »
Ha ha! Well hun if it was my DH I wouldn't even bother as he would do his own thing anyway! Maybe just let him know anything he does do (in terms of AP) could become a prop if used for more than a few days. Hopefully it won't take that long though. Good luck!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 19:29:28 pm »
Agree with Bex, my DH has always just done what he had to to break boobie prop :P It never created a new one. We did have to use WI/WO later on to break it but that was because Z cant be APed anymore (this was 13 months though)
***Sara***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 00:16:00 am »
THanks ladies for your support!! We had one VERY long Bed time, followed by 1.5 hours with DH at 2am... and then the past 2 nights have been essentially NW free! (last night ws awake at 4am but resettled...)

Thanks again!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 00:40:42 am »
:) :) :)
***Sara***

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 19:32:21 pm »
Yay! Long may it continue. Well done to you, DH and H of course!