Author Topic: Lack of interest in milk  (Read 992 times)

Offline Josiepops

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Lack of interest in milk
« on: March 23, 2011, 14:42:11 pm »
Hi there,

About 3/4 weeks ago my 5 month old started to become more and more fussy when taking the bottle.  So far he has been a monster when given a bottle and started clearing 7oz from a very early age.  Then about 2/3 weeks ago he started waking earlier and earlier and then at 4am.  We started weaning and are now in week 2 but my LO is becoming less and less interested in milk, which I know is his main source of calories and is probably what is leading to the last 2 weeks of 4am wake ups (which is the only time now he will drink 7oz).  It's also worth saying that from 8-19 weeks my LO sleep 12 hours straight apart from a few day blip at 11-12 weeks.

So my main issue is that he isn't interested in his bottle after 3-4 oz, I then feed him a solid meal (mixing in a bit of the bottle or try to get him to take this to wash down his meal) but I invariably end up with half of it left and 4am wake ups.  I really don't think there are any other opp's to give him more milk in the day without ruining his routine but he just won't go back to sleeping through.

Can anyone help??? 

Rough EASY

7:30 - 8:30 bottle/breakfast
9 - 10:20 S (1hr 20)
11:30 -12:30 bottle/lunch
12:45 S (2hr 20)
4-5 bottle/dinner
5:15 S (cat nap)
7:15 bottle
7:30 bed

(never done DF and LO is major refluxer - medicated with gaviscon)
(also naps went to these durations in last 4 weeks (before solids) - previously were ALWAYS 25-40 mins)

Thank you very much for taking the time to help x ???

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Lack of interest in milk
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 16:01:14 pm »
Two things that jump out as possibilities:

1. Is it perhaps time to change teat size on the bottle to a faster flow?  This is often a reason why LO's get frustrated/disinterested in the bottle.
2. What amount of solids is he eating?  Maybe he is getting too much, which is affecting his milk intake.  At 5 mo, when solids are just starting, many LO's are only eatings solids once or twice a day, just a teaspoon or two.

Oh, he could also be teething, and the sucking action could be bothering his gums.

Offline Josiepops

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:10:57 am »
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.  I had thought it was the teat but when I tried a larger one it kinda poured out of him and with him having bad reflux it didn't sit well with him.  I did only try this once - it is something I should persist in ??

You make an interesting point re quantities of food.  To be honest I'm really confused by this.  I have moved onto 3 meals a day (always giving milk first) as he seems to have an endless appetite for solids (apart from broccoli :) I haven't found anything yet which explains quantities of milk v's solids.  The books say start at a small quantity but then the odd supermarket item I've tried are all 120g.  I also made up a HIPP breakfast cereal (4 month +) today following their guidelines and it filled an entire bowl (200g+)!!!!!!

I'm interested in whether I am speeding up to quickly on solids, but isn't that the end point anyway????

I'd be grateful of your thoughts.

Jo

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 13:42:28 pm »
Well, maybe somebody else can jump on here too, and give you more info...

I would say that with regards to the teat size, yes, there is some degree of trial and error involved.  It often takes them a few days to get used to a faster flow.  With my 6.5 mo, I went to a Size 3 avent teat at about 5 months, but that transition took me about 3 weeks.  I kept switching back and forth btw the size 2 and 3, bc she too, has a lot spill from around the sides.  This still happens, so I often feed her with a bib on.  When she is really motivated, however, or drinking in her sleep, she hardly spills any, which makes me think it is the way she is sucking on it, not that it is too big.  You may have to experiment for a while, and there is nothing wrong with staying on the lower flow teat as needed.

Food quantities are quite variable.  Some babies eat little, others will keep accepting food until you need to cut them off yourself, lest they lose their appetite for the bottle.  From my experience, and what I see on this board, a 5 mo usually eats only about 1-2 tbsp/oz at one time.  Most of the baby good jars here are about 3.5-4 oz, which is maybe 120-150g.  That is a lot of expect a 5 mo to eat at one time.  My 6.5 takes about 1.5 jars of baby food spread out over the entire 3 feeds a day.

HTH, and I hope someone else can add to this.