Author Topic: 3 hour cycle at a different time every day...  (Read 696 times)

Offline nicolas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
3 hour cycle at a different time every day...
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:20:54 am »
Hi everyone,

Question: Is it ok that our 3hr cycle is different each day?  I don’t know if that makes it harder for him. Nicolas wakes at different times each night, and starts his day between 6 and 7:30- sometimes eating at 6 and sometimes at 7. Therefore, our cycle is often at different times. Within reason, should I try to keep the times more consistent?

Here are the 3 bfing cycles our day may follow depending on what time he wakes at night.

5,8,11,2, 5,7

I don't know if this is necessary, but here is all the other info. about Nicolas Cael, feel free to skip over it if it doesn't help answer the question. Thank you!
liana

-Basics: 4 months old, no lovie, no paci, uses one-arm swaddled at night and sometimes during day, no major milestones or changes in his environment yet.

-Eating: bf only, one side at each feed, usually between 10-15 minutes. Used to be longer, but in the last few weeks he has become more efficient.  I know he’s done when he starts going on and off the breast a lot (and I have already burped him.)

- EASY: started EASY at 2.5 months, before that, he was a snacker who bf to sleep, and often had naps beside me in bed.

-Our Routine:
I can write down what the routine is based on, but it seems like every day it changes a bit. He eats on a 3 hr cycle. Sometimes he naps for 45min, or 1h, and he sometimes does a 2-3hr nap in the afternoon (just started this.) I wake him if he is missing a feeding.

6 or 7am: wake up time. (He often bf at 6 and then sleeps next to us until 7.)
8:30 Sleep (tried to keep him up for 2h, but he gets really fussy at 1.5.)
9:15- E and A
11:00-11:40 Sleep
12:00-1:30 E and A
1:30-2:10 Sleep (recently started doing a 2hr nap sometimes here)
3:00- E
4-4:45- Sleep
Cluster feed at 5 and 7pm, or sometimes 4,6, and 7 if he bf at 7am.

What do you do for A time and how long is it?
Almost always 1.5 hours. He usually shows signs of being tired. If we are doing errands with car, our routine can change slightly.

Activity: Tummy time on bed or mat, talking and playing with body or toys, Listen/dance to music, walks, play mat, errands, park with mommy&me club,  visit dad at office, or grandparents’ house, in swing or vibrating chair when I need to shower, or eat breakfast or lunch and am alone. 

*He goes down more easily for naps than night time, when he cries for 10-15 minutes.

What’s nap routine?
Usually after  1.5 hour of A time, he will start rubbing eyes and getting fussy. We go to room, play soft music, close curtains, sit for a few minutes, then I bounce until groggy and shhpat in crib.

How long are naps?
Until 2 weeks ago, Nicolas only slept for 45 min. max. But now some of his 45 min. naps become an hour, and on 4 or 5 occasions, he has taken a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.

How many wakes per night?
After df between 10-11pm, he used to wake two more times-usually 3 hours apart. 
For the last 1.5 weeks, he is waking every 2 hours, including an hour and 1.5 hours after going to sleep. (which makes me think he is overtired and may need a cat nap at 5pm instead of 4:00)
I don’t know if the every 2h wakings are bc I keep bfing him during the night, or if it is a result of our new bouncing to sleep prop.

Offline rebecaq

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
Re: 3 hour cycle at a different time every day...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 12:52:06 pm »
Wow!!!!! What an organized and watchful mommy!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can say with all certainty that you are doing everything extremely well! It doesn;t matter that the times aren;t the same everyday. The important thing is that he's on a predicatable routine, napping well (and getting better!) growing and happy.

Kudos to you!!!!

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline nicolas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 3 hour cycle at a different time every day...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 19:23:47 pm »
THanks Beca,
I was wired last night, and decided to go for it with recording his information.  I thought the longer naps was a good thing too. But because he has started waking more frequently at night, someone suggested that the irregular nap times during the day might be causing him to be over-tired. I am guessing that on the example EASY routines, they show some for when a baby starts having long afternoon naps?

thanks for the reply, liana