Author Topic: wakes sometimes 8 times a night!!  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Lucas & Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Houston, we have a problem!!!
wakes sometimes 8 times a night!!
« on: August 21, 2006, 10:39:30 am »
Please help.  My LO is 4.5 months and on a 3.5 hr EASY with hope to move to 4 hr soon.  His naps have been getting shorter and are now only 30 mins on a bad day to 1hr on a good day.  He is bathed at 6.30pm and fed at 7.00 - put into cot to sleep with no rocking etc but with paci and blanket which he often uses to cover his eyes!! room is very dark with only small amount of light from top of curtain.  LO also likes to have his ocean wave sounds on to sleep which goes off after approx 15 mins.

LO is bottle fed but is now starting solids as is over 18lbs, he drinks 7 or 8 oz when not eating food and 4 or 5 oz with solid food.  He also sometimes has another 4 or 5 oz at night.

He was sleeping well made it through the night with only occasional night feeds by 3 mths.  This stopped approx 1 mth ago during so called English "heatwave" - it got too hot for him to sleep in his room so i put in him travel cot and slept downstairs with him, he would sleep with a fan on and i wonder if he now misses the noise - we have also recently moved him into own room so he can't even hear is breathing in the night.

When he wakes he generally wants to have his paci and will not sleep without it - even when i try to take it out after a short period of relaxing.  sometimes he will need to have head stroked, hand held to go back to sleep and generally better if ocean sounds put on for him to concentrate on.  When he was in our room i would try to soothe him to sleep before he cried too loudly as did not want to wake daddy up but feel that this has caused another problem as he may have become dummy dependent.  Sometimes will settle in a few minutes, sometimes can take 30-45 mins!

I think Lucas is cross cutting his teeth as it looks like right eye teeth ready to come out very soon and this could be causing him a lot of pain - very grumpy during the day, drools, chews, nappy rash, red cheek etc.

Tends to wake early each day for bottle but if he has had a night feed he will only take 3 or 4 oz

Routine looks like this - with a lot of variation with naps!!!
somewhere between 5.30 & 6.30 - wake & milk feed 7oz
7.00 - sleep
8.30- wake
9.30 - 5oz milk feed & cereal
10.30 - nap
11.30 - wakes - should be sleeping until 12.00 but can't seem to get there very often
12.30 - 5oz bottle & solids
1..30 -2.00 - nap
2.30 - 3.00 wakes - should be sleeping from 2.00 - 3.30 but never makes it
4.00 - 5oz bottle + solids
4.15 - 4.30 catnap
6.15 - 6.30 bath
7.00 bottle & bed

know he is overtired but if i put him down early he wakes even earlier  eg today napped from 10am to 10.45 - now don't know whether to feed him at 12.30 or move back to 12.00 and settle for early nap

very confused - please help
Emma T x

Offline Lucas & Mum

• BW Devotee
Re: wakes sometimes 8 times a night!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:48:40 am »
forgot to mention that we also give Lucas 8oz dream feed at approx 10.30 pm

child eats more than i do and I've still not lost my baby weight!! :D
Emma T x

Offline Diegos Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:59:19 am »
I think the pacifier is likely the issue.  It is a pretty common sleep distruption around four months.  Check out the FAQ section of the Props forum for information on weaning the pacifier. He's likely waking up every time it falls out and is dependent upon it to go back to sleep.
Laura

Offline Lucas & Mum

• BW Devotee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:05:20 am »
Thanks for advice - have started to try to break paci habit but hard going - roots for it and cries until put in but will stay asleep when it falls out.  Think he has got entrenched in this habit and thinks he needs it to go back off to sleep!  have started to not allow it in the day and then moving onto nap time, hopefully will get some respite soon.
woke at 9.45 last night crying for early dream feed, then at 11.40, 2.30 and again at 5am - each time only gave dummy and he went straight back off with no settling so i at least got a few hours in

will let you know how it goes
Emma T x

Offline Lucas & Mum

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 09:43:48 am »
Have weaned dummy & night waking are thing of the past (for now anyway!!)
Would like to say a big THANK YOU to Diego's Mummy for advice, moved to props boards and after a couple of weeks trying gradual removal method, we bit the bullet and went cold turkey - this helped naps as well as night time sleep and LO is a very happy bunny now.
Am sure I'll be back soon on another thread - keep smiling  :)
Emma T x

Offline Diegos Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 17:36:09 pm »
You are very much welcome!  Glad you were able to get it solved.  My first son became very addicted to his pacifier at about four months and we ditched it cold turkey too and did pu/pd.  Once the sleep settled down, I did keep the pacifier and use it a bit during the daytime, but never again for sleep.  It actually is a VERY useful tool for things like teething, sickness, car rides and the like.  I don't think you have to ditch it completely.  At about one and a half Diego went through a terrible sep. anxiety period with sleeps and we gave the pacifier back to him to sleep with.  It was extremely comforting and by then he could put it in and out himself and find it in his crib of course.

So....... something to think about.

:)
Laura

Offline Lucas & Mum

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 09:58:52 am »
Thank you sooo much for your last post, was actually something i was going to post about as LO will not sleep in pushchair now i don't give him the dummy - ok most of the time but we went on 4 mile walk a couple of weekends ago with SIL and her LO and Lucas more or less cried the whole way - had to pick him up & carry him in the end and leave DH to push empty buggy!!!  What made it worse was we had to keep going to get back to car so it wasn't like we could just turn back - felt awful and sure other people looking at me in disgust with my tearful baby.  Will try keeping one just for buggy emergencies and see how that goes
 :D
Emma T x