Author Topic: Need some help with my 33 month old and sleep problems  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Brobie0812

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need some help with my 33 month old and sleep problems
« on: February 28, 2014, 14:57:56 pm »
Ok I need some serious help here. My son who is 33 months old used to be an amazing independent sleeper since birth. Everything went crazy when I transitioned him to the toddler bed at 30 months. I used to be able to put him in crib and he'd sleep all night no nw. Now I have to sit by his bed until he falls asleep and he wakes 2/3 times at night for me lay with him.  He used to sleep 7pm-7/8am with a 2 hour nap. For the past 2 months he doesn't fall asleep until 8/8:30 and wakes up at 6 or earlier!!  He's tired all morning cause he just carries his blanket around. I usually lay him down for nap around 12 but sometimes he doesn't fall asleep until close to 1. He fights nap and I have to sit on the floor in his room.  He'll usually sleep for an hour and half.  I know I went through something similar with my dd but I'm just so tired. I don't  know if he's ut or ot and what to do. He's only getting 10 hours of sleep at night and that's with him waking a few times. I know that's not enough for him. Suggestions please!   

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Need some help with my 33 month old and sleep problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:40:58 am »
Hi,
Ok well this is common nap dropping time so he likely still needs a nap but too much and it will take from the night sleep and then you are stuck in a vicious cycle of ut/ot. If it were me I would set the nap for 1.30pm and allow a max of 1.5 hours. Then aim for BT to be 7.30pm and see how you go. I would imagine he has got OT but napping at 12pm is really early for his age so I would def push that out and then we can see how easily he goes down at night and judge what time that needs to be.

My DD is 33 months today and she now only has a 1 hour nap at 1.30pm and BT is 7-7.15pm and there are plenty at this age who only nap every few days or so.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:44:33 am »
Hi and welcome to BW. It does sound like your DS might be getting ready I work on dropping that nap. My dd is 28 months and she is currently on the following routine:

Some days no naps:

WU: 7/7.20
BT:6.30/7pm

Some days inc nap:

WU/7/7.30
Nap: 2.30/3pm - 4.30/5pm
BT: 8.30/9.30 ish

So if is quite variable. Have a read here:
The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.

Also, perhaps you need to slowly wean off needing to be with him when he's going to sleep. Have you read this:
Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

What do you think?

Posted with Becky :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Brobie0812

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 18:44:40 pm »
Ok ladies thanks. So last night he went to bed late 8:45 cause we were out to dinner. I stayed on the floor at the end of his bed until he alseep. He woke at 11:40,1:20 and almost 5. I went in first two times and quickly tucked him back and sang a quick song and left. But the last wake up at almost 5 I just laid with him. He slept until almost 6:40.  I pushed his nap back from 12 to 1:30. He fell asleep within min but I needed to sit by his door.  So I may just see how long he naps rather than wake him today cause we have dinner at a friends tonight and prob won't be home til 8.   As far as walk in walk out goes how do I do this when he just gets out of bed every time I try to leave the room? He wants me to sing to him how do I go about stopping that habit too?

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:21:59 am »
Does he get up at nap and BT then?
Does he have a gate on the door? I think I would use that because it can quickly become a game when they are in a big bed and as long as he is not v distressed he does not really need you. Sleep time needs to be a boring time ;)

Offline Brobie0812

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:14:52 pm »
He does have a gate that I've tried to put up and he just stands at it screaming and he eventually kicks or pushes it down. He woke up 3x last night which could have been ot cause we were out and he didn't get to bed until 9   The first 2x he woke I just tucked him in and left the room. By the 3rd time at 3am I was too tired and just laid with him. But at 6:30 am he sat right up like an internal alarm went off. I don't understand why he won't just sleep later.  I'm going to do a later nap again today like yesterday.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 14:18:47 pm »
sounds like he could do with a few earlier nights - is that possible?

Offline Brobie0812

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 14:36:59 pm »
I agree!!! He needs to be in bed very early. Tomo will be possible to do that. What would you suggest? As far as what the day should look like it he wakes at 6:30 tomo morning?

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 13:41:37 pm »
If he wakes at 6.30am I would do a nap at 1/1.30pm for MAX 1.5 hours and then BT 7.30pm. Good luck!